m4a support on traktor 3.6? and Windows 11

Comments

• DJ Raena
    DJ Raena Member Posts: 15 Member

@Dirk Jan Dullemond Thanks for the suggestion. Ticket logged!

• DJ Raena

Some updated information, in case it might be useful.

Anecdotally I first noticed the Traktor M4A decode issue using 21h2 Win11 build, after installing the 2022-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64 based Systems (KB5017328) in conjunction with installing the 2022-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework (KB5017497).

For comparison purposes: The iTunes M4A files load and play successfully using VDJ-Pro as well as Audacity on the same PC with 22H2 Win 11 build.

• Dirk Jan Dullemond
    Dirk Jan Dullemond Member Posts: 15 Member

But also gives a clue to the NI designers where to look.... (I hope).

• Dirk Jan Dullemond

The ticket I logged for this issue has been closed (... resolved...). The solution was "Rollback auf das Win11-Update 21h2." and the promise that they are working on it (for a month ... and probably a bit longer). For now there is no real solution....

I work in IT, to be honest.. closing a ticket with no solution..., at best not acceptable. You close a ticket when there is a real solution, or you close a ticket (providing a workaround) and you open a new "problem" ticket to solve the real issue. (aaaaargh)

any way, I am disappointed.

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro

This is probably the same issue with the Beatport and Beatsource streaming, it was introduced with the Windows 11 22h2 update from 21h2.

It is very annoying but in almost all my years with Traktor, which is quite some time. This is the first major issue I have seen directly caused by Windows update not a Traktor update.

Meaning everything was working just fine.

I am not surprised this one is a headache for them. But since it is causing Beatport/Beatsource issues as well, I am sure it is high priority.

Here is a link to the other thread, definitely look through it.

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/6185/beatport-and-beatsource-crackling/p1

• DJ Raena

Please know that other audio software products, such as VirtualDJ and Audacity are successfully able to read and play iTunes M4A files with Win 11 22H2. Clearly something in Windows has changed but this did not impact the implementation of these other products. NI Traktor is the only application I am having issues with.

A support ticket was opened. They acknowledge there is some security update in Win11 22H2 which Traktor is not able to handle correctly. The suggested remedy is to fall back to Win 11 21H2.

This "solution" does not work for me due to my present work environment requirements.

I do *not* know if a bug fix request has been entered by support for the development team to look into a software repair for Traktor.

I do know that the support team is keen to close out my support request as "complete."

• Knaz84
    Knaz84 Member Posts: 39 Helper

I support you! I consider this a blatant case of disrespect for the audience and users. The software cannot be used. These things need to be fixed in a week, not postponed.

• Dirk Jan Dullemond

Indeed, this follows a similar pattern. And it does have to do with W11 higher than the initial release.

• Russel H
    Russel H Member Posts: 5 Member

I have had the same issues with M4A AAC files since the recent Win 11 update. It is interesting though that the AAC files which cause issues in Traktor Pro 3 play without problems in my Traktor DJ2 on the same laptop.

It does indicate that this is an issue specific to how Traktor Pro 3 handles these files. If I convert the problem file to MP3 using Audacity it will play in Traktor Pro 3 without any problems.

Because I use iTunes to manage my music and have almost 10k AAC music files this is causing me a huge problem. I have raised a support ticket.

• Dirk Jan Dullemond

Just checked the 3.8 BETA, seems the issue is gone (as they said it would). Check it out.

• madevos
    madevos Member Posts: 2 Member

There are no sollutions yet for the m4a problem on windows 11, even if you update or reinstall, m4a keeps on sounding bad. This has gone on for long enough, this is a payed program. We should get better suport!

• madevos
    madevos Member Posts: 2 Member

In native access I can’t find this version. I can get version 3.71337 m4a still sounds like ******…

• DJ Raena

Having posted on this issue previously (m4a support on traktor 3.6? and Windows 11 — Native Instruments Community (native-instruments.com)) I gave the 3.8 BETA (3.8.0.43) a try. The decode issue I experienced appears to be resolved.

• DJ Raena

Sorry, I spoke to soon. M4A issues are not resolved in beta 2. After continued testing I am experiencing random gain issues on iTunes M4A tracks on a Windows 11 22H2 systems. Curiously this happens with new tracks downloaded from iTunes (vs. existing tracks already in the collection.) I posted details here: 3.8.0 Beta 2 uploaded - Page 2 — Native Instruments Community (native-instruments.com).