Wrench icon and Edit Mode functionality missing in Kontakt 7 rack?

Options
13»

Answers

• Larka
    Larka Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

It has been a while on this conversation but I have the same problem. Just updated to the newest Kontakt 7 and still no Wrench icon, Edit mode. I love the new things in Kontakt 7, much easier to navigate through but why I need the edit mode is because some plugins are in group channel which of course I don't want. Still no development about it? The only way is I import the old Kontakt and set up only that instrument without adding other sounds on other channels. But there may be another way.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,747 mod
    edited February 21
    Options

It's not specifically a Kontakt 7 issue but rather a limitation for some newer libraries that use scripting etc that is not user editable (including Factory Library 2). Create a new library and the functionality is still there, and also for many other libraries including The Light Trilogy, Piano Colors, even Playbox.

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 282 Pro
    Options

some plugins are in group channel which of course I don't want.

There are 2 problems here. The main one (unless I've misunderstood the poster) is that there seems to be a bug in Kontakt which when loading an instrument changes the channels of individual groups within the instrument to omni. This gives rise to the dreaded "MIDI Ch [A] 1 + Groups" in the instrument header. This is almost certainly not normal! Are there actually any instruments that have separate channel numbers for individual groups? This is a well established bug probably introduced in Kontakt 6, highlighted by reffahcs recently with a video showing how to circumvent it. No-one seems to be addressing this bug, which is not affecting me because (thank God) I have stayed with K5. Doesn't someone want to start a ticket with NI?

The 2nd problem is that you can't correct the effects of this bug in instruments (like all the K2 Factory Library) that are locked to editing. This problem can't be circumvented.

• nelligan tetrault
    nelligan tetrault Member Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I too have the wrench problem Icon. I'm not too advanced in regards to "creating my own library", but I'd be willing to try...

Basically i'm just trying to add a small scrip to a piano vst in order to turn off the lights on my s88 mk2 (EXACTLY as per the instruction on this video). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdTCvWetJe4&t=88s

Tried with Grandeur, NOIRE, Una corda, etc. They all don't have the wrench. Anyone have a solution/suggestion for that?

Only thing that worked so far, is to go backward, use kontakt 5 with older vst like the GIANT, The gentleman. (not as nice as those nice vsts mentionned above but they won't load inside kontakt 5)

Thanks

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

As mentioned earlier in the thread, those instruments without the wrench icon are locked and cannot be edited.

• nelligan tetrault
    Options

Well, he clearly edit the instrument "The grandeur" into his video, and i'm trying to do the exact same thing. I don't know which kontakt was out in 2021 (time of video) but it was obviously able to load the grandeur at that time.

How is this possible that something so simple that was working is not anymore. And without any alternative?

It feels like NI is going backward sometimes (like removing the light guide on/off from the mk1 to the mk2)..

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

I gave a look at the video and you're right on both accounts. The video is two years old so somewhere during that time NI decided to lock down their instrument? My gut says they're concerned about protecting their intellectual property, but I could be wrong. Who knows. Perhaps @Jeremy_NI or some other NI folks can shed some light as to why so many instruments can't be edited now.

If you're just trying to turn the lights off as you mentioned, it seems like you could do what one comment suggested. Load Kontakt and to create an empty instrument, one with no lights. Set it to MIDI channel 1, then load another instrument, the one you actually want to play. Set it to MIDI channel 1 as well. Go back to the empty instrument, the lights should go out but you should still be able to play the 2nd instrument, because they're both on MIDI channel 1.

That's the best I got for you, I'm fairly certain that should work though. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,747 mod
    Options

It does seem anomalous that The Grandeur is locked as that is an old library and particularly given you can edit The giant and The Gentleman which are pretty much the same generation of libraries

• nelligan tetrault
    Options

Okay thanks for pointing that out. This is the message I have (although all my products are up to date in native access)!

I've also tested UNA CORDA (pure, felt) don't work in kontakt 5, but Cotton works. ^.^ thats wierd!