Maschine+ compatible audio interfaces thread

Comments

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 604 Guru
    edited July 2022

To clarify, using the 276 via bus power with M+ does work, but has issues, like you cannot set output volume to max etc without the audiointerface starting to glitch out, as well as other intermittent issues. Plugging in an ext USB power brick to supply extra power eliminates all these issues. My take on it is that UAD designed the 276 around the USB-C power spec, but found out in testing that it sorta works with USB2 as well (which is actually a bit disingenious; it only partially works)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,881 mod

Thanks, that's quite interesting. The power thing sounds like they are straight using blatant lies in the marketing tho, as they list it as using USB2 power specs. 🫣

• Koldunya
    Koldunya Member Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2022

My Zoom H6 works in "iPad Mode" (ie class-compliant mode), which gives you a stereo mix of the 6 inputs.

Hopefully I remember to test my XTone Pro this weekend; Stereo input/output, also a DI XLR out, and the right input is XLR capable of Phantom power. Also has headphone out, and it's class-compliant. Plus it has 6 footswitches that send MIDI, and MIDI DIN I/O.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru

I haven't put much testing in; but the Zoom H8 seems to work in full multitrack mode. You get all 12 inputs (though you can only use 8 of them because NI thinks that all you need). The H8 has 10 possible inputs + a stereo mix.

I didn't buy it with intentions of using it with maschine, but I can test further if anyone is interested.

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 170 Advisor

Thanks for this tip! My M+ and Audio4c interface lost connection every now and then, so I gave your suggestion a try.

Maschine Plus connected to A4C USB-C1

iPad (with AUM) connected to USB-C2 (powered)

Audio settings (where possible) set to 24bit / 48khz

Findings:

With the Audio clock set to the A4C the signal is clear, but connection is unreliable. When the interface connect drops it should be manually toggled / reselected from M+ settings to reconnect. The iPad’s audio stream (synth app via AUM) remains stable.

With the Audio clock set to the iPad (AUM active) the connection is unstable, too. Same problems as before and the signal seems to suffer from a bit more crackles and pops.

Finally, with the Audio clock set to the port connected to the M+ the connection remains stable and the audio signal is nice and clear.

I hope NI is willing to add decent clock control settings to the Maschine Plus, too. With one main stereo output the M+ shouldn’t be considered to be always the master, but a slaved sampler.

Regards,

Maik

• fkaNous
    fkaNous Member Posts: 7 Member

Has anyone tested the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen?

• kasselvania
    kasselvania Member Posts: 5 Member

I have found that both the OP-1 Field and TX-6 do not work in a stable form. The audio will cut out after a few minutes, needing one to go in to settings, and cycle through the interfaces.

I’ve written a support request ticket. I’m curious though, have some of these other devices support been patched?

• MaikR

Just curious, did you let the M+ be the Audio Clock Master (so connected devices set to Slave)?

• diogoterror
    diogoterror Member Posts: 4 Member

I've been using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and it works, but I get periodic time-outs. I can't set the clock source on the 18i20 to USB, only ADAPT or S/PDIF. If anybody has any tips, that'd be great.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,881 mod

What's time-out? Does it require you to reconnect the interface?

• diogoterror
    diogoterror Member Posts: 4 Member

I lose audio completely, as if the interface has crashed. I have to go in Maschine settings and change the interface to the internal, then change again to the 18i20 as to 'restart' it to get the audio back.

• MaikR

Sounds to me that NI (and/or Focusrite) should implement the option to set the device to act as a slave. As described above, I’ve experienced exactly the same problem with the iConnect interface. After switching it to slave the M+ can freely act is the master, and everything works fine.

Would be nice if someone from NI could confirm or investigate the problem/ solution.

• enz0
    enz0 Member Posts: 47 Advisor

my experiences using the latest OS

elektron analog heat mk2: works great

Focusrite scarlett 18i8 3rd gen: Not stable. Need to periodically re-select interface for it to work properly

Roland sp404 mk2: Not stable. Need to periodically re-select interface for it to work properly

• TheLoudest
    TheLoudest Member Posts: 110 Advisor

@darkwaves wrote:

You get all 12 inputs (though you can only use 8 of them because NI thinks that all you need).

why??! 😫😫😫😭

same thing with my MIDAS MR18 everything is OK except I only have 8 inputs (instead of 18..)

I thought it was a compatibility issue with the interface before I understand that it is a limitation from NI

it's weird because on the other hand I see the 18 outputs of the MR18! 🤪

I would prefer the opposite... I don't need all these outputs but I would definitely need more inputs!

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru

I kind of understand there being a limit. Maschine obfuscates software from hardware. Your output isn't going to 1/2 of your interface. It's going to ext1. Plug it into any interface and make sure ext1 is set and you're good. You have some weird setup where audio goes out ext3, through some effects box and comes back in to input 5/6? Sure. Whatever. Switch interfaces and setup routing. Your project stays the same. Great. Not something I'd use, but I imagine people that switch between a home and mobile setup find it useful.

...but I've never understood such a low limit.

It used to really annoy me when I used maschine on desktop; but then I came to the realization: If I'm using all of these inputs, I'm probably going to want to track a bunch of stuff into my computer. If I'm doing that; I don't want to use maschine. Now I just sum my hardware in my interface and send a single stereo input into maschine+; or I don't send it into maschine at all and just monitor through the interface. Kind of old school I guess.

That said; I wouldn't complain if it was bumped up to 16 stereo inputs. lol