Traktor 3.6 Pro Plus CPU issues

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

Well, it is 10 years old CPU.... That time it was sort of top (for notebooks). But CPU power rises roughly 10x in 10 years. Current CPUs are 10 time stronger than yours.... It may be source of your problems. I do not say for sure it is, but it is probable. Also, I run Traktor 2 on similar CPU and it is so, so....

• Fotis Leon
    Fotis Leon Member Posts: 59 Helper

Yeah. More likely is the CPU. But, so many other factors that i talked about in the previous posts.

Nevertheless, we'll hope for the best. Good luck!

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,654 mod

I don't think this is CPU issue only. yes, there are two people communicating about this issue but that doesn't mean the issue shouldn't be looked at and fixed. Anyone with older PC will have this problem with Pro Plus version. Just wait until more people subscribe to it and test it out.

(I would love to see a video from NI where they run Pro Plus flawlessly on an old windows PC (Intel 3rd and 4th gen i5 or i7)

• Kubrak

I cannot test, do not have Plus subscription. One has to understand that i7 (4C/8T) of 3/4th gen is way weaker than i5 of 10/11th generation....

There might be other problem with Traktor, but it may simply be, that iZotope things introduced such CPU load that almost decade old CPUs, even thought being top that time, are too weak to run it.

• Stevan

Ni just says get an i5 and 4GB ram. They don't specify the gen but they most likely will in the future because this isn't working good.

• Kubrak

I know. They may mean current (last two, three gen, say 9-10+) i5, not 10 years old ones. One might demand it runs on 1st gen i5.

You are right NI should specify minimal techspec less vaguely, but they probably do not expect Pros will use obsolete gear...

• Stevan

It was all good before 3.6 even an old 1st gen i5 can run 3.5 smoothly if drivers are not issue.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,330 Expert

I tried it for my self now. Only a quick test, started traktor, played a song, scratched a bit and added 3 effects.

3.5:

3.6 with transparent limiter:

3.6 with Ozone, 3db headroom and EQ and gain up all the way.

Now I have to do a long time test :P

I know this is just windows task manager, not very scientifict. But it is what it is. I don't see much more CPU usage.

• Stevan

I can see you are using 10th gen CPU and we are referring to running Traktor Pro Plus on older machines (3rd and 4th gen Intel).

• Sityi
    Sityi Member Posts: 8 Member

I looked up lord-carlos' CPU with a similar level 4th gen Intel CPU and it's clear that performancewise there is a huge gap between the two: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-10210U-vs-Intel-i5-4210U/3542vs2259

This applies to both Windows and MacOS computers, so I agree with Stevan: the system requirements should be a tad bit more specific to avoid future problems, misunderstandings.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,330 Expert

Ben has not said what gen CPU he is using.

If there would be a significant higher CPU usage on older CPUs, there might also be one on newer ones, at least visible, if not significant. Unless traktor is using some new CPU instruction set that is not available on older gens?

Anyhow, I upgraded anyway so a quick test was not a big deal.

• Kubrak

It seems from @lord-carlos fast measurements, that new version of Traktor takes less CPU than older one. And there are not the spikes like on older Traktor version. So, new Traktor should run better not worse than older version.

So, most probably the problems are specific only to certain CPU models or computer setups.... It does not seem NI has made something wrongly... The load is lower, than in previous version on decent computers. NI might find the source of problems on your systems, but it needs your cooperation. If you do not have time, or do not want to spend your time, then most probably the only solution is to stay on 3.5, or buy a computer with current generation CPU.

• DJM (Sagar)
    DJM (Sagar) Member Posts: 45 Helper

Just my two pence.

It's not enough to have an i5 or an i7. What also matters is what PC you have and how the i5 and i7 chips handle heat and therefore, how the entire laptop system and case handle cooling. That will affect chip optimisation and throttling thresholds.

Traktor is built different to others in that it prioritizes sound quality over performance from day 1. There is a legacy code which NI might have to just ditch and build from scratch if they wanted to support every light use laptop in the world like VDJ can do. They are all Pro DJ softwares but with differences most of us can't see. This is not taking NIs side to have made the decision to stick to legacy code but there are trade offs when switching to other software. VDJ costs nearly £350 for the privilege of incredible support and updates and new shiny code where necessary. Traktor is still £89 and £44! when on sale. For £89, Traktor Pro is a pro DJ software that still sounds the best with almost any audio file and when DJs mix two or more sound files of different qualities, then it's hard to say NI has to support every laptop on planet earth and anything else. Trade off is cost.

We are led to believe that two laptops with identical processors and RAM should perform the same. This is hardly ever the case.

Throttling is the biggest culprit for sounds drop outs and issues. The following things matter:

What sound hardware is being used and at what latency?

What drivers are being used for that hardware? Some hardware performs better with Windows WASAPI exclusive and not ASIO.

What else is connected?

How the laptop handles heat, that is, how does it cool? For example, an Intel chip Mac Book Air sounds amazing but probably will perform badly because of how inefficiently it expels heat. Especially, if the particular Intel chip in your laptop is designed to reduce its power significantly to deal with heat, than you will face CPU spikes.

Lastly, how performance is set in Windows. In W10, no one should be setting performance using the legacy Power Options and putting it to High Performance. Instead leave things on Balanced and use the slider in the taskbar battery popup to put the slider to Maximum Performance. There is enough discussion online as to the differences in the two and in my experience with Traktor S4MK3, CDJs any, Traktor Z2, Traktor A6 and Pioneer DDJ SZ, that gives me the most stable and spike free experience comparable to other software.

Note- I have i7 8th gen. This will make a difference. The oldest i5 I have DJed on is 6th gen.So, I imagine that something as old as 3rd gen will have other heat and throttling related challenges depending on the laptop case, fan and whether the thermal paste is replaced and fan cleaned. Even then, it will depend on the optimisation of that chip in that particular laptop.

And finally, something I learnt the hard way a few years ago. W10 is very very aggressive in the background when it detects any bad files or malware. It's not intuitive in a way to tell you that's the problem. Background tasks pretty much kill Traktor Pro. Malwarebytes always works the best in finding anything that might be in there lurking in the shadows. It is always worth a free scan and remove.

I appreciate this is more generic information but I hope its helpful in understanding the factors.

• Stevan

I am going to open a ticket with NI about this issue and let you all know.

This is clearly Traktor and not my computer issue.

My PC works great with 3.5 so the issue is clearly 3.6

And please, stop comparing how it works on newer CPU's that is not the point of my comments. I just want it to work great on the same machine. No overheating either.