S4 mk3 Midi mode

dr.Tom
dr.Tom Member Posts: 13 Member
edited March 4 in Mapping Traktor

So, yesterday I read about 20 posts about midi mode on S4 mk3 - but still I didnt find correct answer, some says that S4 dont have midi mode (example, for ableton midi controller), some says that have.

In some posts I found that shift+browse switch controller to midi mode, but this dont work on my controller.

And in manuals I didnt find any sign of midi mode.

Is it available, and how to enter midi mode? I am using ableton live, so I want to map some S4 knobs and faders for ableton.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,736 mod
    Answer ✓

The s4mk3 doesn't have a midi mode. It just has a stand-alone mode for the mixer section.

Answers

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,736 mod
    Answer ✓

The s4mk3 doesn't have a midi mode. It just has a stand-alone mode for the mixer section.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,654 mod
    edited August 2022

Who ever said MIDI mode works in S4 MK3 have no idea about it. It never had a MIDI mode and that's a bummer.

If you need a MIDI controller look elsewhere. S4 MK3 is locked down to Traktor (NI loves to lock down things)

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,335 Expert

It works on Mixxx and I think virtualDJ. But yes, it's HID only so devs have to spend extra effort to implement it into their software :(

• dr.Tom
    dr.Tom Member Posts: 13 Member

To shame for NI!

Is there any second way (maybe some software or hack) to fix this?

• Big Brotha
    Big Brotha Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

S4 MK3 no midi mode i done with NI

• oviwan
    oviwan Member Posts: 108 Helper

I believe I have a solution. It's just a proof of concept but it works for me in a Spotify mod for S4MK3. Still working on packaging it in a usable product...

• ju ju
    ju ju Member Posts: 2 Member

@oviwan any news here? i’m really looking forward to use my S4MK3 with djay pro. i believe its a great app.. really didnt want to change, but actually ithink there is so much more to discover in other apps for example the insane neural mix or even to have big cover view. please NI just keep updating!

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,335 Expert

I wonder if one could get inspired by the mixxx implementation and make a software HID to midi translator.

• oviwan

I have a software component that allows me to send MIDI messages from my S4MK3.

@ju ju I just need to find the time to package it as a standalone product and the money to buy a Win and an Mx Mac if I am to deliver it to Mac & Win platforms as I only have an Intel-based Mac...

• ju ju
    ju ju Member Posts: 2 Member

@oviwan this would be super cool. are you developing an app? s4mk3 implementation especially the jogwheels it would be a dream and the perfect combination for me...

• oviwan
  • ClassickHitz
    ClassickHitz Member Posts: 3 Member

I'm in the same boat. Shocked about this development as I upgraded from the S4 MK2 to the MK3 a couple of years ago but NI seems to be lagging behind tremendously when it comes to Traktor Pro upgrades.