Question about the use of modifiers..

DJDQmusic
DJDQmusic Member Posts: 29 Member
edited February 27 in Mapping Traktor

Attached is the keyboard shortcut formula I created that has worked flawlessly for me. I have several commands attached to a single key; I use the letter K to load deck A, and the L key to load deck B. The highlighted section in the pic shows the other commands that are attached as well. My question is; can and would there be a use for a modifier in this formula? I want and need to understand what a modifier could and would do if used.

Best Answers

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,735 mod
    Answer ✓

No need for a modifier that i can see. I use modifiers for switching between several assignment layers and sometimes for control of some parameters. What you are doing looks straight forward. On it's own, a modifier has no function assigned to it's value. But it can be attached to software toggles which themselves cannot be checked by the 'modifier condition' of the editor.

For example: If you use the Loop Recorder, you cannot assign a function to a button with the condition that the Loop Recorder is or isn't recording. What you can do is to assign a modifier toggle to a button that sets the value of the modifier to 1 if it is zero or to zero if it is 1 and then also assign the Loop Recorder to the same button, switching it to ON if the modifier is zero, switching it OFF if it is 1. Then you can add functions for traktor that, for example, only work or make sense if the Loop Recorder is running, meaning in this case if the value of the modifier is equal to 1.

Most internal variables don't have an analog in the modifier condition dropdown menu and those of discrete values can be attached to modifiers this way. NOTE: the modifiers are local variables whereas most Traktor internal variables are global. That means modifier values don't transfer to other mappings. If you use a complex multimapping on a single device you will need to keep that in mind.

Check out the OneButton mappings at DJTechTools. A lot of them use modifiers to transition to another layer, oftentimes a lot of layers, one after the other, as long as a single button is held down. You can bind any one of them to a single button and check out what they are doing.

You can monitor the exact state of each of the 8 modifiers at the top of the controller editor (they are all show to be zero at the moment on your posted picture). 🦋

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 582 Pro
    Answer ✓

Here is my keyboard mapping.

Of course it is my common use stuff.

You can look through it and see how I used modifiers.

Be sure to first back up your mapping.

Answers

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,735 mod
    Answer ✓

No need for a modifier that i can see. I use modifiers for switching between several assignment layers and sometimes for control of some parameters. What you are doing looks straight forward. On it's own, a modifier has no function assigned to it's value. But it can be attached to software toggles which themselves cannot be checked by the 'modifier condition' of the editor.

For example: If you use the Loop Recorder, you cannot assign a function to a button with the condition that the Loop Recorder is or isn't recording. What you can do is to assign a modifier toggle to a button that sets the value of the modifier to 1 if it is zero or to zero if it is 1 and then also assign the Loop Recorder to the same button, switching it to ON if the modifier is zero, switching it OFF if it is 1. Then you can add functions for traktor that, for example, only work or make sense if the Loop Recorder is running, meaning in this case if the value of the modifier is equal to 1.

Most internal variables don't have an analog in the modifier condition dropdown menu and those of discrete values can be attached to modifiers this way. NOTE: the modifiers are local variables whereas most Traktor internal variables are global. That means modifier values don't transfer to other mappings. If you use a complex multimapping on a single device you will need to keep that in mind.

Check out the OneButton mappings at DJTechTools. A lot of them use modifiers to transition to another layer, oftentimes a lot of layers, one after the other, as long as a single button is held down. You can bind any one of them to a single button and check out what they are doing.

You can monitor the exact state of each of the 8 modifiers at the top of the controller editor (they are all show to be zero at the moment on your posted picture). 🦋

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 582 Pro
    Answer ✓

Here is my keyboard mapping.

Of course it is my common use stuff.

You can look through it and see how I used modifiers.

Be sure to first back up your mapping.