How can i use my laptop keyboard as a midi controller on Maschine 2?

Luma
Luma Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited August 2022 in Maschine

Hi everyone! I'm currently traveling and i couldn't bring my maschine mikro with me, and i need to make some modifications on some projects, but it's taking me way too much time with the mouse only... I was thinking about using my laptop keyboard for saving time, and i tried with a virtual midi keyboard and a driver that allows me to see the vitrual keyboard in the inputs of Mashine. Even though the virtual keyboard is selectionned, it's not detected by Maschine and i really don't know how to do...

If someone have an idea for helping me, or know how to use the computer keyboard as a midi controller, i will be very thankful 🙏

Comments

• forbiddenera
    forbiddenera Member Posts: 5 Member

A virtual MIDI keyboard should work just fine.

You may need to setup a loopback driver for it to work though, open the "Audio & Midi Setup" app:

• Luma
    Luma Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Thank you for your answer, but i'm on Windows. As i said, I'm using a virtual MIDI keyboard, it's detected in the Maschine's input options, but i can't use it, i can't play notes with it...

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hi @Luma I don't think Maschine supports recording from the virtual keyboard. Maybe @Jeremy_NI has some suggestions? :)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited August 2022

The virtual Port your app uses has to be both enabled in the Preferences>MIDI>Input and in the Sound/Group>Input>MIDI, depending on what you're trying to control you might have to adjust additional input settings there as well. Depends if you're trying to play a Sound/Pad or a Group/Kit, for the latter you can try "DrumKit" mode as it's the simpler way and make sure you're playing the notes in the correct octave that Maschine expects.

• dee
    dee Member Posts: 1 Member

how to make groups using computer keyboard in maschine

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 22

There is no such feature in Maschine. You can however download a virtual MIDI Keyboard application, there's tons of free ones out there just google. Are you on Mac or Windows?

These apps usually create their own virtual MIDI Port that you have to enable in the Maschine Preferences>MIDI (or your DAW), then just set your Group MIDI Input to "Drumkit"

This was all already explained above, what step are you stuck in?