Komplete Kontrol M32 compatible with MIO4 MIDI Router over USB host?

HenrikErlandsson
HenrikErlandsson Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited January 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Thinking of buying the M32. I'd like it to control my other synthesizers, as well as sending keys input and transport control button presses to my PC. The synths are plugged into my MIDI router which is connected to the PC. My current MIDI keyboard is Yamaha Reface CS which is plugged into the USB host of the MIDI router, and this sends keys input to several DAWs fine, including Kontakt. I've also tested the same way with another USB MIDI keyboard, Nektar Impact LX49, and it works well for all knobs and buttons.

I guess what I'm asking is if all knobs and buttons send MIDI CC or if there are some that require running software to function, and if so which ones.

I.e. can I use the M32 connected to a MIDI USB Host and have full functionality? Part of why I like it is the button layout and the endless encoders. 🙂

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

the only controls that send CC information in midi mode are the encoders… buttons have specific functions tied to Komplete Control and do not send Midi CC. Transport controls are MCU compatible. As long as the usb connection is powered it should work, but actually plugging it in will confirm,

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,578 Expert
    Answer ✓

The keyboards have 2 levels of communication, MIDI and Control. If you don't connect direct to the PC you wont get any control functionality, it will just work as standard MIDI over USB probably, so none of hte jog wheel, function or transport buttons will work. You will need a direct USB to the PC or a USB hub.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

the only controls that send CC information in midi mode are the encoders… buttons have specific functions tied to Komplete Control and do not send Midi CC. Transport controls are MCU compatible. As long as the usb connection is powered it should work, but actually plugging it in will confirm,

• HenrikErlandsson
    HenrikErlandsson Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    edited January 2022

Thank you. The Scale row buttons I won't use. The selector jog wheel could be very useful. I'm assuming then that to use that wheel (and get the instrument name/encoder parameter name on the display?), you must plug it directly into the PC's USB?

Edit: Asking myself this question convinced me I should separate out the DAW controls. So I got a Behringer X-Touch Mini for the PC things, and this will almost guarantee all-DAW compatibility while keeping the MIDI and MIDI CC things in the keyboard.

In the end, I decided to go almost twice the price to get the Arturia Keystep 37 (Black Edition), because I have 3 workstations synths that I can now control with aftertouch and a few more keys. The M32 put up a great fight tho and the 8 endless encoders, the micro display, and the design wins over all the about 10 keyboards I looked at. :)

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,578 Expert
    Answer ✓

The keyboards have 2 levels of communication, MIDI and Control. If you don't connect direct to the PC you wont get any control functionality, it will just work as standard MIDI over USB probably, so none of hte jog wheel, function or transport buttons will work. You will need a direct USB to the PC or a USB hub.