Komplete Kontrol full screen and resizable?

Options

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 946 Guru
    Options

Funny how I am on a 42inch Samsung TV - running at 1920x1080 and everything is just fine.

Everyone in here that is complaining about "old eyes" and "tiny" this and "can't see" that - is almost without question running their displays in a resolution that is NOT standard HD.

These products are designed for (and work just fine) in standard HD (1920x1080). That you purchased some 4K monitor on sale at Costco and in order to justify that purchase - choose to run it in super high res (Windows or Mac) - that does not conform to most software out there - does not automatically translate into every vendor on the planet suddenly rewriting their entire lineup to suit your choice of resolution.

NI is just one of many vendors who have not (and maybe will not) address resizing/rescaling so complaining endlessly about it won't change anything.

Your monitor is more than capable of running in standard HD - that's as good as it's going to get for now.

VP

• bkt
    bkt Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Blimey.

New here to NI (Starter), but this is a bit of a put-off as I'm seriously considering purchasing 14; no doubt it is all about the sound(s) and seemingly very good value at the moment but not everyone has space for large or multiple monitors, screen resolutions have moved on from HD and readability and device portability for some is key.

UX is increasingly important so I would hope NI do get on top of this or they risk being left behind by their competitors...

• Kaysodog
    Kaysodog Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

this was started in June 2022... still waiting.. just kidding I'm buying a bunch of other stuff just not NI. Maybe a detachable search list window because as it is it's more than useless. It's raising my blood pressure.

• Shutara
    Shutara Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

@Nico_NI any update on reworking plugin's UI? It's really unfair for nested VST to dictate how much presets I'm allowed to see at once by resizing itself to fit the displayed plugin, without my control to enlarge it further (as with India below). Would love an ability to have everything displayed and be able to see presets with more comfort. I mean, we all would love that :)

Please, this needs addressing and some ETA, especially since this thread started last year, You spoke of possibility of having this within 2022, and here we are mid '23, with nothing on this front being changed.

I hope KK will finally get some more love on the front-end this year.

Best regards :)

• Noise_Chanellor
    Noise_Chanellor Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Same, bought by s49 MK2 a few weeks ago and the GUI doesn't resize, can only see 3 sounds at a time on my huge monitor. Im reverting back to my other Vsts.

Please please please work on resizing, its more or less unusable!

Maybe you could decrease the instrument category menus, or display the list of sounds on the right side panel !

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,747 mod
    Options

You can actually fold up the category menus completely to create a bit more room for search results, but I agree - the fundamental problem is the search panel is tied into the screen size as a whole, so if you had a huge or resizable plugin you get a much bigger search results panel, but the default empty view is too small. I quite like the main panel wrapping to the plugin size but that behaviour should be an option as it is in Reaktor, with the other option to be free resizing, and it should also be possible to undock the search panel so it isn't dependent on the overall screen size of the plugin.

There is an app that can help with the default size but only at the moment for Mac

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/11847/nipatcher-tool-to-modify-komplete-kontrol-macos

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru
    Options

KK has always been an example of terrible user experience due primarily to the design of its panel layout + behavior.

I suspect NI's plan to improve KK's layout problem will borrow heavily from Kontakt 7's new browser layout as the "front end".

What I hope for is that when you click on a preset in this Kontakt 7 style browser "front end", it opens a window without the full instrument panel, but instead a standard size horizontal image of the instrument, along with multiple horizontal panels for the stuff we need in KK... (macros, plugins, etc)

Only when clicking again on the standard size horizontal instrument panel, would you see the old, variable size full instrument panel.

• Matthew_Morse
    Matthew_Morse Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

This is not only a use-ability issue it’s an accessibility issue - an important matter!

NI - please adopt an inclusive approach to your product development by making your software accessible to all. It is common practice in modern software development and above all the right thing to do.

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 252 Pro
    Options

Don't expect a reply from any NI employee here, they have a habit of ignoring threads like this one.

• Warren Postma
    Warren Postma Member Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Komplete Kontrol resizeable UI when? It’s half way through 2023.

• MusicTobi
    MusicTobi Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I don't understand what is so difficult to enable such a basic thing. Why is it limited at all? I don't see a reason for it. For me the program is unuseable that way!

• holonology
    holonology Member Posts: 78 Helper
    Options

Naturally, there is a lot of support for this, however I have thoughts that both support and go against NI here.

First, NI is far from the only offender in this space. Soundtoys has a clunky manual install and a non resizeable GUI. Effectrix, one of the OG effects tools is comically small (possibly the smallest GUI I've ever seen) and that makes it almost completely unusable. Even newer companies like Baby Audio don't all resize. All of these software companies get very good press for what they do.

However, Soundtoys gets away with the non-resizeable GUI because it's just about big enough on a large monitor in 2023 and the underlying design itself is pretty good. I've used soft synths from other manufacturers, uhe, Arturia etc, and they have everything on lock from a UI perspective. The problem for NI is that the underlying interface of KK is not great.

The best GUI they've made (imho of course) is probably Massive X which shares some visual ground with something like the Arturia instrument browser. the way that the preset menu opens up gives you way more space to see what you're doing in terms of choosing presets. This gives you way more room than the 3 patches you see bottom left when scrolling currently. Massive X also has the macros at the top for mapping. All the ingredients are there to make this one happen. Add GUI scaling (and this can be exactly the same as Kontakt btw 100%, 125%, 150% etc) and we're all good.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru
    Options

My suggestion to more quickly improve the user experience of KK would be for NI to create a "standardized interim panel" for each NKS enabled instrument.

KK would use the same browser design as Kontakt 7.

When you clicked on a preset in this new KK browser, instead of opening the "legacy opening panel", this new "standardized interim panel" would open instead. It would be based on the first "encoder panel" (layer/macros) for the instrument and be rather horizontal in design. All elements in this panel would be corner-drag scalable included the text. When you wanted deeper feature of an instrument, clicking on this interim panel would bring up the legacy panel.

This new horizontal "interim" panel would also allow more window area for additional items you might want to have simultaneously visible.. the plugin chain, the scale/arp panel, additional macro panels, an always available on-screen piano keyboard...

Make this all of these simultaneously-desired horizontal panel fully scalable as a group. The is NO legacy raster art in any of this so it should be a much easier task to do.

Make it pretty with some minimal new vector art that identifies the instrument associated with this new interim panel... or just use the thumbnail as in the Kontakt 7 browser

This could be a huge short cut to a much better user experience.

The better user experience is much more inviting to actually find, PLAY, and lightly edit/modulate the preset via the macros.

• Tomas E
    Tomas E Member Posts: 82 Member
    Options

People get old, so do the developers. When they can't see what they are doing we might get this.