What happened to Edit MIDI Change? Can it Be Re-Stored?

Skipper McGoogen
Skipper McGoogen Member Posts: 6 Member
edited October 13 in Maschine

I have long used Ableton to trigger scenes or sections in Machine projects. Now its suddenly disappeared and no longer available. Its like suddenly I've been banned from doing this.

Up until today my workflow was to go to the Edit drop down menu towards the upper left of the Machine Window and select MIDI Change which brings up a box called MIDI Change and there are three sections of that for editing, one labeled Scene, the next labeled Section, and finally Lock. It used to be that by selecting scene, you could choose MIDI Note or Program Change as the method by which you could tell Machine to play a scene/section using an Ableton Live Set. Now Program Change doesn't appear in the MIDI Change dropdown menus as an option, only midi note and that doesn't work using c-2 (c minus 2) as the note for section 1 or c#-2 for section 2. K, now I see, I had to switch off the record button on one of the Ableton tracks. Why? That is so bug like and it all worked so well before.

Whats bizzarre to me, that returning to older projects where I used Program change to trigger Maschine song sections, that Program Change still appears as an option in the drop down menu. But as of tonight, in new projects, program change has been discontinued apparently.

Is there any way to bring program change back? How the hell did it disappear? Was it in an update. Does Maschine update itself when you connect to the internet? Its really a mindfork. I am on the verge of tears, why is it every where we go on computers we just get messed with? I can't even type this more than ten words before the cursor jumps to a random spot in the text.

Best Answer

• Skipper McGoogen
    Answer ✓

Thanks D-One, thats what it is using VST-3 doesn't give you the switch song sections by program change.

I had to reset Ableton, maybe Ableton switched that out for me, switching VST2 to VST 3 without asking in my template set I've used for years. I didnt even know or particularly know why I should care that there was a VST3 Maschine, so probably Ableton who has been causing me a lot of headaches in the last year, plug-ins not working etc.

Answers

• Skipper McGoogen

Here are screen shots of the MIDI Change box now and as it appeared for many years and still apperas in older projects. Yes, I know I could just delete everything from an old project and save it as a template so that I could continue using program change. Id rather not do awkward work arounds though.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,252 mod

It was removed in/since Maschine v2.15 I think, as I understand it's related to some sort of issue/limitation of VST3 technology… Maybe your older projects are loading with the VST2 version?

• Skipper McGoogen
    Answer ✓

Thanks D-One, thats what it is using VST-3 doesn't give you the switch song sections by program change.

I had to reset Ableton, maybe Ableton switched that out for me, switching VST2 to VST 3 without asking in my template set I've used for years. I didnt even know or particularly know why I should care that there was a VST3 Maschine, so probably Ableton who has been causing me a lot of headaches in the last year, plug-ins not working etc.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 295 Member

Try do as much as you can in Maschine only, I was so much surprised that I do everything in Maschine only but now I do everything in Maschine Standalone Mode.

Program Change is working but I need external MIDI device and because it's possible to control with Notes I use them for Section, Scenes and Lock States. Program Change is Amazing for Kontakt, Reaktor for changing sounds instantly for Psy Trance modulation style.

It's possible to do it with MK3 Maschine only because routing is easy

Under Preference in the MIDI options you can choose what you want to use Notes or Program Change... actually you have Program Change in Automation Lane, below MIDI -piano roll.

If you explore everything slowly and patiently you will become much faster knowing all the " Secrets". I hope that you will give a chance to Maschine only for a week, Video Games are more challenging than MK3 with Maschine only. I do everything in Maschine Standalone these days including Mastering Stage, it's not that I think it's important to learn everything but everything is possible even more using Lock States for multi Parameters morphing on Linear Time Line in Patterns Song... you can chain several Group FX and controlling them with keyboard mode or touch strip - Note mode.

Why not giving a try using just Maschine, it can be only benefitial.