Native Access offering me an incompatible factory library update

PK The DJ
PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,624 Expert
edited September 23 in Native Access

I've not upgraded to Komplete 15, but when I open Native Access I'm shown an update to the Kontakt Factory Library 2 (1.4.0).

Luckily I checked the release notes, which stated that it requires Kontakt 8.

Why then is it being shown? I don't have Kontakt 8.

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,065 Expert

I would also like to know why this is being offered.

No intent on using Kontakt 8 (yet)

VP

• Team Green
    Team Green Member Posts: 17 Member

This is good to know as I'm not yet ready to make the switch to Kontakt 8. I can't afford to give up RAM real-estate if it's incompatible with Kontakt 7

• Russellmus
    Russellmus Member Posts: 58 Helper

This update does still work with 7, it just adds a bunch of unusable multi presets, which is pretty dumb.

• TomSynsongs
    TomSynsongs Member Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 24

Same here - this is unacceptable. If I had not checked the Release Notes but simply clicked "Update", then things would definitely be problematic again.

And there is not even a way to "remove" this reminder until K8 is installed.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,620 mod
    edited September 24

It looks like the release notes are badly written and not clear enough. The Factory Library 2 does still work with K7, just not the new Multis which were made to showcase the K8 combined mode and tools. I guess NI didn't want to make a whole new Factory Library 3 but did want to add some new patches to showcase the new features. That does make sense, but the release notes have made things look worse than they are, and I guess it wouldn't hurt to have simply added an add-on library as a separate download just for K8 and thus given K7 users the option to ignore that (although I guess the workaround is just to delete the multis folder or use K8 Player)

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,624 Expert
    edited September 25

I did install the 8 Player, so maybe I'll update and investigate.

I have a question though. My NA library currently has:

• Kontakt Factory Library 1.3.0 24.97 GB
    • Kontakt Factory Library 2 1.3.0 40.13 GB
    • Kontakt Factory Selection 1.4.2 637 MB

Can I just install the largest and have a complete library (i.e. does the largest contain everything from the smaller ones)?

• nbmx
    nbmx Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

"Kontakt Factory Library 2" includes "Kontakt Factory Selection" but with other folder organization.

it is best to use a program to compare folder contents and search for duplicates - then it is best to determine what is repeated and what is not

Kontakt Factory Library - I don't have this library to compare

• Daniel jay
    Daniel jay Member Posts: 28 Member

I had this problem with other kontakt libraries. It would be Nice If native access recognise your os to determine If the update is compatible with your system before offer you an update.

• benmuetsch
    benmuetsch Member Posts: 21 Member

One must exercise great caution when updating through Native Access. A while ago, I updated all my Kontakt 7 libraries, only to find that Kontakt 7.6 became the minimum requirement. Unfortunately, I was still running macOS Catalina at the time, which only supported up to version 7.2x. Needless to say, this has been and still is an extremely frustrating situation.

What’s equally unacceptable is that libraries originally released for Kontakt 6 lose backward compatibility after updates. This means many older projects no longer open correctly. I had to manually downgrade 17 or 18 libraries and have decided not to update them any further.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,065 Expert

Release Notes is the mantra in Native Access.

Never click Update on anything in there without a close inspection.

VP