CPU usage change

Jeff Dee
Jeff Dee Member Posts: 2 Member

Hello,

All of a sudden I am experiencing major CPU spikes. This has never happened before so I'm trying to figure out what may have changed. I have a MacBookPro (intel) running Sonoma 14.6.1, 32 GB RAM and the latest version of Maschine. I used to be able to not worry about this issue at all (it was the reason I purchased this computer in the first place) but for the last month or so, it's affecting my playback that renders it almost useless. I know the tricks of generally reducing CPU usage but this seems different. I run Clean My Mac on occasion as well. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this change.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Answers

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 197 Pro

did you update a driver or your OS recently? New or updated plugins?

• nxtseq
    nxtseq Member Posts: 22 Member

Hi. I have exact the same issue. I used an older version of Maschine 2 till recently when I updated to the newest one (2.19.4) about two-three weeks ago. I suddenly started getting random major CPU spikes as well, which can even be seen on the Maschine hardware (the led lights start to lag as well!).

It is important to notice that these cpu spikes shows up even when no plugins are being used in a project. I've had a simple drum program going (with only samples i've recorded), no plugs / efx and still gotten the cpu spike at random times.

During the lag spikes the CPU goes as high as 180% in the Activity Monitor. I've also gotten the mac error "Your computer has run out of memory" as well where it asks me to close programs. I have never gotten that error before on my mac.

If I run a beat that has samples on groups A-G (but very simple samples) and some few VST3 effects, Maschine 2 sits at 143% CPU usage. Is this normal?

I am still on Sonoma 14.3.1. MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16GB RAM. Maschine+ hardware, but running in controller mode.

I will try to make a video next time a CPU spike happens and document cpu usage better.

Nic

• Jeff Dee
    Jeff Dee Member Posts: 2 Member

This is what happens to me as well. Other than updating Maschine, I haven't changed anything else, but it seems to be getting worse.