Native Access file management question: Do I need to download another 1TB files with a new version?

travtek
travtek Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hello All,
Native Access is pretty smart regarding updates of my existing libraries and apps, but what about upgrades, especially going from Komplete 14CE but upgrading to version 15's same package? (That's the 150K+ number of sounds question!)

My current Native Access (hereafter referred to as NA) version is 3.13.0 (05bb23/ 1.20.0.0.
I have kept file management as simple as possible, using the default settings for directory and folder paths for downloading program files and libraries inside of NA.
NA has done a great job letting me update certain content apps and libraries.

After I spent a few days downloading all the files ( 1 TB), my Internet Service Provider sent me a stern written warning about data download limits.
I must follow it and not exceed them again for an entire year.

I want to maintain my current residential Internet Service rate, but I fear I will be forced to upgrade to a commercial account with a much higher monthly rate if I download beyond my limits again in the next 12 months. Worse, they throttled the download speed down to dial-up modem speeds from the late 1990s. (Just shoot me now! LOL)I have only 463 GB raining on a 4 TB SDRAM

GOAL: Please verify how to upgrade to the newly upgraded package version WITHOUT removing my current version's library.Will NA check my current files and upgrade them with additional files? Do the files with identical names have a new version based on the installation program file?
(Example: old VST2 filenames and downloading the libraries that have VST3 identical filenames

Or…

Will it download the entire 1 TB anyway and replace the files based on a new installation file?
(Example: Does Kontakt 7 get downloaded and replaced with the new application, Kontakt 8?)

If NA only updates the application and other needed library files to complete the upgrade, I would consider NA a win while being friendly, as any UX repeat customer would expect. (My original Kontakt version was 3, and they shipped me a few CD-ROMs containing about 4000 sounds.)

| | File Management | Kontakt 7 to Kontakt 8 | Komplete CE 14 to Komplete CE 15 | One Terabyte Downloads | Windows 11 Pro

Best Answer

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 843 Guru
    Answer ✓

First, a bundle is simply a marketing term and has nothing at all to do with upgrading individual libraries. Those are handled on a case by case basis through NA. If NA sees you have the same version already installed it won't re-install it unless you force it to. Some version updates are minor and only download the pieces that are needed. Others may be more comprehensive and will download and replace the older library. There's really no way to tell without examining what's specifically in the new bundle and what the version number are compared to what you have installed.

Answers

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 843 Guru
    Answer ✓

First, a bundle is simply a marketing term and has nothing at all to do with upgrading individual libraries. Those are handled on a case by case basis through NA. If NA sees you have the same version already installed it won't re-install it unless you force it to. Some version updates are minor and only download the pieces that are needed. Others may be more comprehensive and will download and replace the older library. There's really no way to tell without examining what's specifically in the new bundle and what the version number are compared to what you have installed.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,523 mod

As @DunedinDragon says, you'll just download any new/updated stuff rather than download everything again. Kontakt 8 will be a new download as it's completely new product. it doesn't replace K7. You'll need to download whichever of the new libraries/expansions you need but you could always do a few of those a month to keep under your download cap.

Could you get a mobile SIM with unlimited data and do the download using that? Depending on mobile speed of course!

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,916 mod
    edited September 6

What DunedinDragon & mykejb wrote.

I myself luckily have been free from all internet throttling for years but also pays the price for it (problem in my area for me mostly is that prices for lower internet bandwidth tiers are so high that you might as well just get the highest tier which is not exactly cheap other than OK considering the speed).

Anyway , sometimes when the ISP is maintaining or upgrading the network then internet access has been down as well as when between providers so what I have done then is to use my "smart phone's" internet access sharing feature through a USB cable and used the phone's data subscription as internet access. So you could check that as well as an option to distribute data download load if you have enough unused phone data download bandwidth. Of course how well that works also depends on how far the cellular phone network has been upgraded in your area as well as on the phone and the specific service provider (I got access to both a 5G phone and a cellular 5G network).

• travtek
    travtek Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

@DunedinDragon, mykejb, and @PoorFellow :

Thanks a ton for all of your sage advice and tips.

You've help me out greatly and others if they have similar experiences during an upgrade.

NOW I can get more excited than anxious when the pre-order becomes fulfilled on 23SEP2024!

What a great community we have here!

Very Respectfully,

Travtek