Traktor Pro 4 Flexible Beatgrid Bug?

So I own Traktor Kontrol S3 & recently purchased X1 and upgraded to traktor 4. When i try to set beatgrid on a variable tempo track it just messed up my beatgrid. So i started by deleting the whole track beatgrid. the track starts at 130 bpm so i set first zone with 130 & after that track went down to 94 and then again went back to 130. 2nd & 3rd marker was working good but the first just went haywire it just went to 129.627 & i wont be able to set it to 130 whatever i tried it didnt work. saw few comment on youtube on NI flexible beatgrid video with the same bug. please give us the fix.

Comments

• saradis
    saradis Member Posts: 50 Advisor

It's not a bug, sections between grid markers need to have an integer number of beats, otherwise you wouldn't be able to beatjump and other stuff without messing things up. So it only lets you enter values that makes that tempo region contain a certain amount of beats.

Trouble is, tracks that transition smoothly between tempos need more markers to work properly. Just put another marker on the end of the section that is purely 130 bpm, so you'll just have a small part with a slightly off tempo. And if it gives you tempos like 129.987 in the 130bpm part, you just need to nudge one of the two markers containing that tempo region to be spot on the transients.

Some of us have suggested snapping to transients for multiple grid markers, I'm pretty sure the guys will find a way to implement something like that as well, so you don't need to grid so precisely with maximum zoom.

Think that if you don't have integer number of beats between markers you clearly wouldn't be able to beatjump or loop without going off phase, and the fx would really suck. It's a pain for already "fixed" tracks in TP3, but once you correct those you'll have them forever.

• Hereaftermusik
    Hereaftermusik Member Posts: 7 Member

I tried what you said and now its just worst. The track which i tried on is in 16 bars pattern. So i don,t know whats wrong with it, i tried multiple grid markers but its not working. So i think its a bug and they should fix it.

• Hereaftermusik

Thanx man, i get it but i am not trying to warp a track or anything like that with old tune. there is just transition in track from 130 to 94 the again at 130. Tried the same thing in other softwares like rekordbox & virtual Dj and they did the job but with traktor its just like different just like the video as soon as he changes the bpm in next zone the previous one just went haywire.

• Nico_Tf
    Nico_Tf Member Posts: 36 Helper

Can you upload the track so we get a go at it?

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 2,526 mod

There are two tracks in the video, the second being an old tune.

The first, however, is exactly what your track is like. It has two steady bpm jumps. Watch it.

• saradis
    edited August 17

@Hereaftermusik yes, please upload the track because I'm pretty sure there is no bug. You are essentially wrapping all flexgrid tracks by the way

• Hereaftermusik

I will upload the track tonight.

Yes bro I saw that and just like video as soon he sets the grid on 2nd que, the previous one just went from 137 to 136.98 or something & that's managable but in my case it went from 130 to 129.67 or somethin. I will upload the track & thank you much for all the help. I thought the grid setting just work like the other software I use rekordbox whenever I have to play small set & grid system in the software is top notch & if I want to grid set the old track i mostly use ableton to warp it & then render it.

• saradis
    edited August 17

I was all about Ableton warping as well, but to be honest I prefer playing original tracks with their groove intact with the new system. And I don't mind correcting some tracks that I had already gridded with the old system, because even in transitions I now have the ability to mix out of / mix in any part of them in seconds without worries. I'm sure you'll find that adding one more marker before the tempo starts to drop will fix your annoyance. And if you want to do it ocd style, nudging one of the two markers a tiny little bit will give you precise control for the tempo value between them. But we're waiting for the track 😇

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 2,526 mod

I'm sure you'll find that adding one more marker before the tempo starts to drop will fix your annoyance.

That. 🦋

• DJ Bobby Tables
    DJ Bobby Tables Member Posts: 21 Member

I had a go at beatgridding Brown Rang that was attached above. The tempo is not steady at all.

It starts at about 130 but fluctuates by nearly 2 bpm.

There is a section that is approximately 94 bpm but not steady.

This is followed by a transition from 94 to 134 bpm.

Lastly it finishes with a section around 130 bpm.

You can see from all the grid markers I put in that it is not a straight forward 130-94-130 bpm with three distinct tempo zones, hence the trouble you would have had trying to beat grid it making assumptions about steady tempo.

Once I beatgridded it, I synced with a drum loop to try it out and it wasn't bad but could be tighter in places.

• Hereaftermusik

Thanx may be i am expecting too much from native instruments as i mentioned previously i used rekordbox & virtual dj with the same track by setting three tempo zone 130 then 94 & then again 130, they were smooth no mismatch grid even i mixed track in traktor without grid & it mix well just toh nudge left & right so with that i can say that it is 130 i dont want drifting tempo like dynamic in rekordbox just want straight forward zone just like vdj & rekordbox & as of now its not possible in traktor so will stick with old method & mix by ear. Thank you so much for all the explanation & waiting for simple grid update from traktor team.

• saradis
    edited August 18

Since the track was already unsteady in tempo, you only need to remove the second marker since the digits annoy you so much and it will be the same as TP3, where you forgot to mention that you mixed the track by ear. There is not going to be a "simple grid" update because it will be a downgrade. One grid marker = TP3 grid structure, you just can't correct the phase with extra markers, simple as that.

Or maybe stick with recordbox or vdj since they offer things that traktor never had. On the fly bpm detection is cool when everything is 4/4 but try and mix a track with complicated drum arrangements and transitions and it's going to be chaos. While in traktor, with a little prep you never have to worry about that stuff, or "wait for the algorithm to detect the change"

• Hereaftermusik

Thanx Man for clear answer. I use rekordbox whenevr i need to play with the pen drive for my other shows i stick to traktor & wait for the algorithm to change. Right now it feels like warping thing so will avoid using flexible grid & just dj the old like TP3.