Kontrol S MK3 MIDI Templates: (un)Official Peer-To-Peer Sharing and Download Thread

Matthew_NI
Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,284 mod
edited August 14 in Komplete Kontrol

As of August 1st 2024, Kontrol S MK3 now supports the creation, editing, saving, browsing and loading of MIDI Templates directly on the device itself.

When connected to a computer, Kontrol S MK3 allows you to export/import those MIDI Templates to/from a computer.

All users are free to create, export and distribute these templates for the benefit of other users, who may wish to import them for their own use.

This thread is intended as a place users may upload templates of their own creation, and/or other users may search and download specific templates of interest to them (e.g. for a specific piece of hardware or software).

If it gets enough traction, we will transition it to an area such as the NKS user library.

README

If you're uploading any MIDI Templates for download and use by others, please take the following steps:

• A Kontrol S MK3 MIDI Template must be compressed to .zip format prior to upload, as the .kmt extension is unsupported by this forum.
  • A brief description of each template you upload should be included in your forum post, to help other users search and discover.
  • After uploading a Template, please PM me (@Matthew_NI) with a link, and I'll update the directory to make things as clear and accessible as possible. This isn't scalable, but it's a way to start, and gauge interest before designing a more scalable solution.

If you're downloading any MIDI Templates for import and use on your Kontrol S MK3, please be advised of the following:

• These MIDI Templates are peer-to-peer, meaning that Native Instruments does not police, and is not to be held responsible for the quality or appropriateness of the content. In the unlikely event a MIDI Template contains any offensive language, please let us know.
  • There may be multiple MIDI Templates for the same content, created by various users. If so, it is up to you to try each and decide which works for you.

What is a MIDI Template?

• A file that defines what sort of MIDI data the buttons, knobs, pedals, touch-strip, and wheels on your Kontrol S MK3 can send, and how it should be sent.
  • This allows the user to have many custom MIDI devices mapped to their Kontrol S MK3 keyboard, such as:
    • External hardware synths
    • Non NKS (non Kontakt, non Komplete Kontrol) plug-ins
    • NKS plug-ins you'd rather use with a custom MIDI configuration
    • Digital Audio Workstations, that aren't already integrated with DAW Control, or ones that are but for which you'd rather use with a custom MIDI configuration.
  • It also allows you to define default behaviours for what the buttons and knobs do when not in NKS mode, and what the pedals, touchstrip and wheels do always.
  • To learn more about how to create and edit your own MIDI Templates, click here.

How do I export/import a MIDI Template from my Kontrol S MK3?

• Ensure the MIDI Templates on your computer are in .kmt format (if they are still in .zip format, unzip them).
  • Navigate to the MIDI Template browser by pressing SHIFT + BROWSER.
  • When Kontrol S MK3 is connected to a computer, buttons 6/7 above the screen are activated, and labelled Import/Export (see image below).
  • To Import:
    • Press Import
    • A window will automatically pop up on your computer
    • You may add, or drag/drop multiple MIDI Templates to this window
    • Once your selection is complete, you are able to send them to your keyboard, where they will appear in the list
  • To Export:
    • Press Export
    • Select the templates you wish to export from your keyboard
    • Continue, and a window will automatically pop up on your computer
    • In this window, you can create or define the folder location to which the templates will be exported.

DIRECTORY

As MIDI Templates are added, they will be added to the following list for ease of discovery:

And a special bonus template for all Editors:

• Kontrol S MK3 Template Customization (by Cris Vogt)
    • Template Link
    • Covers both Special Characters, and a Guide to Text Editing

Tagged:

Comments

• crisNI
    crisNI Member Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 31

Name: 303

Description: Designed to control the Behringer TD-3-MO. This is a “Modded Out” Analog Bass Line Synthesizer with VCO, MIDI-Controllable VCF and Sub-Harmonics Oscillator, albeit with limited MIDI assignability.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,620 mod
    edited August 1

Here is one for the MOOG Model D (standalone software) - it doesn't work in KK as the plugin only comes as au3 but you can now Kontrol it using MIDI - ZIP includes Kontrol template and mapping for the instrument which you also need to import - unlike KK you can actually map the buttons with real buttons (which I also coloured to match those on the Model D) - I just wish you could use the buttons in KK too (also the template editor does a load of other things like allow for rearranging user pages that I wish you could do in the NKS editor in KK)

• Jakemaley
    Jakemaley Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

First off, my hats off to NI for finally doing this with these amazing keyboards. Can someone please make a midi template for the Moog Grandmother (the hardware synth) for the S Series Keyboard I would honestly pay for it at this point because it would speed my workflow with that synth to a whole other level. If not I’ll attempt to make it for the community

• Kymeia
    edited August 1

Yeah I was also thinking that it would be nice to have one :)

I guess it might be possible from the specs but hard to get right without the keyboard to test it with. My suggestion is get to grips with how template building works, it’s actually very straightforward, and make it yourself then share it with the community

• Matthew_NI

I preferred my suggestion

• Kymeia

Well you would 😝

• Kymeia
    edited August 2

I’m making one now for the MOOG Model 15

Only downside of these is param jumping when you change patches. I tried using relative mode but it seems these synths are not setup to work with relative MIDI (unless anyone can show me how?). There is an option for 14 bit MIDI for higher resolution MIDI, does Kontrol support that, (or would it require activating MIDI 2, which I am reluctant to do as it‘s still buggy?) but I can’t see one for relative MIDI?

• Matthew_NI

Kontrol does not yet support that. High resolution is a great feature of MIDI 2 that we do plan to support as adoption increases.

• DJ Go-iLL
    DJ Go-iLL Member Posts: 22 Member

Question I own a KOMPLETE KONTROL S61 MK2 & S88 MK2 is the ability to import and export midi templates the same process?