Traktor Pro 4 making stems playing track is stuttering

Dreeejeee
Dreeejeee Member Posts: 6 Member

Hi,

When I make stems in traktor pro 4 version 4.01 the track that is playing begins to stutter.According to the Native Instruments video I should be able to do this

I got aMacbook air with M1 processor

Samsung T7 shield portable ssd that's connected to

Traktor kontrol s4 mk3

all the directories from Traktor pro 4 are pointing to the samsung T7

See link to the movie. At the moment the track stutters, the CPU load is clipping

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ovdjHr85mxUjhPAH8

Anyone got a idea?

Kind regards

André

Best Answer

• Nico_Tf
    Nico_Tf Member Posts: 36 Helper
    Answer ✓

If you have 8gb of memory, that’s not enough to extract a stem live. The OS will page the memory to disk and that will cause dropouts.

Run the activity monitor, if the memory pressure goes yellow, it will stutter.

Answers

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 325 Pro
    edited July 26

Try connecting your ssd to the computer directly and see if the stuttering still occurs. Maybe read/write speeds of your ssd are too slow.

If you encounter CPU spikes, increase latency/buffer size.

• Isotoxin
    Isotoxin Member Posts: 200 Advisor

This is weird. I have seen TP4 STEMS review video and it showed that at least Apple CPU uses only about 3 cores for STEMS.

Maybe you are using some energy saving profile? Or cpu starts thermal throttling (this to should not make any problems).

• Nico_Tf
    Nico_Tf Member Posts: 36 Helper
    Answer ✓

If you have 8gb of memory, that’s not enough to extract a stem live. The OS will page the memory to disk and that will cause dropouts.

Run the activity monitor, if the memory pressure goes yellow, it will stutter.

• Dj Davidoff
    Dj Davidoff Member Posts: 22 Member

Making stems while playing tracks or doing other things is at this moment not a good idea. In a live situation, TP4 uses 3% to 4% of the CPU of my laptop. While generating stems in a batch, CPU usage is between 55% and 95 % !

• Dreeejeee

I did some checking with my CPU & memory. CPU load is 25% but memory is full 8 GB. So that's my problem.

So no live stems for me😀. Also with NUO stems I got the same problem. Problem found but not solved😎

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 2,472 mod
  • Dreeejeee

thanks @Nico_Tf for the tip to run the activity monitor

• Isotoxin
  • jasperverhulst
    jasperverhulst Member Posts: 2 Member

It has nothing to do with RAM
    i have an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 3,7 GHz (4,8 GHz Turbo Boost) (12 core) with 64 GB ram and even on my PC i get stutters while mixing and doing stem separation at the same time: all my 12 cores are being used and they go in the red.

my ram is nowhere near filled

• Dreeejeee

strange. On my Mac the CPU is doing nothing and the 8 GB is with peaks full. Well…they have some work to do😁 and with the new 4.02 update, nothing has changed. But on the other hand… If I run NUO Stems while I'm playing a track on traktor, it also stutters

• Isotoxin
    edited August 21

And with NUO Stems the memory usage is the same - huge? So in the end, looks like the 8GB of RAM on Mac computers is not the same as 16GB on Windows laptops? 😁

• jasperverhulst
    jasperverhulst Member Posts: 2 Member

I discovered something here:
    my traktor was setup to use multi cores, which is awesome for analysing multipple tracks at once.

But apparantly this setting also impacts the stem separation: ALL my cores were used for stem separation.

I now disabled this option, and voila: my traktor runs perfectly while i can do stem separation together without the stutters….

This should be documented in the settings imho…