S5 MIDI signal mixup

DJEEka
DJEEka Member Posts: 13 Member
edited February 29 in Mapping Traktor

Hi, just plugged back to my S5 after some time using another controller, and I'm facing a weird mixup of the MIDI signals.

Certain knobs or faders of the mixer section are inactive, or now control a different function.

For example:

Deck D volume fader, now controls deck D volume PLUS deck C filter.

I tried resetting the S5 in Traktor settings, also tried reverting to the default qml folder.

Also made sure to disable any other midi mapping that could interfere.

Testing with the controller editor shows that some knobs/faders don't send any MIDI signal, while other are picked up as the wrong control.

Here, Deck D volume fader also sends signals to Deck C filter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_G_wUDJkCY

And trying in MIDI mode in traktor, I get the "learn" function to return signals on two different channels, for that Deck D volume fader that controls two functions now.

It really looks like it's at hardware level, but I just plugged the S5 back in, and it was working perfectly last time I tried it.

Is there a way to do a hardware reset? Or has anyone seen something like this before?

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,622 mod

It sounds like you have the same Channel and CC numbers assigned to your Filter knob and Volume knob. I'd check that the Controller Manager.

• DJEEka

The weird thing is that it happens even in the Controller Editor, which I assume only looks at the hardware signals.

I didn't change any MIDI mapping myself on the S5, the image above shows that the Controller Manager (in Traktor settings) picks up mixed MIDI signals just from the hardware.

What would you do from here?

I wonder if there isn't some sort of short circuits in the unit itself.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod
    edited January 2022

Hello,

just re- load the mapping, as if you install it the first time, you can also use the install wizard.

Go to the traktor S5 entry and delete it then try to install new.

Uwe

• DJEEka
    edited January 2022

Not sure what you mean, I don't really have a mapping for my S5, using the default setup.

I never installed any mapping for it.

Using the install wizard doesn't solve the problem.

It doesn't look like it's mapping-related, look at this screen capture of the Controller Editor, it shows that when I move the Deck D volume fader, it also sends signals on Deck A's filter.

It has to be a hardware issue, but there was no bump or hit on the S5, it was just stored for about a month.

• Stevan

Do you have the same issue with Default mapping for S5?

• DJEEka
    Answer ✓

Yes, it's the same in Traktor with the factory mapping.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Hello,

i mean that entry, you could delete it and also above the mapping then use the wizard to reinstall.

Uwe

• Stevan
    Answer ✓

It is a hardware problem 99%

Also try to connect to a MIDI Monitor app and see if the same problem exists, just to be 100% sure.

• DJEEka

Okay thanks everyone, I'll be looking for someone to help me fix the unit 😒

• Fleischwolf
    Fleischwolf Member Posts: 2 Member

Hey @Djeedjee , did you ever find a solution for this?

This started happening to my own S5, presumably due to running it on a generator that might have been putting out ****** power since it powered down (Even though it had an inverter to filter the AC).

• DJEEka
    edited July 2023

@Fleischwolf

Yeah, I got it serviced and it's back to operation.

From what I understand, the technician opened the unit and cleaned everything using something like Deoxit contact cleaner. My guess is that there must have been some short circuit somewhere.

It's now running okay.