NKS User Library

Options

Comments

• Rikk Show
    Rikk Show Member Posts: 98 Helper
    Options

It seems with the latest KK they updated how library images are read.

I can now see my custom image in KK's plugin view (top row). This works for sub-libraries of, UVI Workstation, Reason, Emulator X and so on.

But NOT in Kontakt 7, anyone know if it is possible?.

When you now import a library in the new Kontakt browser, Kontakt even organizes the NKS files according to the Kontakt nki folder structure. Pretty cool, it got solved finally.

Shown here is Reason Parsec:

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,360 mod
    Options

But NOT in Kontakt 7, anyone know if it is possible?

If i understood your question, the same thing apply to Reaktor. Each ensemble (instrument) can have only 1 bank and 1 sub-bank. Usually the bank is the name of the ensemble. Sub-banks are rarely used, because of this limitation, as usually, an instrument can have many sub-banks.

So i assume, this is the case with Kontakt too

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,742 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

For custom Kontakt libraries if you import them to the browser you can create a custom image and put it in NI Resources/Image with the library name like you do with KK only you just need MST_artwork.png

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 410 Guru
    Options

This should also work oin Kontakt 7 - it's how you have different MST_plugin images for Factory Library 2. I'll do some testing later today, but it should work in the same way as FL2 folder structure does.

This change has been usable since 2.7 I think - I was working on HALion, and got this working- and @JesterMgee did the same in splitting on his original release.

• Kymeia
    Options

Yeah we had some discussion of this on the forum a while back and since then many of us have stopped feeling a need to add additional folders to get images on both screens for example - it has made things simpler

• Rikk Show
    Options

Are you able to get the MST_plugin image to show in KK (The row with plugin images, same where the knobs are), for Komplete libraries (Plugin view on the hw)?

Browser view on hw is fine.

Both pictures are plugin view.

I'm not able to, I just get the factory Komplete 7 image. My custom json files has "Native Instruments" as vendor.

• Kymeia
    edited June 2023
    Options

NewsonicArts plugins are finally in public beta for VST3 so I am making NKS for each of them (except Freestyle which isn't in VST3 yet but hopefully will be soon). These are great plugins in their own right, but also integrate well with and expand the functionality of Komplete Kontrol (they were created by the original developer responsible for Kore and Maschine).

Freestyle for example adds the ability to create multis with synths and fx and the latest beta includes Kore style morphing. Granite adds a very capable granular sampler that accepts samples dragged and dropped from the KK sample folders, and Nuance 2 and Vice 2 are also good replacements for the built in KK sampler - Nuance is a great quick sampler for creating sampled instruments from scratch, and Vice 2 is more dedicated to drum loops and loop slicing

First up is Granite - this is in the NewSonicArts folder in the NKS User Library now and includes a small number of factory patches (with previews and tagging) but the real power is in dragging in your own samples. Out of all the granular instruments I have this is the most immediate and encourages exploration and experimentation - every param has its own internal modulation and automation recording so you can easily make moving and evolving sounds from a single sample.

• Rikk Show
    Options

Here is my MST_plugin in the image/kontakt folder.

I do have capital letters in file and folder names, but that is no longer an issue, right?

I also forgot to add the MST_plugin first time I ran KK. Will it remember this and not look again?

• Kymeia
    Options

I think it should be MST_artwork.png and slightly smaller (134x66) - that's what I have anyway (obviously in a folder named after the library)

• Kymeia
    edited June 2023
    Options

Not for Kontakt libraries - it's a bit different as KK see's them all as libraries not separate plugins

• TallerThanPenguins
    TallerThanPenguins Member Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I've created a ton of image and db files for my various non-player Kontakt libraries but cannot seem to get a few things to work right:

1. Image when ANY non-player Kontakt library is loaded does not show the MST images and logo in KK or on the hardware. Used to use the default Kontakt 7 image as you say above @Kymeia, now it consistently shows a random library plugin image (MST_plugin) and logo (MST_logo) I created - cannot figure out how I managed that but it seems stuck now to always show the same library instead of default Kontakt - even though the images/kontakt folder has the original art (and displays correctly if using factory selection instruments).
    2. I consistently set the vendor in the .meta and .json files but some libraries still show under Native Instruments in the KK browser. Cannot seem to identify why this happens - I worked through the libraries in vendor order and was copy/pasting the new files and saw different results for the same vendor.
    3. Have not shared what I've done as I have not found/set up a scalable way to create previews (Mac/Apple silicon) so it's just useful so far for images/logos and I don't know the root cause of 1 & 2 so don't want to create problems for others.

• Vagus
    Options

On point two, I use DB Browser to search the DB and make changes for things that won't move, despite .meta and .json files.

• Vagus
    Options

@Juho Tuomainen I've now completed the Beatskillz plugins, which you can find on the User Library Dropbox, by clicking this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/77xozc5vbzb3svf/AAA3BbR9EbN7WFcZa6_SOyq2a?dl=0

Papyrus Keys was more difficult, as this had to be tagged by ear, but I hope this helps.

Any feedback or changes, let me know and I'll amend. As for Zodiac, I believe @Christos Adamos Is working on this one.

• Vagus
    Options

Let us know when Freestyle gets a VST3 - honestly, given the developers history, it would be worth NI buying it, and hiring him full-time to bring Maschine/KK into the 2020s.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,292 Expert
    Options

I never heard these plugins and seem interesting.

So you think they are good additions to NI for KK. Do you suggest them?

Being you considerable quite an expert of plug-ins to use with NI I would take your suggestion. And also considering you are already thinking to “port” them for NKS User Library 👍🏼

I have some money to spend in a couple of plugins and this round I’d rather look outside of NI circle.

Any suggestion would be welcome and thank you for making me discover them