NKS User Library

Options

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,600 Expert
    Options

Yep, there was hope that there was some kind of magical way to have VST3 plugins automatically just slot in place when VST2 was not available and this almost seemed possible.... However then I discovered the impossible problem that almost all instruments appeared to show completely different ID values for the same control between VST2/3 so even if it opens, the controls all don't work.

I still believe something is wrong there since every 3rd party plugin is doing the same but apparently this is explained as (paraphrased) "developers have not done the VST2/3 migration correctly so users need to contact developers"

In any case, not something we can simply hope will change, have to do what we always do and just press on and get things done.

Yeah there's gonna be a lot of additional work in many different ways. I've finally built a new blazing fast PC after 10 years so now have 3 workhorses to do processing and automated tagging (tho juggling most plugins that offer just 2 licenses is a bit of a challenge) so I have spent the time in the Beta just testing various different ways of carrying the data (mostly tagging) over from VST2/3. Some libraries can be easily converted, some need new templates and can then be converted and others need to be completely ripped and hopefully tagged using the existing tagging.... Oh how I hate the manual tag process, that's the main part that requires manual work if the plugins don't contain enough info to script tagging.

• Christos Adamos
    Christos Adamos Member Posts: 131 Pro
    Options

Yeah the tagging procedure is the most painful thing. At this time i deal with db3 file export to csv and automate copy paste tags from vst to vst3 presets. I wonder if there is an easier way but I'm afraid not😓

• Christos Adamos
    Options

New Labs "Gaelic Voices"

Converted with VST3 plugin version and now works flawlessly, so i decide to reconvert all LABS in VST3 but it will takes me some days.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjOHJOPYHiuQiIp9b3G6ZBcg40QVKg?e=dkM8Yx

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,738 mod
    edited November 2022
    Options

To be honest I have a different perspective. Right now I'm extremely pleased, after waiting for so long, to have access to plugins like Plasmonic, Equator 2, Surge XT, Dawesome Novum, Padshop 2, Imagine, Quanta 2, KORG Wavestate and OPSix native, the Noise Engineering plugins (which are amazing!) and many more new plugins that are now almost all coming out in VST3 only, and on ARM Mac as we know VST2 is on its last legs anyway (probably Win too truth be told, it will just be a messier more drawn out process).

I'm also very pleased to have a super fast Mac Studio and super snappy (finally) Komplete Kontrol setup. Having all that I can live for a while without having a gazillion NKS presets from plugins that don't migrate (yet) at my disposal, most of which tbh I hardly use anyway. I make my own mostly anyway. In time most will be updated to migrate or someone clever enough like Jester will figure out how to convert them but tbh right now I'm over the need for KK to be an all encompassing patch librarian. It's a non stop Hamster wheel anyway - there's always more coming out. If I am really missing something it takes a second to resave that patch as a new NKS preset using the VST3 version, but for me KK has always been primarily about tactile and flexible hardware control of all my plugins anyway, and I have access now to many more of those (most of my favourites in the last 2 years are VST3 only). I am confident we will get native versions of Reaktor and Massive X within the next few months, and I am sure also that eventually more plugins will migrate but in the meantime I am happy playing with all the new toys that now run so fast.

• Christos Adamos
    Options

It depends on how you want to use the KK. I believe there is no wrong or right way, it just different ways to use it. For me it's very useful to have all the presets with previews especially for quite heavy plugins like Kontakt. On the other hand many times i use it as a sound design tool and i create my own presets. Of course i'm very happy too for the VST3 upgrade and i believe more cool things coming soon!

• Kymeia
    edited November 2022
    Options

Absolutely - I'm not saying there is a 'right way' but just opening up the possibility that there may be different ways of seeing the situation we are currently in - that there are big opportunities here, it isn't all problems

• Rikk Show
    Rikk Show Member Posts: 98 Helper
    Options

Hey, I used the "gulp-nks-rewrite-meta" that jhorology created to look at the difference of a VST3 shell vs real VST3 data. And the only thing I saw that was a difference was the vendor info. If you read the source file data of a freshly created NKS you can see the correct vendor name. Then I think just use the KK tagging to change the "VST" vendor name to the correct one all in one go.

• Rikk Show
    Options

Fired up Reason Rack Plugin in KK. Works OK. Loaded 20 instances, no crash. Resizing of KK not always working when changing the RRP zoom. You get access to up to some 3500 RRP parameters. The auto naming uses the Rack Extension patch name, so need to always rename to something useful. Easy enough to map knobs from several REs in a rack.

Too bad the home brew graphics never show in the KK plugin view, only while browsing. But I was able to create custom banks for "Synthesizers" and "Sampled Instruments" all within the RRP, so that works fine.

The RRP won't be a great sharing of KK patches since you may load up many different REs or Refills and it is not likely someone else has those unless you stick to stock. But that kind of defeats the purpose of building your custom rack. (You cannot save RRP as a monolith afaik).

The KK browser is so good compared to the RRP browser. Very happy to convert some of my fav Refills and synths and bring them back into action.

• Kymeia
    Options

Cool I hadn’t got round to Reason Rack yet. You can show custom graphics in both views if you make a second copy of the image thumbnails mst_plugin and OSO_logo and place them in a folder in NI Resources/images with the plugin-name (but not inside one with the developer name) (see the info.txt file in the NKS User Library)

• Mercury
    Mercury Member Posts: 87 Advisor
    Options

Sorry but I think it's not true for all plugins. I'm using gulp-nks-rewrite-meta too. The Jupiter-4 library I made for VST3 Shell won't load in KK 2.8.0.

I had to redo it from scratch (except the files into NI_Ressources and .previews)

• Diam
    Diam Member Posts: 217 Helper
    Options

A simple VST3 nks template for Juno 60 Chorus plugin to use alongside Juno 60 plugin by Roland Cloud.

No artwork added, though you can create your own or use the existing artwork from your Juno 60 plugin if need be.

• Rikk Show
    Options

Yeah, that has been discussed that some plugin manufacturers haven't implement a seamless migration to VST3. Or even changed the plugin ID (or something like that) Their fault. But it is worth a try as step one.

• Rikk Show
    Options

I wasn't clear. I make libraries of Refills. I can get the Rack Plugin graphics to show in plugin view, but not the library graphics. The library graphics only show while browsing.

• Kymeia
    Options

Ah sorry I thought when you were referring to plugin and browser views you meant the 2 different screens on the keyboard

• Kymeia
    edited November 2022
    Options

To be fair it isn't really their fault, NI don't appear to have communicated with all their NKS partners about the changes (eg u-he) so some migrate (eg AAS) but some don't.