NKS Development Discussion

Comments

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,773 mod

UPDATE:

The thread is now re-opened and renamed to "NKS Development Discussion" (to avoid confusion with the major category which is also named as NKS User Library). It was also partially cleaned, mostly from dead links (like zippyshare.com and similar), some duplicates etc.

We can now continue our conversations, findings etc. as we used to.

With 2 exceptions:

1 - Please do not post NKS presets links here!
    Use their appropriate thread for that. If it doesn't exists, create it.

2 - If you have any requests for NKS presets that does not exist yet, please post them in the NKS Requests discussion.

Thank you :-)

• chpiatt
    chpiatt Member Posts: 86 Helper

What's the protocol for sharing Kontakt instruments with updated/fixed mappings? Assuming if you don't share the samples it's kosher? So, just the instruments folder + any relevant NI Resources?

• Sunborn

I was also thought about a Kontakt NKS related thread and i do have some material to post too. But i couldn't decide if it fits on NKS category or it should be posted in Kontakt category. But since you mentioned it. If @Kymeia agrees too, i can make a new thread here, tomorrow!

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod

Probably best for its own thread, same as Reaktor. I also have attempted some Kontakt mods, with mixed success and not sure myself about what is safe to share

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 411 Advisor

for all I see so far , NKS is on the run to be despised in the long run and a lot of more open protocols are going to make it if maintained as is . I am NOT NKS 😁

• Sunborn

I did it.
    I think is safe to share anything, since NKS presets will not work at all, if the library is missing!

But for start, we can focus on presets for free libraries only, and previews and missing resources for all libraries.

• Kaldosh

Great, keep doing this , I am on my way to solve my NKS issues using other NKS issues

• chpiatt
    edited June 16

For context, what I have ready are some fixes for Spitfire Audio Kontakt libraries (missing previews, broken knob mappings, etc.) Assume the place to put these would be the Spitfire Audio thread, but wanted feedback on the format before posting. Most of these are official libraries listed in Native Access, they've just been broken forever and Spitfire is not fixing them. I'm sure others would be interested in the fixes I made if we think sharing them is kosher.

• Sunborn

Spitfire Audio plugins should go of course in the Spitfire Audio NKS thread, but i think that Spitfire Audio Kontakt libraries should go to new Kontakt libraries NKS thread. @Kymeia what are your thoughts about this?

• Kymeia
    edited June 17

I think they should probably just go under Spitfire but either way is ok. I see the Kontakt thread as more dedicated to how to tackle Kontakt from an NKS standpoint as it’s one plugin I struggle with because its integration with KK is clunky to say the least.

• chpiatt
    edited June 17

For sure. I've learned some things about what you can/can't seem to fix when it comes to Kontakt library issues at the moment from this process:

- Adding previews, images, etc. usually no problem.
    - Creating KK mappings for Kontakt instruments where none currently exist is usually doable, just potentially time-consuming.
    - Fixing broken knob mappings is pretty straightforward, just potentially time-consuming.
    - Applying a knob mapping programatically to a bunch of Kontakt instruments from a single mapping done within KK is, shockingly, easier to do than it is with regular .nksf files (provided the instruments have consistent 'Host Automation' mappings - which is often not the case, at least with Spitfire's Kontakt instruments. So, time-consuming to fix.)
    - Fixing 'vendor' mappings so that libraries show up under the right tabs in KK is, frustratingly: "it depends".
    - Making snapshot-based presets for third-party Kontakt libraries load correctly in KK without having to manually resolve the link to the underlying samples every time you open the preset seems to be impossible (or at least really difficult) at the moment.

Would be interested to learn about other's methods when it comes to Kontakt or share my own if there's interest in that thread

• Kymeia
    edited June 17

Making snapshot-based presets for third-party Kontakt libraries load correctly in KK without having to manually resolve the link to the underlying samples every time you open the preset seems to be impossible (or at least really difficult) at the moment.

Yes, this to me is something that has needed fixing for years, this is why I need someone to test my Deepflight snapshots. It's even a problem if you change the drive the samples are on or move to a new computer. And yet NI authored snapshots seem to manage fine so yet again we have an example of them not really thinking much about the user experience, as long as NI and NI partner content works that's good enough.

Also I have been able to make it a 'standalone' instrument but for some reason KK still identifies it as a Kontakt instrument in that it shows the default Kontakt mst_plugin image, not the Deepflight one I made for it. I have tried everything I can think of…In the browser it appears as Deepflight 2 though and I was able to make audio previews for it.

• Sunborn

This is because, at least the snapshots from the official libraries are not directory-depended, but folder-depended. There is no declared path inside their code. As long as the snapshot is in the <Library name>/Instruments, it will always work, no matter where you move it

" I have been able to make it a 'standalone' instrument but for some reason KK still identifies it as a Kontakt instrument in that it shows the default Kontakt mst_plugin image, not the Deepflight one I made for it."

please download and check the resources pack i did, to see how to do it… a simple mst plugin image, is not enough… you need the "full pack", including the .meta file, all inside their own folder, and that folder should not be inside Kontakt folder

• Kymeia

Thanks - thing is I did all that and it still shows all images in the browser except mst_plugin

• Kaldosh

in my configuration, I tried what all used to work. I don’t know what happened in the last maschine update . Could there be an issue about using KK 2.9.6 and last Maschine update ? So do you recommend downgrading trying to get everything back up and run in (as it should) and stay there ? I’d rather keep my old stuff working and stay in my school if that is the only way to get my hard work back on track. Because even after doing the usual trick it doesn’t want to work and want me to go through the same work all over again which is something I am going to wish to all to be understood. Let me know