Buying used Maschine Jam

S00LONG
S00LONG Member Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2022 in Maschine

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a used JAM on ebay and was wondering what the deal with the license is, do i need the License for it to work? i found some threads with conflicting answers. the one i am looking at does not coming with any software or license keys. I already have a Maschine MK3 with Komplete select, if that makes a difference.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

You only need one license, your MK3 license already unlocks the software so the Jam should work fine.

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/maschine-mk3-user-buying-jam-secondhand-with-no-software.373375/

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

If you have MK3 already, no technical problem to use Jam that comes without SW and which is not possible register at your NI account. Everything will work fine.

Also, even if you sell MK3 one day, software that comes with it stays at your account and new user will get a new licences. So, even in that case you should be safe....

The only pitfall of buying without SW and HW Transfer code makes Jam cheaper in case you would want to sell it one day.

Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

You only need one license, your MK3 license already unlocks the software so the Jam should work fine.

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/maschine-mk3-user-buying-jam-secondhand-with-no-software.373375/

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

If you have MK3 already, no technical problem to use Jam that comes without SW and which is not possible register at your NI account. Everything will work fine.

Also, even if you sell MK3 one day, software that comes with it stays at your account and new user will get a new licences. So, even in that case you should be safe....

The only pitfall of buying without SW and HW Transfer code makes Jam cheaper in case you would want to sell it one day.

• eyeyeyeye
    eyeyeyeye Member Posts: 8 Member

I was just about to list my Maschine Jam for sale, I have the HW code and I'm pretty sure the SW code too. I just sent you a DM in case you're interested.

• S00LONG
    S00LONG Member Posts: 2 Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, you have answered my question

• dbilancione
    dbilancione Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi. I hope this thread is still “live”. I am also interested in buying a second hand Maschine Jam but I do not know much about licensing HW/SW. The seller told me he cannot provide the license has it is linked to his KOMPLETE ULTIMATE. Would I still be able to use it? Thank you for you replies :)

• Kubrak
    edited January 2023

You can use it without software.

I am not sure, if following applies also to Jam. NI has changed system how licence transfer of bundled SW works, few years ago. Now it works that when HW is transferred, SW stays at seller's account and buyer gets new licences. And even better, buyer receives current versions of bundled SW.

So, if this new schme applies also to Jam, seller may sell Jam including bundled SW and keep licences, that already has. It is win/win for the both.

Better to verify at NI support that, it works like this.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

Sounds odd to me. Maschine was never part of the Komplete Bundle. Best to contact support though.

• myalteredsoul
    myalteredsoul Member Posts: 201 Advisor

He can log in to his NI account and put in a transfer request just for the Maschine 2 license. Otherwise, you can purchase the Maschine 2 license on its own via https://www.native-instruments.com/en/pricing/maschine-essentials/

• Kubrak

No, he cannot transfer just Maschine as it is suplement of Jam HW. Best way is to ask NI, if bundled SW stays at seller´s account when transfering HW.

And side note. Jam is great, but just Jam without Maschine is so, so. That was IMHO the reason Jam was not successfull. It is great expansion/companion of Maschine HW, but not so good as the only controller for Maschine 2 SW.

@ozon Maschine is not part of Komplete bundle, but it was bundled with Jam together with Komplete Select.

• ozon

@Kubrak yes, but Seller claims their MASCHINE JAM to be tied to their KOMPLETE ULTIMATE license, which I’ve never heard of. Maybe a side grade from MASCHINE to KOMPLETE was based on the JAM. But still they should be separate products.

Anyway, best to contact NI support.

• Kubrak

If I understand it well, seller does not want to sell SW that is bundled with Jam, because he bought upgrade to Komplete Select that comes with Jam.

You might be right that seller might think that Upgrade is "glued" to bundled KS. But also it might be, that seller does not have another Komplete Select. So, needs this one, or would need to buy replacement...

IMHO, bundled SW stays at account of seller and buyer gets new licences of bundled SW. But better check at NI Support. It works like that for most NI bundled SW, but not for oldest HW. I am not sure, where the line old-current is. Jam is not that old....

• ozon

Ok, I just checked what happened when I bought my used Maschine Jam in February 2021:

After the license transfer of the JAM HW, I automatically received a license for Maschine 2 and Komplete Select. Nice. However, I don't know whether the full Maschine 2 Library is included as well.

• Kubrak

In this case more important is, whether Komplete Select stays at seller's account or not. Maschine 2 is full version (unless NI changed it later), one gets the same SW like with Maschine MK3.