Komplete Kontrol VST3 Breaking Old Projects Fixed Yet?

syyl
syyl Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited 9:23AM in Komplete Kontrol

Many have had the issue of not being able to load previous projects after KK updated to VST3, unless downgrading to a previous VST version. (see original post below)

I was wondering if there have been any real fixes for this yet or any other workarounds, as the one offered in this mentioned post is not working for me. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Best Answer

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,078 Expert
    Answer ✓

Never going to be a VST2 of Komplete Kontrol v3 - so not sure what you are expecting to see.

Any projects that use the old KK v2.9.x VST2 will need to manually updated.

VP

Answers

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,078 Expert
    Answer ✓

Never going to be a VST2 of Komplete Kontrol v3 - so not sure what you are expecting to see.

Any projects that use the old KK v2.9.x VST2 will need to manually updated.

VP

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,882 Expert
    edited June 25

Nothing will ever change in this department, you will need to get familiar with the issue and how to update all your projects to use VST3 versions of everything using the previous V2 of KK before even updating….

While it is possible to still load VST2 plugins within KK (for all the good it offers), all projects that had the VST2 version of KK will be broken and there is no simple way to put this, you will basically have to use KK V2 to load previous projects, delete the VST2 instance of KK and replace with the VST3 version, reload the instrument that was on that track and the preset and if you recorded automation, you have to redo that all again too or somehow remap the automation to whatever the parameter is in the VST3 version.

None of this is technically NIs doing, it is what many consider a pretty terrible design for the whole VST protocol in that it is not easily forwards/backwards compatible in many cases and lack of knowledge in maintaining compatibility from most devs (citing the VST SDK is too complex to understand). However, there is also no info from NI as to how to prepare for this or how to resolve these issues that I have been made aware of, nor any kind of warnings when you update you lose VST2 compatibility (which they could have easily maintained) and of course, the way Native Access is designed makes you feel you have to always update everything all the time and of course, there is no simple roll back option or even any statement that pops up to make you aware that installing the latest version will completely stop your MK1 keyboard from working for instance. That is also poor design on NIs part.

Personally given the other issues I find with V3 of KK I feel you are better to just stick with v2 TBH and finish the projects you have while making sure to only use the VST3 instance of KK on any new projects and then in 10 years time when KK V4 comes out you may find finally that V3 is in a usable state.

This discussion has been closed.