install of native products is ridiculously slow

databass
databass Member Posts: 11 Newcomer
edited October 22 in Native Access

ive read all of the native instrument suggestions , I have no vpn , im using a cable , my speed is 150 mbps , ive reset my network gear but none of these are the cause of the issue . its taken me 2 full days and nights and im only halfway with my komplete 14 . its always this way. in my opinion native instrument really need to improve their servers as its a painful process to set up a hard drive for a new machine . I had bought a new dedicated ssd to finally download all my owned library in one location . anybody have any work arounds or other suggestions ?

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,102 Expert

"I have no VPN , I'm using a cable, my speed is 150 mbps"

150mbps is a snails pace for any sort of downloads. 1GB (minimum) wired Ethernet is more where you need to be.

Another hard ceiling these days is your location.

Where you are can make a drastic difference in downloads from NI servers.

VP

• databass

1 gb per second !!!! wow where do you get your internet ? you certainly dont live in Australia

• Vocalpoint
    edited June 13
  • databass

thats awesome . wish I lived in Canada . at best my internet is 300 mbps on a very good day

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 3,398 Expert

With 150 Mbit/s internet, it would only take ~9h to download 650GB. Saying you need 1Gbit internet is nothing more than gaslighting. 50% of 650GB in 48H would mean a download speed of ~15Mbit/s

There are multiple reports on this forum that some people will get extremely slow download speeds. And for god knows what reasons people more or less attack the victim. This ain't the first time I see this.

For the prices we pay NI they should be able to afford a CDN with decent peering around the globe.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 334 Pro

@databass There's a lot of variables to this, such ISP, NI servers and I've heard plenty of complaints NA2/3 is abysmally slow for all sorts of reasons. I dont know how much worse this problem has become of recent times, but trust me, if you can download 650GB is 9 hours that is waaaaaaay better than what some people get, including myself.

To give you an idea, it took me around 12 hours EACH to download Lores and Omnia which are huge. My concern was more about the connection staying up. Well it did and I dont remember having one failure on NA1 (which Im still on) and Im talking about downloading the big files included in K13 UCE, but wern't on the HDD and since upgrading to K14 UCE. Theres been SCADS of people rightfully complaining about broken/failed downloads.

That to say this….I totally agree. NI needs to up their game with all these infuriating download issues. VP you're not helping anyone by coming across as SKITING about your internet speeds. Worse than that, you need to realize there's more people in the world than just you. Not everyone has access to the best speeds.

There's even people worse off than me. But Im quite happy as long as the connection stays up which it does on NA1, unlike stupid ridiculous googledrive which fails for a lot of people because NIs quota runs out, or too many people are trying to download stuff at once.

• Vocalpoint
    edited June 13

@lord-carlos

"here are multiple reports on this forum that some people will get extremely slow download speeds. And for god knows what reasons people more or less attack the victim. This ain't the first time I see this"

Firstly - I am not bragging or wallowing in my speed that I get here. It is what it is and I wish everyone had access like this. I realize many folks are not as lucky as some others and I get it.

Secondly NOT attacking the victim - more like fact checking their ISP and their infrastructure.

In almost every case of the someone complaining about their downloads - they are either in a country with suspect internet service, are far away from any NI node or running on wi-fi (with family members watching Netflix or gaming down the hall) on a non-pro router expecting miracles.

And no one seems to takes into account their internet traffic in their area. The activity on the network hops to actually leave your area and access an NI server - which could be 20 hops away dancing across several other countries - all with their own set of issues. It takes about two seconds to do a trace route to see if where your are and where the closest NI node is - is a clear track or not.

Finally - NI servers are speed capped. We cannot just all hit them at full speed - regardless of what our full speed might be. That is by design. There is only so much bandwidth - whether we like it or not.

VP

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,633 Expert
    edited June 13

I thought Vocalpoint was referring to databass's LOCAL network speed (LAN connection) with the 1GB comment…

Maybe not.

IMO 150-300Mbs is still pretty good, compared to speeds of old. Gigabit speeds are not available (or affordable) to everyone. My provider for instance offers FTTP at 100/300/500/900. They also still provide 10Mbs.

Traffic is a big factor though. I'm using an ISP that's not a household name. I suspect that if I did use a wider known ISP, my connection would suffer. Your location and hence the route comes into it too.

It's easy to blame NI for these issues but more often it's simply traffic/route.

• Vocalpoint

@PK The DJ

I was referring to my actual download speed to the Internet.

And yes - the first and only "target" to blame here is always NI - as if somehow they have any ability to make any single user's internet connection faster to a NI server node.

Traffic and network routing is the bottom line here. Some countries have great routing to a nearby NI server node and others do not. This 100% out of anyone's control.

Another thing I keep seeing is folks comparing how Netflix is not slow at their place and yet NA is.

NI does not have a network infrastructure or the bandwidth of a Netflix or a Prime Video or a Disney+. They have a decent foot print from what I can tell but these comparisons simply do not square with the real world.

VP

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 334 Pro

Yeah well the real world being what it is, sufficed greatly when we were offered the option of a HD on purchase, which is what I got for K13 UCE. If you weigh up the cost of that, verses all the continual grief people get all around the globe for whatever reason, and NI's time taken up with such, I bet HDDs would still be worth it.

This discussion has been closed.