Noire CC64 Controller (Sustain)

Bernie Rivera
Bernie Rivera Member Posts: 8 Newcomer
edited 12:00PM in Tech Talks

Hello.

I tested the behavior of the CC64 controller in VST Noire because the sustain of the instrument seemed unnatural to me. (See table). The behavior was measured from note A1 - A7.

Normally, you would expect the behavior of a piano pedal to be even. This is not the case with the Noire VST. The measurements result in very coarse steps in the sustain behavior, which are completely unnatural.

The first stage is at CC64 value 109 where the sustain drops off abruptly. Using the example of A1 and A2 from 40 sec. to 7 sec.

The second stage is at CC64 value 63 where the value drops from 7 sec. to 2 sec. There are some other stages too. In fact the CC64 does not show any linearity.

It can also be observed that the notes A1 and A2 have largely identical sustain behavior, which would be physically impossible with a real piano

In addition (not listed in the table), the notes from A3 onwards no longer decay at low CC64 values (under level 30) but are cut off as if with a razor.

The Noire piano therefore has a behavior that makes it impossible to play classical music properly, for example.

This is a great pity, because otherwise I like this VST very much.

Perhaps some of you will write about your experiences with the sustain of the Noire VST and measure the values yourself in your DAW. I´ve used cakewalk y Bandlab.

Here is the procedure:

Preset to ”Basic Pure”. No effects!

Halfpedal and Repedal switched on!

Velocity level 127.

In the timeline of your DAW, set a short note A1 (about 250 ticks or so) with velocity level 127 and CC64 level at 127. Play, watch the time and stop measuring when you can no longer hear the sustain. If you have fast dB meters, you can use them until the level drops below -60 dB and then stop measuring.

Then reset the midi and audio engine.

Repeat the procedure with the other CC64 levels, especially around the gaps indicated in the table.

Repeat the procedure with the other tones A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7 (A8 makes no sense).

The procedure may not be 100% exact because of the different anatomy and reaction of the testing Person, headphones, etc. But it is fair enough to measure the behavior of this VST.

This discussion has been closed.