Maschine 2.18 VST3 unable to load embedded Maschine Project in Cubase

ozon
ozon Member Posts: 1,580 Expert
edited June 8 in Maschine

Using the Maschine 2.18.0 and 2.18.1 VST3, Cubase does not load the Maschine Project embedded with the plugin if it was created with Maschine 2.15.2 or older. The embedded Maschine Project loads fine when using the Maschine 2.16.1 VST3 plugin.

Project is loaded with the Maschine 2.18.1 VST3 plugin, if the Cubase project was saved running the Maschine 2.16 or 2.17 VST3 plugin.

Project is loaded find with the Maschine 2.17.5 VST3 plugin or any earlier version.

Happens with Cubase Pro 11/12/13.

The Support team seems to be unable to replicate the issue, most probably due to not having access to Cubase projects with embedded Maschine projects created with Maschine 2.15 or older.

Comments

• ozon

For reference some additional data from my bug report:

The original version of the Cubase project from 19.08.2017, was saved with Cubase 9.0.20 and Maschine VST2 most probably version 2.6.7 (as 2.6.8 was released on the 17.08.2017 and I didn't update software daily).

Here are my tests to open this same project with various Maschine and Cubase versions:

Maschine 2.17.5 (Release Version)
    - Cubase 11.0.41: Maschine VST3 opens embedded project fine and asks to locate a missing sample
    - Cubase 12.0.70: Maschine VST3 opens embedded project fine and asks to locate a missing sample
    - Cubase 13.0.30: Maschine VST3 opens embedded project fine and asks to locate a missing sample

Maschine 2.18.0 (Release Version)
    - Cubase 11.0.41: Maschine VST3 opens completely empty
    - Cubase 12.0.70: Maschine VST3 opens completely empty
    - Cubase 13.0.30: Maschine VST3 opens completely empty

Maschine 2.18.1 (Release Version)
    - Cubase 11.0.41: Maschine VST3 opens completely empty
    - Cubase 12.0.70: Maschine VST3 opens completely empty
    - Cubase 13.0.30: Maschine VST3 opens completely empty

• ozon
    edited June 8

It would be great if any users who also use Maschine as VST3 within Cubase could try whether they can open Cubase project that were created using Maschine 2.15 or older and check whether the embedded Maschine projects are loaded completely including all Groups and Sounds.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 380 Guru

I'll try. I'm typing this as I go through the process; so I apologize for sounding like "Dear diary…"

I'm on Cubase 13.0.40. I'm opening a project from April 2020. Not sure what version of maschine was in use back then. I currently have Maschine 2.17.5 installed. It looks like this project was made with Cubase 10. I'm on windows 10 with the latest updates.

It opens, but maschine is confused about where my sounds are. I use the option to save project with sounds, but the path has changed because I'm pulling this out of my archive folder. Everything works after pointing it at the right folder (other than cubase complaining that I don't have ozone 8 installed).

I rarely use maschine on my computer now. When I used it as a plugin in Cubase in the past, I'd always create a sub folder in the cubase project folder for "Maschine Project". I'd then save the project to that path with samples. So after updating the path of this project, I'm saving it over the existing file and using the "with samples" option. I've removed the ozone plugins from the master and saved the Cubase project as well. This all matches what you've seen so far.

I updated Native Access so I can update maschine. I then updated maschine and reopened the project. It plays as expected; though seems to be using a lot more CPU and stuttering a bit. If I wanted to actually do anything with the project, I'd have to go change my buffer settings. It wasn't stuttering before.

(maybe an issue with native access still in the background trying to update stuff. I don't think this is related)

Trying another project from February 2020. Cubase loads, but the maschine project is empty. Again, whenever I used maschine as a plugin, I always manually saved the project to a "maschine project" folder. The VST looks like a new project. I loaded the maschine project and it works as expected.

I think I started manually saving the project years ago because trying I kept running into the issue you're describing.

• ozon

@darkwaves thank you very much:

Trying another project from February 2020. Cubase loads, but the maschine project is empty. Again, whenever I used maschine as a plugin, I always manually saved the project to a "maschine project" folder. The VST looks like a new project. I loaded the maschine project and it works as expected.

This is exactly what I am experiencing as well! 2.17 opens the embedded Maschine project, 2.18 loads completely empty and I have to load the Maschine project if I did save it separately.

This has never been an issue before, using Maschine 2 as VST in Cubase since 2013.

• ozon

A heads up to all Cubase users, who are working on projects which have integrated Maschine projects created with Maschine 2.15 or older.

Please do additional tests and report here if you are running into the same issue (the Maschine project is empty). Otherwise this bug isn’t going to be fixed anytime soon.

To put it more dramatically:

By using Maschine 2.18.0 or newer, you will loose all your embedded Maschine projects which were created before October 2022.

• ozon

FYI, this issue was confirmed to be bug and is currently under investigation by the development team.

• ozon

…and fixed with 2.18.3 as can be seen in the release notes:

• ozon
    edited July 17

Big thank you to @Kai_NI and the whole development team!