Komplete Kontrol v3.2.1 no longer supports VST2 Plugins

Leolivier
Leolivier Member Posts: 2 Member
edited 12:00PM in Komplete Kontrol

I'm using Ableton Live 10 v10.1.41.

After upgrading KK v3.2.1, Ableton crash, looking for VST2 Plugins.

I have read that KK v3.x.x no longer support VST2 Plugins. So I reinstalled the previous version I had, v2.9.6.

The problem is :

What do we do with all songs and workflow using VST2 Plugins in the future? At some point, we will need updating at v3.x.x!

Is there a simple way converting existing VST2 plugins to VST3 plugins on an old work?

Thanks

Comments

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 525 Pro
    edited June 7

"I have read that KK v3.x.x no longer support VST2 Plugins."

Wrong.

No idea where you think you read something like that.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 942 Guru

It still supports them.

But because most plugins are getting upgraded to VST3, I've removed most of my VST2 plugins.

Now if only some manufacturers would allow me to say "no" to VST2 plugins at install time, it wouldn't have to be such a manual process.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,882 Expert
    edited June 8

KK V3 does not offer a VST2 version of KK so opening projects that used the VST2 version of KK dont work. That is the issue he is describing. It can still load VST2 plugins (on windows, not on mac unless run in rosetta mode) but to fix projects, just roll back to v2.9 and if you REALLY want to move to V3 of KK you can load VST3 versions of every plugin you use in place. Personally, sticking to v2.9 is just less headache all round.

• Leolivier
    Leolivier Member Posts: 2 Member

This is it Jester! Thanks

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,882 Expert

Yep. It is a clear case of KK V3 being designed purely for a new user experience since so many decisions make it difficult (painful) for anyone who has used KK for any period in the past.

Basically what I would do if I were going to upgrade to V3 (which is highly unlikely given the state it's in at the moment) would be first note down every plugin and every preset in each track I wish to upgrade then of course make a backup of everything including exporting the preset state of each plugin so it can be reloaded into the new version (not always possible tho so helps to also render out the track as an audio file for comparison).

Next (and this is a clear reason I would NEVER bother to load FX within KK to save this kind of headache….) you would have to completely delete the KK instance from the track and reload the VST3 version of KK then reload the plugin. Ideally to bring the project up to today's standard I would load the VST3 version of the plugin. This of course is where you will hit issues tho since it is simple to say "just load the VST3 in place" but of course if you recorded automation, that may not match up anymore with what you had so there will be work to do on that front.

Once all that is completed, save the project as a new version and hope to god if you decide to update to V3 that things keep working as they did.

There really isn't any other way but luckily for Windows users, none of that is really needed if you stick to v2.9 of KK you can finish off everything you need and update only what has to be done when you have time and hopefully in 5 years we may see KK V4 and maybe if people are still using it, we may actually see some User Suggested improvements creep in by that time, unlikely I know but one can certainly dream.

This discussion has been closed.