Kontrol s8 with rane 12 mk2

2»

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,040 mod
    edited June 2022

S3 has one line in so it should work exactly how in the video.

• Jacco
    Jacco Member Posts: 15 Member

I've recently bought 2 Rane Twelves and connected then to my Xone:4D. They work when setting them to Traktor mode. RCA for a line level DVS (plattern - scratch) sync and USB for all the buttons. The TSI file from NI works very good. The only downside in my opinion is that once in a while Traktor is showing a missing a ground wire. I'm not sure why. Anyway ... there is no ground wire to connect.. so ...

About accuracy: I'm not a beat juggler or scratching DJ so for me everything is like working ok except for the missing ground wire message. As I've read in NI and Rane forums: NI isn't responding to the issue and Rane blames NI for it.

I really hope Rane or NI can fix or assist with this issue.

Regards,

Jacco

• Uwe303

Others seem to have the same problem, I don't know if you could use them in midi mode, then you should not have that problem.

• Jacco

Is in Midi mode (USB) only any way of passing the timecode signal to Traktor? It looks like the timecode signal is not being sent to USB (acording to Midioxse), only to RCA connection.

• Uwe303
    edited January 31

In midi mode you don't need the time code signal, it's then handled otherwise with relative midi CC's, at least on my very old controller it works that way, you can scratch and all that, maybe time code is better in some ways but I never used it myself. I will have a look into the manual of the rane MK2. Ohh one thing maybe could that the signal is too hot, so lower the gain of the 4D.

• Uwe303
    edited January 31

How to set up Rane Twelve MK II w/ Traktor Pro 3! (youtube.com)

in this video he talks about setting the volume down after selecting traktor, maybe try this too, he seems to grab the encoder to do this while in select mode!?

RANE TWELVE MKII | Feature Overview (youtube.com)

in this video you can clearly see the volume at 100 percent, so lower it to 80 or 90, you can see how on 6:14

• Owner
    Owner Member Posts: 303 Pro
    edited February 1

Unfortunately, all of this is of no use. I've already tried all the variants. The problems remain, no matter what you try to change. In my opinion, the player would need a firmware update that replaces the timecode signal with a new one. By the way, it only comes via the cinch cable. The USB connection is only for simple MIDI. However, significantly more effort could also be expected from NI here. In combination with the playhead skipping bug, these players are useles so far. A full HID integration would probably be the solution to resolve the issues.

• Uwe303

Please tell this rane, those things cost lots of money so they should fix it, they should be able to output a non distorted time code signal (if this finding is right and I don't doubt it). The more ppl write to rane the better. Really a shame, this is just a firmware update for them.

• Owner

I've been doing that for a long time. several times. unsuccessful.

There are two sides that need to address this. On the one hand, it would be up to Traktor and NI to open up HID outside of the CDJ world. The RANE Twelves MKII would certainly be able to do this. On the other hand, at RANE they would have to realize that it makes no sense to make support so laborious and unapproachable.

To this day, I'm not sure whether my and other users' concerns about this problem ever reached the hardware department or whether it got stuck in the endless support loops. In any case, the Playhead Skipping Bug was confirmed by Traktor / Filed: "Playhead Skipping Bug" (TP-17638). Why they don't communicate with each other remains a mystery to me. I think it would be really easy to solve this problem if they wanted to. It just doesn't make sense to sell a product as Traktor capable when it basically isn't.

• Jacco
    In the meantime I've created a ticket with InMusic/Rane. As I've also tried official Traktor timecode products without any issue (Records with SL1200 players and CD's with CDJ players). Let's see what it will bring. I've also suggested that Rane can tell me where the ground wire should be soldered :smiley:
  • Owner

Thank you for also trying to solve the problem at Rane. Here is my ticket number from my last support request: Rane DJ Twelve MKII - [#inMusic-187254] - Playhead skipping

please write this also to them as well as soon as you are in contact with them. So that they can log the problem with yours into the system.

• Jacco

My ticket with Rane is: #374589 Traktor signal, Traktor Pro reports about missing ground wire

• Jacco

I've added to my Rane ticket that it might be related to [#inMusic-187254]. And I really hope Rane And Native Instruments can work together to make it work for us DJ's.

• Owner
    edited February 13

Thanks. I will also reopen my old ticket in the next few days and ask again what the status is.

Yesterday I tested myself through all possible variants again with Traktor. I noticed three more negative points that shouldn't be the case. Two of them also collide with the bad timecode signal.

- If the platter on the Twelves moves very slowly, the waveform in Traktor still remains stationary and does not move.

- When I stop a track on the Twelves and the turntable has come to a complete standstill, the scope in Traktor still shows confusing information and skips.

- The pitch synchronization of the Twelves is not correct at zero, but rather slightly faster than with a Technics turntable. You can see this clearly in the strobe and the dots on the edge on the plate. When the pitch is in the zero position, the dots still move forward a little, even though they would then have to stand still. Nothing changes even if I recalibrate the pitch according to the instructions.