How to Record Expansion Pack Instruments in Logic Pro X?

Options
natives
natives Member Posts: 10 Member

I am having trouble recording the mk3 in Logic. I haven't had any problems recording Native Instruments drum kits and no trouble recording Logic instuments when using mk3 as a MIDI trigger/ drum pad, but when I try to record a Native Instruments instrument, for example a Massive Organ from an expansion pack when I switch the mk3 into MIDI mode to begin recording the keyboard mode on the mk3 turns off and I am left with a single organ note on pad 1. The instruments play fine/ full scales when I power the mk3 up, but as soon as I switch to MIDI mode to record the instrument into Logic its just the one single note on pad 1. And it seems the only way to record the mk3 in Logic is in MIDI mode.

Also, separately; when I am on an expansion pack and I hit record in Logic it triggers the preset demo song to play and I cannot shut it off. I can play over it and hear the notes I am playing as well but the preset demo song continues to play. Any way to shut it off?

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 10,097 mod
    Options
  • natives
    Options

Yes, I didnt see anything about being able to change the mode/scale. I was asking if it is possible to change scales in MIDI similarly to startup/default mode. ie; blues scale, japanese scale, major scale, minor scale, etc. Or do you have to build the scales manually in MIDI mode rather than just turn a nob to change scales like you can in default/startup mode?

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Ok, I think I understand now.

To be able to play all notes (and not just Pad 1) you need to set the group input to "Off"

Regarding the scales and arp modes, these are only functioning within the Maschine plug-in, it does not affect the MIDI mode. So you could create a template in Controller Editor per scale.

Unfortunately the AU format does not allow these MIDI events to be recuperated in a DAW. It will probably be implemented by Apple some time in the future.

• natives
    Options

Do you think it is possible somehow with BlackHole? As far as recording internal audio etc? Becasue clearly logic can hear the notes as they are showing on the meter. They just dont record using the Machine2 + Logic software. But maybe by somehow routing it thru BlackHole? I would imagine if BlackHole can record internal audio / Spotify / YouTube / etc into Logic that it would be able to record the signal from the mk3 with some audio settings change? I put a few links to BlackHole below if you are unfamiliar. I am not super techy so I cant figure it out. But I am sure you could in 30 seconds.

https://gearspace.com/board/apple-logic-pro/1381541-audio-routing-blackhole-browser-logic-pro.html

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+use+blackhole+to+record+spotify+into+logic+pro

• natives
    Options

I tried to post a couple more Black hole links but this forum restricts new users from posting links. I always thought that that was an ignorant rule for forums…

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@natives It's not the same. MIDI is not audio, it's just notes information, not the actual sound.

• natives
    edited May 3
    Options

Ah okay, I figured because Logic is hearing the correct signal/sound and its showing the signal on the meter it would be recordable. I guess I cannot wrap my head around it. It doesnt really make sense that if I can hear the notes properly playing thru my studio monitors connected to my computer, my computer and logic hear the correct notes, they are showing signal on the Logic meter why cant software like BlackHole capture them?

• natives
    Options

Your assertion is incorrect. Anything that comes out of the mk3 can be recorded directly into logic via third party software, MIDI or not and in any mode. It just took a few hours of noodling. You may want to be more cautious giving incorrect information. If you are unsure, just state that you are unsure. Thanks for trying though.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

There might be third party software working around this lack of feature, what I wrote is still correct and well known. The AU format, Apple's own plug-in format does not allow MIDI generated by a plug-in to be recorded by Logic (or other DAWs using the AU format). And yes I'm pretty sure of this, this has been a constant source of unsatisfaction amongs Logic users for years, and this is probably why we see these third party programs.

FYI the feature was briefly brought in with Logic 10.8 but it created so many issues with MIDI controllers they removed it in 10.8.1.

• natives
    edited May 6
    Options

BlackHole works but I couldn't get rid of a feedback loop crosstalk. This may have been due to my error with BlackHole output routing and due to my lack of understanding and experience with third party software such as BlackHole etc. But I am now onto SoundControl which works perfectly, seamlessly and with zero latency, zero feedback and zero loss of sound quality. Ive already recorded several tracks with it and they come out basically mastered. There is zero issue with recording the Maschine MIDI generated plug-ins into Logic with SoundControl as the audio router. Its just as clean and easy if not cleaner and easier than recording an instrument into Logic via the interface with a 1/4 inch cable. Not sure which issues (if any) you personally or any other users are having? If there are any issues at all at this point I would have to assume that they are strictly pilot error due to my past 3 days experience recording the Maschine mk3 thru SoundControl into Logic Pro X.