File View - Drag and Drop into Serato Sample

Options
The Producer GRiT
The Producer GRiT Member Posts: 8 Member

I just upgraded to the latest version of Maschine. I am also on the latest version of Serato Sample. Before the upgrade I was able to drag and drop files from the File View within Maschine into Serato Sample.

The weird thing is, sometimes is works with certain .wav files and not others. I then close Maschine and reopen, it completely changes which files I can drag and drop. It is so random. Keep in mind ALL the files I am importing are all the same type of .wav files.

I can go into the "Load Audio File" in Serato and load them all with no issues. I like to preview them within the File View and just drag and drop them.

Needless to say this is beyond frustrating.

Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it???

Answers

• John Curry
    John Curry Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Never update maschine right away. It’s always half a step forward, then 5 steps backwards with this new NI company. Always wait as something always breaks with new updates. Don’t expect anfix anytime soon. Go back to 2.17.5

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,862 mod
    edited April 28
    Options

It's a bug I think but the workaround for now would be to drag from the main browser instead - you can import samples from the file browser into the main browser and drag and drop works from there

• The Producer GRiT
    Options

Maybe I don't understand, but when you say drag from the "main browser", what do you mean? Is there another browser outside of the screenshot I provided?

• Kymeia
    Options

The library browser on the other tab in your screenshot, the files menu is intended mainly for people to browse to samples and import them into the library.

That doesn't mean this isn't a bug, it was working in the last version and clearly something is broken but hopefully this will provide a workaround till NI fix it. Note this seems to work better in the standalone than in the plugin where drag and drop seems to be affected some of the time in the main browser too

• The Producer GRiT
    Options

The library tab is only for sounds, VSTs, etc. I am a sample based producer. How do I get to my main computer directory under the library tab? I don't have the ability to search my computer for sounds under that tab unless I am missing something.

• The Producer GRiT
    Options

Basically on my Mac, under "Computer" I have a folder with drum breaks, samples, etc. I am trying to get access to that folder and can't from the Library view, again unless I am missing something.

I might just revert back.

• Kymeia
    Options

The library tab is also for samples, you must surely have some expansions, they are largely made up of samples. The whole point of the files tab is so you can import your own samples into the library, just browse to a folder of samples and click the import button then it will appear in your library browser.

• Kymeia
    edited April 29
    Options

btw I don't have Serato sample but in this video I am dragging a sample from the Library browser into a Granular plugin so similar workflow - this is with the current version (in standalone)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lbfb8r05hicvu1/Screen%20Recording%202024-04-29%20at%2007.41.31.mov?dl=0

• The Producer GRiT
    Options

I don't use expansions. I sample from vinyl, breaks, etc. I then save them in a folder on the root of my Mac. It isn't an expansion. I can't get to that from the Library tab. I have tried everything. I can only access those files from the file view.

I have a workaround right now. I just right click on them and select "find in finder", it brings up another separate window and can pull from there. Not ideal but works for the time.

• Kymeia
    edited April 29
    Options

Expansions are for the Factory view, but you clearly have user samples, you can get those into the library using import. All the ones above in my screenshot are user samples (I don't use the expansions either)

Anyway either way there is a workaround, hopefully NI will fix this soon, they are investigating the bugs at least

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,311 Expert
    edited April 29
    Options

Although a working one, the workaround to import in Maschine hundreds/thousands of samples for using them with drag and drop is not viable for me. Messing up with all the samples in my computer years spent building what must be seen in Maschine browser and what not is not acceptable.

I think The Producer GRiT workaround to use “find in finder/explorer” is eventually way better.

What I fear is that NI seeing we already found workarounds will do as usually…and take all the time they want to fix this, in the order of months/years…

“They have a workaround…no need to hurry”.

Hope to be proved wrong

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,184 Guru
    Options

I don't understand why you're involving Maschine software at all, if you're working in Serato Sample.

Surely you can browse to a folder of samples from Serato Sample itself, or your Mac file browser.

If you can't preview samples in Serato Sample or your Mac file browser, that's not an issue with Maschine.

There are utils such as Waves COSMOS sample finder for that kind of thing.

• Kymeia
    edited April 29
    Options

Whatever works for you. It doesn't mess with your folders though, unlike NKS etc it actually just follows the folder structure and name, treating each folder as a library. As you can see I have quite an extensive sample library including my own Field recordings but it didn't take long to import them (folder by folder to retain the structure)

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,311 Expert
    edited April 29
    Options

Yes, thank you.

I know how it works, but having all the folders of my samples (I tend to organize them quite deeply, therefore my samples “library” is full of folders…and subfolders….and subfolders…☺️) messing up the selection I made during the years of what must appear in Maschine browser and what not is paining me only thinking about it ☺️.

Unless I will make a root folder called “Made because of the bug” where I leave all the structure of my samples “library”. This could be a possibility. But not very practical

But…importing them will in any case lead to a huge waste of space for the duplicates created.

As said…luckily users are smart enough to find workarounds… but there should not even be the need for them… it can happen… but the meter to judge if it is an unlucky mistake or not will be how long it will take to fix what they made wrongly… and if it will be in the order of what they are getting us used to (meaning months), it will be an ulterior prove of the way they work.

Users can also put their time, instead of making music, to import folder by folder and make all the steps to use workarounds… but… is this really what we should expect when buying a product from one of the biggest name in the business?

• The Producer GRiT
    Options

I will also say this, even if you try and drag a sample from the File directly into Maschine (without Serato Sample) it still behaves the same way. Meaning, just dragging the same samples into your "sample" window within Maschine.

I work in technology and understand there are bugs, etc. There is no way around that. But this is BASIC stuff we are trying to do here. If you had a good QA team, they would have determined this was an issue before release. This kind of tells me these software version changes are being released without much testing beforehand.