S61 Mk3 Disappointment, no Maschine integration

Options
denlt1
denlt1 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited April 21 in Komplete Kontrol

Didn't do my homework because I never considered a NI device to no longer work with another. In my case, the S61 Mk3 no longer works side by side with my Maschine Studio. This is a major disappointment and I am not really sure what to do at this point. I use both devices within Maschine DAW when I had my S61 Mk1 and it all worked perfectly together without issue. Now from what I am reading here, the S61 Mk3 was deliberately made not compatible...Why? Native Instruments, is there a fix for this?

Comments

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 262 Pro
    Options

well documented they chose not to have the same machine integration as very few used it and they want the mk 3 to focus more on kontakt....they have said they may add some basic maschine support, but unlikely to ever be as it was on mk2....

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,634 Expert
    Options

All you can really do is wait and hope, a game that we all seem to have to play at some stage, to see if improvements will ever happen. Could be a long eternal wait tho. Still perplexes me tho why they wouldn't' have any kind of integration from KK to their own product tho, especially when they use to have it, even if it wasn't super popular. Does seem very strange to make that decision, get the feeling the resources to work on KK are very tight.

• Simchris
    Options

And no KORE support, bastardos!! (I still pine for my KORE controller sometimes...)

• JesterMgee
    Options

Ah, so by your insinuation, Maschine is a dead product. Guess this would make sense, why spend the time to add integration when you are planning to kill off a product line...

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    edited April 23
    Options

If they kill Maschine, it will finally be the case I will hire a lawyer. And with the fact that I will freeze everything in order to still be able to use Maschine, I will spare on new computers, new Maschine model, new everything NI releases…so the money for the lawyer will be in my pockets.

Still to see if the lawyer I will hire will need to work to pursue them or to defend me cause I killed someone at NI 😏

• MorrisEd
    MorrisEd Member Posts: 82 Helper
    Options

They aren’t killing Maschine. Imo, the MK3 just really feels like a half finished product NI tried to salvage for release. There is a lot of evidence of “placeholders” in the keyboard such as when you label a parameter “Portamento” the MK3 displays always changes it to “Glide” (seriously, ******). I am sure NI would have added Maschine integration if they could have, but I don’t believe they had the resources to do it. Just look at how long any of these updates are taking. It’s been 7 months and they cancelled they haven’t even gotten midi templates done. They’ve also paused all other initiatives while they work on it (such as accessibility features, which are already supposed to have been completed). They either need more or different people for things to change, but I don’t think they would be absurd enough to kill Maschine.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,612 admin
    Options

Folks, we're not killing Maschine. As @Simchris said, we decided to drop the integration because only a small number of users were actually using it. Our product manager explained it all in this post here:

• Simchris
    Options

{{ Maschine is a dead product }}

I don't think it's a dead product, I just think for "most" Maschine users, the actual Machine device should have all the controls to use it and if mounted above the MK3 keyboard makes controls on the keyboard redundant and always truncated and never what every user would want. But then I am focused on Kontakt not Maschine, so my joke about KORE was just being a smartass really. My point was more to the fact "things change." Obviously hard core Maschine support was removed from Komplete Mk3 keyboards.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 254 Newcomer
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • solsta
    solsta Member Posts: 107 Helper
    Options

@denlt1 I hear you, I stuck with my MK2 for this exact reason. I also use it with a studio and a jam. there is honestly nothing better in the world for controlling maschine than those three. I often don't need to touch my computer unless I want to between those three all talking to each other.

When the MK3 came out I was so ready to get one but early on found out that integration was not a priority. I was hoping it was something that could just be included like backwards compatibility or just a dual functionality mode like a maschine controller mode and a regular kk mode.

I wonder how hard it would have been to get something like that implemented. Push a button and it loads up Maschine functionality. Maybe some kind of advanced midi mapping? MK2 is here and functional I wish there was a way to get that functionality up to an MK3 but from what I read, it would have taken up more resources than were available at the time.

Somebody out there in the internet may surprise us, it is a MIDI controller after alll. I've seen some pretty berserk mappings for traktor onto existing NI hardware so the possibility is there

• Simchris
    Options

I could be wrong, but since the Mk2 is a "head unit" for software, much easier to have the code running for Maschine on the PC sideways from the actual apps. On the MK3 where the goal is to run stuff more "locally" there is finite "local" memory and ROM space, and if so few were actually using Maschine on the Mk2, it made total sense to "save" the extra local resources for other stuff yet to be implemented. That is how I kinda read that. But kinda moot point now.

• JesterMgee
    Options

Imo, the MK3 just really feels like a half finished product NI tried to salvage for release. There is a lot of evidence of “placeholders” in the keyboard such as when you label a parameter “Portamento” the MK3 displays always changes it to “Glide” 

Nope, that is likely a deliberate decision. There has always been a mechanism to auto resolve longer control names to shorter abbreviated names and back on the MK1, there were only 8 characters available for labels so longer words were exchanged or shortened. Like "High Pass Filter" will just be HPF, "Modulation" would just be "Mod". "Portamento" should simply be shortened to "Porta", that is how I label it since most plugins and synths will either shorten it to this or Glide.

Just for the record, my statement was kind of a poor joke based off another poor joke since it seems otherwise silly to drop support between a companies own products and makes more sense if Maschine WAS planned to be dropped to not waste time or resources on adding support (I mean, it really hasn't been developed much in 5 years....) But you then also have accessibility not even being important enough to include for the first year of release because the user base is likely a minority, but heavily reliant so seems to me, unless EVERYONE uses a feature it's up for debate if it's even important to put resources into

I would disagree as I think for some users, the controller is NOT mounted above the keyboard and is likely to the side and while you may have some point, it really just kicks sand in the face of a user who has been happy in how they have been working, excited to grab the latest "improved" version of the keyboard or holding out only to find it now has lost integration. Some people who maybe only lightly use these features won't really be bothered, but others that have invested a lot of time in a certain way of working will be frustrated when that is changed, without proper reason or any actual notice and expecting users to trawl through a forum to try and find this info is unreasonable to expect and it's not like there is now a splash statement on the product page "Now WITHOUT Maschine Support!"

I'm not even a Maschine user myself really, it's a toy I play with sometimes so it doesn't affect me, but I can sure as hell understand the POV of someone who it does affect especially if they have just spent some hard earned money on something that now doesn't do what they have known it always was able to. Not everyone is in a position to have such disposable income and it's kind of disrespectful IMO to shrug off a user because they didn't know in this case, he may be very well and understandably upset!

• Simchris
    edited April 24
    Options

I'm just glad I still have all my fingers. :) peace out.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 631 Pro
    Options

I'm with you on that. At least KK MK1 was EOL'd when a replacement came out. Kore 2 just got yanked. I still have bad dreams about Kore 2 and would love to figure out how to use mine (I still have TWO Kore 2controllers.) in SOME way like it was created for.

• raist1er
    raist1er Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Just got a S61 MK3 for a birthday present, was one of the "few" maschine/keyboard users. Good thing I can still return it