Why is Native Access spending over 10 minutes being busy before becoming usable?

Options
tempsperdu
tempsperdu Member Posts: 376 Pro

OK this problem exists in NA 2, Kontakt 7, Komplete Kontrol and Maschine.

In the case of NA2, the busy GIF is active for over 10 minutes before the programme is becoming usable.

Process Monitor reveals that what is happening is that the NTK Daemon is scanning over and over my VST 3 folder and in the case of some plugins, Blue Cat, UA, Flux, though there are others, repeatedly and acknowledging their attributes.

Why???

In most cases, NA2 has no use for these files?

(Windows 10)

Answers

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,157 Guru
    Options

I just timed Native Access here and it took 4 seconds to open. I've got hundreds of VSTs.

Now Maschine on the other hand takes about 6 minutes if I let it scan. Usually though I just press Esc.

• tempsperdu
    Options

Yes, that doesn't exactly answer the question in any way, does it?

ESC often doesn't work for me and the whole issue should not be occurring in the first place.

• PK The DJ
    Options

It's not exactly a straightforward question to answer though, as no one else has your setup. Yes we have NA 2 installed, and we have some plugins, but there the similarity ends.

You've not given details on your hardware, so maybe you have an old slow computer. Maybe your plugins are installed on a slow drive.

I've not know Native Access to scan plugins at all. As you say, it shouldn't need to.

I believe there are plans afoot to speed up the scanning, but it would be best if it didn't do it at all on startup. IMO it should keep a database of plugins and use that, unless the user requests a rescan.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 497 Pro
    Options

I had exactly the same problem this morning at about the same time. I ended up rebooting my PC and it cleared up immediately. I think there was some weird problem happening with the connection to NI.

• tempsperdu
    Options

PK The DJ

It's not exactly a straightforward question to answer though, as no one else has your setup. Yes we have NA 2 installed, and we have some plugins, but there the similarity ends.

Surely the relevant question here is why is NA2/ NTK Daemon scanning my VST3 folder at all?

Also, why does this not appear to be the case for everyone?

These issues with NI software have been going on for months in some cases, and I have broached the subject almost everywhere I can now about the four major NI products affected to no useful response and a lot of ignoring.

Whilst there might be some anomaly with my set-up, I am clueless as to what it might be.

It would be prudent if someone on the production team could actually for once get involved and try to work out what might be going on.

I have no problems with non NI software, and these same issues have plagued two different computers.

It is not helpful for users to say they don't experience issues, even if that is well-intentioned, as it just says they don't have issues. It's more pertinent for those that have similar issues to make it known, and maybe we can find some commonality.

• PK The DJ
    Options

It is not helpful for users to say they don't experience issues

I respectfully disagree, because it clarifies that the issue is not caused by the software.

• tempsperdu
    Options

How? It is the software that is scanning my VST 3 folders, not hardware. If it is somehow an interaction between the hardware or the software environment (Windows) then that needs to be established how and why.

I am well aware some don't have the same issues, just as well as I am aware that some have similar issues.

You yourself have similar issues with Maschine...is that not the software?

The biggest problem here is NI's lack of support for users. I have been posting about these issues here, Centrecode, Support, for months and months to no real result. NI should have been able to tell me it was probably scanning my VST3 folders and why. They didn't, I only found out because someone kindly introduced me to Process Monitor.

• PK The DJ
    edited April 14
    Options

If it was the software (Native Access) then everyone would be encountering the same issue. I proved that's not the case by running NA2 before I commented.

For me, NA has NEVER scanned for plugins. I even ran process monitor and tried again. I saw nothing.

Actually I don't have "similar issues" with Maschine because as I said, I hit Esc and bypass the scan.

If you want to find an anomaly with your setup then you'll need to provide detailed information on your setup.

• tempsperdu
    edited April 14
    Options

You are proving that NA2 does not do this type of scanning on your computer, but it is NA2/NTK Daemon that is doing it on mine.

Why it is doing it on mine and not yours is the question.

What detailed information on my set-up do you think will indicate anything?

It is Windows 10 Dual Xeon E5 2650 v2, 48GB DDR3 RAM, Quadro K4200, 750GB SCSI SSD, 3 x 3TB SCSI HD

Regarding Maschine, the rescanning it does has been a problem for years and has been reported to them countless times, but they have done nothing to remedy the situation. AFAIK, it is only NI software that suffers from this type of needless irritant. Whilst my set-up also suffers from this, prior to that it can spend over 5 minutes saying awaiting product scan whilst it endlessly scans my VST folder, something it again does if there is a Kontakt instrument in the project file and sometimes then again when opening up the GUI resulting then in over 10 minute load times.