Psytrance style kick and bass

Options

Comments

• mkonovalov
    mkonovalov Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Spectralayers is good for layering kicks !

• bigmikeboston
    bigmikeboston Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Have you tried layering a reversed kick over a forward kick and playing with a highpass on one and low pass on the other?

• Schmapps1
    Schmapps1 Member Posts: 135 Pro
    Options

Mostly here for the exciting mystery draw! But I will second TRK-01 as a nice sounding engine.

Honestly, with the easy availability of dedicated sample packs I don’t find myself sound designing kicks hardly at all. But I guess that’s part of the fun for some

• Allang123
    Allang123 Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Hi: more a philosophical idea than a specific one but how about build in some randomness to your search? Layer something crazy onto another sound, Reverse, pitch, effects etc. If it’s wrong or makes no sense, try it and listen to it. Twist some knobs with your mouse, with eyes closed. Lots of good music comes from accidents. Not sure the bass tone will totally make or break the track?

• toosliq
    toosliq Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I am currently exploring what psytrance is...

• David Stackhouse
    David Stackhouse Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Honestly, I'd never even heard of "psytrance" until this post, but good luck with your inquiry

• Dropdbob
    Dropdbob Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

While I have downloaded and used NI VSTs I don’t have any hardware from same. Good stuff.

• Shadowin
    Shadowin Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Interesting... an NI Kick and Bass plugin by chance?

• SuperTRev
    SuperTRev Member Posts: 108 Member
    Options

For this genre, it is bass heavy and fast, so there isn't much space in between the bass. That means you probably want a decent click on your kick. That will cut through the low end, pushing it to the front of the stereo image, making it the leader of everything else. Giving the brain a consistent articulate rhythm, making it pump better. You can do this in many ways; especially just choosing clicky bass kicks.

You can also use effects to modify it. One I can think of is maybe strong resonance on a filter, up to the point you can hear it (self oscillates).

Machine does have a drum synthesizer, you probably didn't know that.

• take7daily
    take7daily Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
    Options

I'm not much into using synthes to make trance music. The Maschine cost too much for my blood and I generally use keyboards and live guitar/bass to make my music on PT. I do have a SR18 and a Boss RC-505mkII and I guess my M-Audio Oxy Pro 25 might count as a music processor, but I don't like beat music. If someone handed me a Maschine, I might try to incorporate it.

• Tulio Guilherme Grunwald
    Tulio Guilherme Grunwald Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I'm a Forest psytrance producer and usually make my basses on reaktor factory library and massive.

Its old but very effective!

For the kicks I prefer to use samples and shape it, process to mu taste, it's more fast this way for me

• Lowkus
    Lowkus Member Posts: 30 Helper
    edited April 22
    Options

Sometimes I find interesting stuff in the old Reaktor ensembles. For the sake of the contest and to sate my own curiosity I loaded a psytrance track on YouTube and while listening to the music I loaded the "Limelite" ensemble in Reaktor. I was able to dial in really good drums to fit the music I was hearing. The ensemble gives control over pitch, filter, envelope, and other aspects of the drums, so the drums could be made to fit into the music, and though Limelite has a sequencer it also includes key triggered individual drum hits so it can be used in a DAW pretty easily. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can take it further by opening the ensemble architecture and going into the modules such as "Engine -> Kick -> Sampler" where if you press F6 on your keyboard you'll see the sample editor, then you can replace the default drum samples with your own custom drum WAV's to make the output into a personalized result. There might be other ensembles in the user library that also allow WAV manipulation and could help accomplish similar things.

• EP.
    EP. Member Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Are there expansion packs for just certain plugins? Like can I get one specifically for masive?

thx

• EP.
    EP. Member Posts: 47 Member
    Options

*Or does each pack download sounds in different instruments?

• Johnny555
    Johnny555 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Yeah the Trk-1 had some really good kicks and bass.. I also have some bass presets in massive that I like to use as well