how do I record 'kontakt player' Jacon Collier's audience Choir into my Ableton DAW?

Options
RonaldJD
RonaldJD Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Can someone guide me to a video how this is done or mention the steps to do so? I see no record button in the kontakt player app. so am stuck and not sure what am missing or doing wrong? Thanks folks.

Best Answers

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,083 mod
    Options

Hello,

you load the instrument into an instrument track, then you arm that track to record midi there or paint in some midi notes on that instrument track. Like with any other instrument within ableton.

• A_K_F
    A_K_F Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

You drop Kontakt player as a plug-in instrument into a MIDI track in Ableton. Then you hit the Record button in Ableton.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 469 Pro
    edited April 10 Answer ✓
    Options

1) Assuming you have Audience Choir loaded in Native Access, if not do so.....

2) From within Ableton Drop Kontakt7 plugin into an empty MIDI track

3) That will bring up Kontakt so you can select the Audience Choir

4) Arm the track and record as normal.

• RonaldJD
    RonaldJD Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thank you guys. I am really new to all this. Here's what I did.

I have my NI Kontakt 7 in the plugins inside the DAW (Ableton Live 11). I armed the midi track with Kontakt7 plugin...I pressed record BUT nothing is recording.. the audio signal indicators are flickering in the DAW and the app but nothing recorded :( I even pressed the virtual keyboards that are highlighted in three different colours in the app. I can hear the choir audio in myheadphones (its so beautiful, hats off to NI and Jacob Collier...I love it). but nothing being recorded in the midi track.

Is there supposed to be another record button inside the Kontakt 7 popup app too, which needs to be right next to the play button below the vowel morph pad? I see play, loop and the playback speed buttons only...What am i still doing wrong? Pls guide me.....Thanks.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,873 mod
    edited April 12 Answer ✓
    Options

Maybe this is a problem related to the basic use of a DAW ?

As far as I know , and I am a rather noob at DAWs too, then you can record midi input into a DAW , but you probably also record the playback in the DAW of the already recorded Midi ! Did you drop a midi file into the DAW and are you playing the midi track while you record (having assigned the Kontakt with the choir as an intrument) ?

Maybe you need to check out :

Ableton Reference Manual , Learn Live Ableton , and later : Tutorials Ableton ?

Ableton : Using VST plug-ins on Windows , N.I. How to Insert Native Instruments Plug-ins in Ableton Live

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 469 Pro
    edited April 13
    Options

You need to go into preferences in Ableton and select Options->Preferences and select the Audio tab. Check your Driver Type and Audio Output Device entrees because they're probably pointing to your internal sound card rather than the audio interface you're using for Ableton and your speakers. You can easily check if you have audio output correctly to your speakers by pressing the Test Tone button to make sure you're getting audio to the correct interface.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,083 mod
    edited April 14 Answer ✓
    Options

You have to arm that track you want to record midi onto, and press then record, normally if you select a track in ableton it gets armed automatically (I guess cause every other DAW I know behaves like that by default), it's a rectangle with a dot inside, if I remember correctly and if armed it gets red.