Can I stop Native Access from creating desktop shortcuts

Options
Nils
Nils Member Posts: 12 Member

I never use the standalone apps of the NI instruments and I prefer to have a clean desktop. I'd be OK with desktop shortcuts being created on new installations but I don't want them to be re-created on updates.

The most preferable solution would be if Native Access would allow me to set a path were shortcuts can be placed. But it would also be totally fine if I could just switch off shortcut creation.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,373 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately there is no such option.

But, you can simply delete them, is not a big deal… :-)

• Ghost_On_Da_Maschine
    Ghost_On_Da_Maschine Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

It's annoying and unnecessary that makes it a big enough deal especially since it will recreate them with every update.

Should be an option to disable their creation.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,373 mod
    Options

Maybe for you its annoying and unnecessary… For the most people is helpful and absolutely necessary. Me too, i love to see them on my desktop instead of search them every time in the start menu.

Still, you are correct, it should be an option to disable shortcuts, i agree. But…. get on the line! We are struggling with far more important issues and we beg NI since long time to do something for those. For example option to disable AAC when we only use VST, or the option to disable VST2 installation if we only use VST3, or the option to disable installation of lots of drivers that we don't use (because we do not have the hardware) etc etc. Don't you think that those are far more important issues than a simple shortcut?

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 491 Pro
    Options

That's okay. This is whiney baby central…he's just trying to fit in.

• Nils
    Options

OK, I was hoping that there might be a configuration file (like .ini or whatever you call that on windows).

• Nils
    Options

It is not a big deal. Nobody said that this is any more than a convenience issue. I'd be nice if you could deactivate it and it would be especially nice, if you could even set a path instead (because I don't delete the icons but keep them filed in a sub folder of my desktop).

Nobody doubts, that there are far more pressing issues. However, I don't agree with the notion, that you can't put it on the agenda unless it makes the top of the list.

Look at what you've wrote: If you already adding more options to Native Access anyway, it might be very easy to do one more while you're already at it, instead of waiting half a year and then touch the same piece of code again.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,797 mod
    Options

You should use the standalones at least after installing new content as generally it is advised by NI to update content databases in the standalone before opening the plugin

• Nils
    Options

Thanks a lot for the advice. I haven't considered that.

But it's not necessary after update too, or is it?

• Kymeia
    edited March 30
    Options

Not usually unless it includes new content

However for major updates such as from Komplete Kontrol 2 to 3 definitely- this is one of the reasons you see people asking why their content has disappeared after an update when they have just opened the plugin but not allowed the standalone to update first

• Kymeia
    Options

Also for Kontakt you can only do thinks like batch resave in the standalones, and generally I would always prefer to use the standalones of Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol for content creation and management. Less chance of the DAW getting in the way, I prefer to use the plugin versions just for music production.

• Nils
    Options

I understand that it makes sense to use the standalone apps when you create and manage patches. I haven't considered that because sadly, I hardly do it anymore.

I still manage to take some time for patch creation on my hardware, every once in a while. But with all the software I have, I mostly just adjust/create patches in-time when I'm producing music.