Options
esc4p3
esc4p3 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hi there. Hoping someone can help.

Windows 11, Intel based laptop

Roland Fantom 08 synth

DAW - Reaper

Komplete Ultimate

In Komplete Kontrol, I can map/midi-learn some of the assignable knobs and sliders on my Fantom. This works fine and the midi mappings 'stick' once mapped. More than happy with this.

However this is not the case with Kontakt 7.

It seems like the mappings only survive whilst the instrument is open. For instance I open Glaze, midi-learn CC 21 to CC28 to the 8 main controls in Glaze and this works fine. I then close Glaze and open Hybrid Keys (doesn't matter which instrument) and the 8 knobs are forgotten. I midi-learn them again and all is fine for that session but again they are forgotten as soon as I close that instrument.

Is there a way to preserve those mappings either for each instrument or globally?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@esc4p3 In Kontakt MIDI learn is per instrument, you can't set global MIDI assignments. You need to stick to the Komplete Kontrol plug-in and load your Kontakt libraries there.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

@esc4p3 In Kontakt MIDI learn is per instrument, you can't set global MIDI assignments. You need to stick to the Komplete Kontrol plug-in and load your Kontakt libraries there.

• esc4p3
    Options

Thanks for the answer @Jeremy_NI

It is as I suspected, but it's a shame. I can't even save one lot of midi-learn to one instrument?

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo Member Posts: 197 Advisor
    edited March 25
    Options

@Jeremy_NI @Matthew_NI @Simon_NI

That’s a shame.

I asked for this in a thread a few days ago.

To be honest, Kontakt integration with the S series mk3 is pretty pointless for me if I can’t get the same ease of use that I get when opening it through Komplete Kontrol.

Not asking for a ton of templates for various instruments, I just want to be able to globally assign any midi controller to the 8 knobs that the S series mk3 use, just like I can in the Komplete Kontrol software.

Otherwise, while Kontakt integration is a great idea, for most things, I’ll get a much better quality of life experience by still opening it in Komplete Kontrol.

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 335 Advisor
    Options

honestly there is many many things that are not being recalled in Maschine lately and the list is huge

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 282 Pro
    edited March 26
    Options

Never progressed beyond Kontakt 5 and know less than nothing about Komplete etc but am somewhat baffled.

Why can't you just make your "Midi Learn" changes then "save as..." the instrument under a slightly different name? (I've been doing it for years)

Or you can save up to 16 instruments in one instance of Kontakt as a multi.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Ojustaboo Regarding the MIDI learn in Kontakt library, I doubt it will be feasible, there are so many different libraries with different MIDI implementation for NI libraries and also third party. If it's possible within Komplete Kontrol thanks to the NKS & NKS2 protocol.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@esc4p3 You can do that by saving a preset as user instrument that could be like an "initial preset", but then it'll be gone when you load a factory preset.

• esc4p3
    Options

Thanks @stephen24 - I am a really basic user of Kontakt 7 and did not know about "save as". I tried it last night and it works perfectly, saved Glaze and Hybrid Keys as slightly different names and the MIDI-learning is retained. Simple! Thanks again for the tip, much appreciated.

• Ojustaboo
    Options

I saved it as exactly the same name, and it worked perfectly too

File - Save as- Instrument #1 - and on the Save Instrument window, I selected Glaze

This works perfectly and doesn't matter if I do it using stand alone Kontakt or stand alone Kontakt within my DAW (Studio One) it remembers the MIDI learning for both.

Obviously I need to use Midi Learn as soon as I first open each instrument so that I'm not overwriting after I've played with it.

@Jeremy_NI While I appreciate there's a ton of 3rd party libraries for Kontakt, while the midi learn is easy to get around as @stephen24 and @esc4p3 described above, it would still be nice to have Kontakt mimic whats on the Komplete Kontrol S mk3 series. Really whats needed is the "Plugin" view that's in Komplete Kontrol so that we can easily select different pages from within Kontakt (presuming there isn't that view already and I've simply missed it).

Also from within Komplete Kontrol, what ever 8 knobs I used midi learn on when setting up Glaze (as described above), with Komplete kontrol, whatever page I select, the MIDI learn still works.

What I mean is, using Glaze as an example,

The 8 buttons I've used MIDI Learn for in Komplete Kontrol control, so that my controllers first 8 buttons control exactly the same thing as my S88 MK3 (in this example, Balance, Cutoff, Flair, Saturation etc), in plugin view, if I select Sequencer/pitch/vel, those 8 buttons will now control "Active, Rate, Swing, First Step, Layer, Steps, Direction, gate". I don't have to re do midi learn .

Basically it would be nice to mirror whats on the S88 mk3 screen in Kontakt.

• MorrisEd
    MorrisEd Member Posts: 68 Helper
    Options

Say that part again about Kontakt integration being useless without a similar level of midi control as KK, which it used to have via the midi templates on the KK MK2, which were removed on the MK3 for….”reasons.”

• Ojustaboo
    Options

I wonder what happens when there’s updates, I suspect we will have to re-do the midi learn, mind you now we know how it works, it only takes 30 secs.,