Has Anyone Figured out S61 MK3's Driver and update issue with windows?

Options
Bruno Browning
Bruno Browning Member Posts: 14 Member

Brand new S61 MK3 arrived yesterday and my excitement was quickly squashed once I realized that there was an issue with the drivers and update not installing with Windows.

After a day of going over every scrap of info I could find on the issue and trying the possible solutions I was left with the all to familiar feeling of being screwed once again by NI. I'm sure this is a Windows issue but even if that's the case this should have been sorted before NI sold the first MK3. Like a dumb ass I sold my MK2 before my MK3 was delivered and now I only have a stupid KK S25 to work with because this expensive MK3 is basically a paper weight.

I've submitted a support ticket to NI but we all know that's a waste of time and if you need more proof of that they sent me a reply telling me to download the drivers and update and basically all the things that were not working in the first place.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? Any help would be appreciated.....I think I may have hit my limit with NI at this point.

Thanks

Comments

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,235 mod
    Options

What's the problem you're having exactly? Can you give us a description of how far you've got, and any error messages you get, along with the Windows version.

The MK3 does work on Windows, I have the same model and once I figured out I needed to install the Hardware service from Native Access before it did anything it worked perfectly.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 492 Pro
    Options

Apparently your limit is pretty limited. It took me less than a minute to google this:

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo Member Posts: 202 Advisor
    Options

Is your windows up to date?

• Bruno Browning
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I did the normal set up through Native Access and for some reason it would not update. Since it was not able to update the 61 the screen was stuck on "Update firmware" and I could go no further. There are actually quite a few people having the same issue and after numerous attempts of the two or three solutions I still wasn't able to update the 61.

I was pretty sure that the problem was with Windows and I guess the thing that got me mad was after I sent in a NI Support ticket they just sent me info on how to set up the keyboard by using NI Access which I had already done and told them that I had. Just years of NI Support headaches came to a boil.

I did get it to work by installing the Kontakt and the 61 on my Macbook Pro and then disconnecting it from my Mac and connecting it to my Windows machine. I pulled up KK and it worked immediately without any hiccups. I honestly didn't think that updating it on a Mac would work allow it to work on a Windows machine fully updated but it did.

For those that don't have a Mac and are having this problem I don't know what the answer is but this worked for me.

Thanks once again for your reply.

• Bruno Browning
    Options

Yes it is and thanks for the reply. The problem I'm having is happening to quite a few people....updating the 61 just doesn't happen. The 61 is stuck on the "Update Firmware" screen and therefor useless.

I did get it to work by installing Kontakt and the 61 on my Macbook Pro and then disconnecting it from my Mac and connecting it to my Windows machine. After connecting to my Windows machine I pulled up KK and it worked immediately without any hiccups. I honestly didn't think that updating it on a Mac would work allow it to work on a Windows machine fully updated but it did.

Thanks for you reply.

• Bruno Browning
    Options

Wow.....why didn't I think of that? Oh that's right I did maybe you didn't see this part of my post: 

"After a day of going over every scrap of info I could find on the issue and trying the possible solutions I was left with the all to familiar feeling of being screwed once again by NI..."

So yes I spent a day searching for alternate ways to make this work and I'm in no way am the only one this has been a problem for.

As far as my limit that is in reference to the headaches that everyone runs into when trying to get support from NI. After spending thousands and thousands of dollars on gear you get a little aggravated when the only reply you get from NI support is the same stupid thing that you found online. Clearly not unlike yourself NI Support didn't read the complete support ticket or they would have read that it was more than a basic set up question.

Thanks for being so helpful you really added to the conversation.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 492 Pro
    Options

I'm glad you got your system working. Not everyone has problems with getting things setup and working. Like you I got my S88 MK3 at the end of January, but while waiting for it to show up I read all the info I could find on how it gets setup and where people had experienced problems so that once I received my unit all of my NI components were up to date and working as they should work including Native Access, Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol on my PC. When the unit arrived I went through the process defined by NI and amazingly enough everything worked perfectly first time through and continues to work flawlessly as I add new libraries and record projects.

So the question is, what did I do different than you? NI isn't in control of your equipment or your configuration. I don't have a Mac I can depend on to install something. I have to depend on me. So I manage my environment and don't blame anyone else for any deficiencies in my understanding or my setup in my home.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,235 mod
    Options

It might be that there was a problem with the USB chipset/implementation/drivers. I know that was a problem when the MK3 keyboards first came out. The advice at that time was "try the upgrade on a Mac" which was probably a bit expensive if you didn't already have a Mac!

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 613 Pro
    Options

He actually IS one of the MOST HELPFUL people on this forum. And he really wasn't wrong. A simple google search acutally did uncover info that didn't seem to be a part of your research.

So maybe a "oops, I missed that" would have been more appropriate than accusing him of not adding any input of value.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,837 mod
    Options

@Bruno Browning My colleagues got back to you on Monday to a request you submitted during the weekend and you didn't get back to them. It's totally normal to send the troubleshooting guide that works for most cases. If it didn't work for you could simply get back to my colleagues.

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 257 Pro
    Options

Late to party — main 'fix' for updating on Windows here, was using proper power supply via a powered USB hub, new USB cable rated for USB4 going to PC for data. Using USB3 (blue) port vs USB2 (slowpoke) port intended for keyboard/mouse.

Ironically, some Mac folk have had issues with the macOS 14.4 update borking some USB connectivity - including iLok; but fixed with latest 14.4.1