How do you setup your orchestra?

Options

Comments

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 209 Advisor
    Options

I always feel that Orchestral music require many voices. Even sampled voices will sound good. A collision of various instruments so my tendency is to use a VST.

• anzbert
    anzbert Member Posts: 40 Helper
    Options

You could use physical modelling VSTs instead, which require a lot less sample loading and RAM. I think NI only has Prism. But there are a lot of others out there.

What I found useful to make wind and string instruments more realistic is a breath controller. I built one with a pressure sensor and an Arduino. But there are commercial ones out there. It's surprisingly intuitive.

• vatsalmandaliya24
    vatsalmandaliya24 Member Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Hello,

I usually use the Orchestral Snapshots of the Native Instruments Session Strings Pro 2. I use Basses and Chellos for Stecato / Spicato Sections and Violins for Legato Sections. I've the Komplete 14 Ultimate and i got allmost everything for the genres i'm working for. I use that on my Macbook Pro 13inch 2020.

• vatsalmandaliya24
    vatsalmandaliya24 Member Posts: 27 Member
    Options

BTW, i forgot to tell, I usually use my Komplete 14 Ultimate's Libraries on an external SSD because my Macbook Pro has only 8gb RAM and 256gb of SSD!

• malkhouly
    malkhouly Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Looking forward to it

• psyh0x
    psyh0x Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

thanks good luck!

• Fredz
    Fredz Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

I hope my new Mac Studio M2 Max woth 96gb ram will do the most of the work :) Also using Samsung T9 fast SSDs.

Thanks, good luck everyone!

• Nayah9
    Nayah9 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Even the most extensive orchestral template won't reach 64GB, so that's how much RAM I recommend.

Of course, use only NVMe SSDs if you can and at minimum use SATA SSDs. Do NOT use HDDs for anything in your system. Just don't. I mean it. DON'T!

If your system still struggles with opening/running your project, then you need a CPU upgrade. For serious music production tasks, I recommend a modern CPU with a minimum of 20 threads.

That's it, you should be all set!

• Chrisland
    Chrisland Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Pan and reverb

• Zemmo
    Zemmo Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Mac pro 5.1,nvme 2tb,128gb ram,komplete kontrol,maschine mikro,audio 2,ultimate 14….winner…..

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,968 Guru
    Options

I started setting up any kind of mix (including orchestra) by simply combining panning, reverb, and mid/side settings.

Here is how I do it:

For background instruments and sounds, I would increase the side volume and decrease the mid volume, and I would use a bit more reverb and panning for them to make more space for more upfront-y instruments.

For main instruments (piano, solo violin or solo flute etc.) I would either balance the mid/side volume equally or simply increase the mid volume and decrease the side volume, depends on the frequency and the color of the main instrument.

Of course, I would pan these more important and once again, upfront-y instruments, but not as much...

For percussive instruments, I would practicaly delete the side volume and completly increase the mid volume, to grab attention.

For panning and reverb-ing the percussion, it depends...just like for the main instruments.

• stancualbertstefan
    stancualbertstefan Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Where for the big surprise reveal

• Bats8043
    Bats8043 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Im facing the same issue

• owdez
    owdez Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Offloading some of the processing to a networked PC can indeed be a good idea to ease the load on your main machine. Setting up a dedicated machine, like a Mac Mini, and utilizing OSC (Open Sound Control) for communication between the machines can be a stable solution. Make sure both machines are connected via a stable network and consider optimizing your template project by freezing tracks or using track presets to reduce loading times in Live.

• StianDH
    StianDH Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

You should purge all samples from every instance of Kontakt in your template. That way the samples are not loaded into your project until you actually need them.