Yet more woes with Native Access 3.9.1

Options
tempsperdu
tempsperdu Member Posts: 359 Pro
edited March 19 in Native Access

OK, as I do occasionally, I opened NA2 to see if there were any updates pending.

There were three.

I tried to update the first, nothing happened.

The busy GIF was rather busy because he was going like the clappers for approx 10 minutes.

After this, I pressed update again and it told me it could not download.

Strange, I've no problems downloading to / from anywhere else.

So try it again on the off chance to get the same response.

So I close NA2 and restart it.

NA2 starts to open up but now asks me to login.

I do, and it brings me back to a request again to log in which I attempt to the same result,

and one more time, and it's obviously been very, very influenced by Groundhog Day.

I give up.

No doubt if I go to the error page I was sent to days ago it will tell me to uninstall NA2 and the NTK Daemon, reboot, reinstall and try again as it did then.

Seriously, how can anything be released in this state and why??????????

Please can we also return to the updates showing their actual size and not the installation size, which is surely not as relevant... why make people think they might be facing a 26 GB download? I fail to see sense in that.

(Win 10 Pro btw)

Comments

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 468 Pro
    edited March 19
    Options

They obviously didn't release it in that state as it's working just fine for most of us. Clearly you have a configuration problem on your side. Especially if you're trying to download and install VST3 updates on NA 2 rather than NA 3.

And the install size may not be AS relevant, but it is relevant given the fact if you don't have that much storage available on the target download location, the download will fail.

• tempsperdu
    edited March 19
    Options

It is not working for more than me as a glance around the forums will attest.

AFAIK the current NA is still referred to as NA2 even though as the header indicates it is 3.9.1

The update size is very relevant as you want to know how long the update might take. Often they are far less than 500mb, and they used to be indicated as such. I can see no advantage in changing that, the actual installation size is clearly indicated in NA so it's not unavailable.

None of the d/l issues being due to any lack of space are unlikely given I've got over 9 TB of space, a lot of which is free.

I really do not understand the 'mentality' of people who have no problems with something trying to use that as an arbiter to somehow dispel problems others are having.

I have problems with most NA products, Machine, Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt, and NA. These have been endlessly reported to no result and very little attention.

It may be due to the way NA handles plugins and if one has a lot, problems ensue, but then Reaper, Bitwig, MuLab, Freestyle, Harrison Mixbus 32 and Waveform Free or any of the plugins I have are pretty much unproblematic. Most of the above have very slow load times with Kontakt 7 as has been frequently reported to no avail.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 468 Pro
    edited March 19
    Options

I'm not dispelling your problems. I'm hoping to direct your attention to how to avoid and correct problems proactively hopefully. Yes, you do get a lot of folks on here talking about the problems they're having, but by and large the largest of the NI community which are NOT having problems don't come on here to tell everyone that everything is working great. It's the squeaky wheel effect and it's not confined to NI but to every new technology that hits the streets. But the only way you can ever start with solving a problem is to consider whose problem it is. I'll be honest and tell you that my first indication of where the problem might lie is in the way you referred to occasionally checking NA. What's occasionally? Every week? Every month? For myself and quite a few other folks it's a daily process (sometimes more than once a day) to keep up with what versions are out there and what's been fixed/changed in them because Native Access is a critical app for me due to my dependence on the tools it manages. I also use it just for maintaining the performance of these libraries by managing their placement among my storage devices, which is just standard good practice.

But the real question for you is, how do you explain the difference in your experience and mine if we have exactly the same software on the same OS? That's where you start, not assuming everyone is having the same problems and somehow overnight your software got magically corrupted by NI.

I know there are still problems in some of the hardware and software. I've discovered them and had them confirmed by NI and have a rough roadmap for when they're likely to address them. But everything I have is the most current (hardware and software) including my S88 MK3 keyboard. And yet it all functions well enough that I can use them in my daily efforts which is what's important.

I don't know about bitwig, freestyle or any of the others you mentioned. I can tell you my NI library has about 200 entries of NKS supported plugins and probably another 100 or so from other vendors such as 8DIO, Spitfire and so forth. And a large part of what I have are some of the more complex multilayered cinematic libraries that are VERY demanding and complex, yet all perform perfectly fine.

• tempsperdu
    edited March 19
    Options

DunedinDragon

I'll be honest and tell you that my first indication of where the problem might lie is in the way you referred to occasionally checking NA. What's occasionally? Every week? Every month? For myself and quite a few other folks it's a daily process (sometimes more than once a day) to keep up with what versions are out there and what's been fixed/changed in them because Native Access is a critical app for me due to my dependence on the tools it manages. I also use it just for maintaining the performance of these libraries by managing their placement among my storage devices, which is just standard good practice.

I'm not a fan of people attempting to patronise others, so I'd be grateful if you didn't attempt it.

I used to go on the forums more, I haven't much because of the moribund state of most things NI

I was actually on the Native Access beta team until it 'evaporated' and it looks very much like resurrecting it might be a good idea. The issues I've had have been reported to NI over and over and over years and no amount of forum gazing is going to solve them, only them actually acknowledging the problems and attempting to do something about them. If you think that these issues only happen to me, then actually look on the forum you visit and maybe some outside of NI for a less blinkered view.

I have absolutely no idea why the recent versions of NA have been so problematic, all I can do is report them and offer to run any scripts that might shed light on why it is happening.

And if my computer is so badly configured, how come I have none of these problems with any other software?

My libraries are all cohesive and my multitude of plugins are only in either the dedicated VST2 folder or the dedicated VST 3 folder

But the real question for you is, how do you explain the difference in your experience and mine if we have exactly the same software on the same OS? That's where you start, not assuming everyone is having the same problems and somehow overnight your software got magically corrupted by NI.

I can't explain it, and apparently neither can you. NI should be able to, but they don't appear to have any interest whatsoever. I don't assume my software got corrupted overnight (see my comment about attempted patronizing) or anything of the sort. I repeat, some of these non NA problems have been going on for years. There was never a problem for me on any computer with NA 1.

I have well over 300 NKS plugins and probably over 1000 non NKS plugins including large libraries too, and they all perform as they should...just not the NI products, (NA2, Maschine, Kontakt 7 and Komplete Kontrol), which seem to not be able to handle either some plugins or a certain amount of them. I doubt there will be any type of progression on that until NI are willing to acknowledge there is a problem and enter into meaningful attempts to solve them. Some of these problems have been going on for years... literally.

If you want to continue to tell me or anyone else that because yours is running alright therefore the problem must lie with them, be aware that that is myopic and insulting, so please desist.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 231 Advisor
    Options

@tempsperdu Sorry you are facing these irritating and frustrating issues as are many people and it doesn't help having people with "perfect" systems telling you there's something wrong with you because yours isn't perfect.

I am still on NA1 and with all the issues people have had through last year and up to the present, I shudder at the thought of updating it. With the issues Ive had through the last year, NA1 is one thing that hasn't let me down. Im on slow broadband and I was able to download those 2 huge libraries Lores and Omnia. Is it possible for you to try NA1 to ease the pain, until NI get NA2 properly working?

• tempsperdu
    Options

Thanks JoJo...... I did go through a period of still using NA1, but updates didn't seem to show in it. At some point, NA2 was actually usable for me, but the recent updates have really scuppered things and NI rather than responding and entering into dialogue are just ignoring the issues or closing down threads that are critical. The problem seems to be with a lot of the recent approach to software is to get it rewritten from scratch in some ways by people who seem to have little or no understanding of what went before. If it is being beta tested, then that shows every sign of failing.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 231 Advisor
    Options

Ah OK. I did hear sometime ago, that for some people things didn't show up in NA1. For some reason everything has shown up for me until just recently when I asked for the freebie Audience Choir. That's the first that hasn't shown up and I upgraded to K14 UCE.

Right now Im still actively waiting for KK, K7 and NA to either be consistently stable or reinstate features they've strangely ripped out.

• tempsperdu
    edited March 23
    Options

I don't know what happened here, part of my uploaded PNG that I posted because it wouldn't take the post appeared. I tried to edit it and everything went.

Mods, please do tell what on earth is going on.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,769 mod
    Options

Quote : "Mods..... why is my real post not loading???why did I have to post it as a PNG?"

I downloaded your PNG and then uploaded it into your post without any problems As for your question "why did I have to post it as a PNG?" then the question is 'incomplete' in as much that I don't know if you tried to upload it in another format or if you were not allowed to upload it as PNG yourself ! Also I am just a Moderator here not an Administrator (big difference) so I do not have access to information if there are any limits imposed on your account. Incidentally you ought not use image to upload text here just use the text interface. And if you are considering to use for uploading something that you could otherwise not put in text here then kindly do not do that !

• tempsperdu
    Options

I tried to post it as a standard post umpteen times, and it just showed blank, so then I posted it as a PNG attachment.

When I looked, part of the post on what was the PNG was missing, so I tried to post in the missing piece as an edit and when I hit submit everything disappeared.

It should have been a standard reply post but for some unknown reason when I hit submit it just remained blank, which is why I posted the PNG. Unfortunately, the whole post won't fit on the PNG.

Have you any idea whatsoever as to why the original post is not actioning?

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,769 mod
    Options

Unless if it should somehow be browser related then no ! I use Firefox here , but if it is browser related then it could also have to do with browser extensions or security programs , anything that could prevent the browser from working properly. I am not saying that it is browser related it just the only thing that I could think of since I have no problems with the interface, but then again , being logged in as a Moderator then my experience could be diverse from yours !

• tempsperdu
    edited March 23
    Options

forget it bad post

• tempsperdu
    edited March 23
    Options

And the merriness and mirth just keep on coming for NA2 is the disaster that keeps on giving........................

OK so yesterday those nice people at Soniccouture emailed me with a pretty reasonable offer to upgrade Pan Drums to Pan Drums II. Seeing as it looks like quite a desirable upgrade at a reasonable price, I bit and let's get it loaded, so I open NA2......and eventually it actually does ...er sort of......

That busy GIF is certainly value for money because it appears to be doing another marathon

stint...just what can it be doing??????????????????

I enter the serial and nope it ain't having none of it, so I wait and try again...nope no go..... so I wait till the GIF finally appears to be having a break and try again... still no go!!!!!!!

OK...where's my trusty NA1? So I uninstall NA2 and the beloved NTK Daemon, reboot and install NA1.....

Well NA1 has at least accepted the Pan Drums serial but when I try to install, it won't accept any of the installation paths I try..................................

Back to installing NA2 again....... When it finally opens....think it took two attempts.....there is Pan Drums II all ready to install.....except the busy GIF is still doing its bit for being...er...busy (it really is getting to be very good at it). Try to install and nothing so I wait for about 10 minutes for the GIF to stop and try to install.....eventually bingo... it does!!!!!!! Only taken just over half an hour.

I'm now led to believe 'elsewhere' that, as I suspected, most, if not all, of my NI woes are due to the shameless amount of plugins I have, but that truly begs far more questions than it answers, and I really would not be at all upset if anyone from NI would choose to clarity and elucidate upon this.

If the busy GIF in NA2 is being busy doing something related to VST's how and why? As far as I can tell, NA2 has no relevance to VSTs.

If not, then what the hell is it doing that takes so long?????, and why has NA1 never had such a problem?

There are questions thrown up also about Maschine, Kontakt, and KK but this isn't really the place for them, however if anyone can provide answers then great..........................

• tempsperdu
    Options

@PoorFellow

I eventually worked out the problem...it took offence at me saying that NA2 was having a cigarette break, only I used the abbreviated form of cigarette.

Rather Draconian, don't you think?

I also said another abbreviation that I can't post here cos it will just refuse the post....................

• Scoops
    Scoops Member Posts: 44 Member
    Options

@tempsperdu

I find your dialog spot on and points to missing intelligence chromosomes on behalf of some.