why are the cells greyed out?

apricotandpearjam
apricotandpearjam Member Posts: 83 Helper
edited 9:19AM in Battery 4

hi. this keeps happening when i open a session. even if i replace the kit it goes back to grey when i open it back up.

any ideas?

Tagged:

Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,157 mod
  • apricotandpearjam

Thanks, and possibly yea!

Is this potentially the same bug which means you constantly have to re-locate your samples from older sessions, one by one, track by track, instance by instance, every time you load the project?

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,157 mod
    edited March 13

Sorry , I have no actual experience with this bug myself and thus have no idea about how to fix it.

Personally then my own suggestion at this point can only be to try to contact support and report the problem and ask them for advice !

• apricotandpearjam

maybe @Jeremy_NI could weigh in here?

there has been a looooooonnnnng standing battery bug which means that when opening a project from a time where your battery samples were in a different location it will ask you to re-locate them every single time you open the project.

also sometimes i get this error message - sometimes about 1 sample, sometimes about the entire kit.

if i re-load the kit its fine but i'll loose all the settings and changes i made.

any ideas on when this might be fixed / whats causing it?

thanks

• swhite109
    swhite109 Member Posts: 5 Member

Seems like NI no longer cares about Battery 4. It is totally unusable now, especially on M1 Machines that don't support earlier versions such as 4.1.6, the last version that wasn't buggy. Maybe a Battery 5 is coming soon. In the meantime I have to use Kontakt or some other sampler as a replacement.

• apricotandpearjam

yep, its the most difficult to use and manage piece of software in my arsenal.

i’ve spoken to so many people at NI support and none of them have addressed it in any way.

it genuinely puts me off using it because of the hassle i know i’ll face as a result.

i’ve built so many kits in battery but i think it’s officially dead in the water.

any good alternatives?

• apricotandpearjam

@Jeremy_NI could you pls help?

here is a screen recording of me opening a project and the battery kit being completely wiped/empty.

https://www.dropbox.com/t/hWxRbAb18Ak5m3Kp

sometimes its greyed out like my original post / sometimes its reset.

either way - id like to address this please?

thanks, ben

• apricotandpearjam

another video to show you 1/2 of the issue.

opening up a session and the kits having to be manually re-loaded.

the issues are:

1. opening up an old session the battery kits are greyed out.
    2. opening up an old session the battery kits are empty/wiped.
    3. opening up an old session the battery instances have to be manually opened and closed for the audio to playback.

• SaschaFranck
    SaschaFranck Member Posts: 151 Helper

Known issue. Won't be fixed.

As you are a Logic user, I recommend getting familiar with Drum Machine Designer. Yes, you will miss some of Battery's features, but in the end, you won't run into data loss. Which is very likely what will ultimately happen at one point in time when you keep using Battery.

Unfortunately, we need to realize that Battery is a dead product. If it wasn't, the NI folks in this community would at least say something like "we're still working on it". But noone ever did. After all, 4.3.0 is bugridden and still over two years old already. That should tell you everything you need to know.

And yes, this is incredibly sad. For me, Battery 3 possibly has got to be my most used instrument plugin of all times. Thought I could somewhat continue with Battery 4 (even if it's several steps back already), but as said: It's dead. Time to move on.

• apricotandpearjam

meh.

what a massive let down to not even fix the bugs.

you are right it has been going on for years.

feeling very disappointed from NI for not even letting us know its been discontinued.

This discussion has been closed.