S88 MK3 keyboard configuration & firmware update problem 💀

Options
Nerod
Nerod Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited February 28 in Komplete Kontrol

Good morning

I just bought the Kontrol s88 but I can't complete the settings.

The keyboard screen says “Get the latest update”.

When I try to do the last installation, a panel opens but nothing starts:

The keyboard is however well connected (on "host") to the computer. When I click on "rescan" nothing happens.

Does anyone have a solution?

Comments

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,791 mod
    edited February 28
    Options

You didn't write S88 MK3 in text but used the Kontrol MK3 as Tag so I will go with S88 MK3 and have edited headline to reflect that also !

Please check these support articles :

How to Update the Firmware of Your Kontrol S-Series MK3

Kontrol S-Series MK3: Troubleshooting Firmware Update Issues

If issue persists then read this

For the S88MK3 you will need both data transfer able cable and an USB-C PSU capable of PD power delivery and a cable PD ready also, while anUSB-C PSU with PD is strongly recommended for all S-Series MK3 keyboard when wanting to update firmware then that especially true with respect to the S88 MK3) .

To complicate matters then a few users have had problems with the USB-C port functionality with respect to some peripherals including the N.I keyboards , the point is that for some it has not worked using an USB-C to USB-C cable as data cable , some have had to use e.g. an USB-C to USB-A computer port cable , other have used a self-powered USB-C hub with PD as go between keyboard and computer.

So a bit hard for me to recommend anything and promise that that will work for sure ! (though at the moment for dta cable I would think that the USB-C to USB-A cable have the greatest chance of working). But if then buy quality cable(s) !

Also if connecting to an USB-A port then it is that more important to be using an USB-C PSU with PD on the keyboard power port since the USB-A type port is certified to deliver less power than the USB-C type port. For PSU with PD then consider a 20W a minimum despite listed keyboard requirement , this especially due to varying degrees of quality of the PSUs

N.I. official statements quotes :

Matthew_NI, Product Team, 3:05 PM , 2024-02-19 ,

To be very clear, and to avoid any one opinion becoming misinformation, I'll re-state what has been said in various places:

As frustrating as this is to you, it is also to us.

This issue is specific to the USB-C implementation on certain computer models.

This issue is not specific to the peripherals themselves.

This issue causes the communication in the protocol to essentially break, thus data is dropped.

This manifests as various symptoms, depending on the peripheral. For Kontrol S MK3, the dropped data can interrupt a firmware update, or controller -> DAW and/or controller -> Plug-in sync.

The issue can appear at random, frequently or infrequently.

Using a USB-C hub interrupts and bypasses the problematic communication specific to the chips used in the USB-C implementation of affected machines.

We can highlight and advise on workarounds, should a customer be affected.

We can, and have, reported this directly to the manufacturers of affected models. So have many other manufacturers of peripherals.

They can, and have, fixed it in newer models, but of course there exist affected models in the market that will forever be subject to the workaround.

We cannot do any more than this. I'm sorry that some of you choose to blame us. I recognize that it's deeply frustrating, but I cannot change the facts of the matter that I've outlined above.

Matthew_NI, Product Team, 3:06 PM , 2024-02-19 ,

MK3 has two ports:

1) For simultaneously data and power

2) For auxiliary power if the first port is not able to provide adequate power (e.g. a USB-A port)

These are not two separate issues.

Matthew_NI, Product Team, 3:11PM , 2024-02-19 ,

This narrative simply isn't factual. I know how frustrating this is - but please recognize that the shortcoming here is specific to the USB-C implementation in certain hardware, and not the peripherals that are affected by the shortcoming.

As I've stated - it is to do with communication protocols in the chip breaking down, which can affect the transfer of whatever's coming down the pipe (USB-C cable).

Also, we are not talking about a lot of cases. We are talking about a small number of cases handled either here in the forum, or via our customer support channels, or both. The number of unaffected customers is exponentially larger.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    edited February 28
    Options

Did you install the required software first? It's worth watching this video if you're new to NI. But definitely watch at least the first 3-4 minutes to make sure you have installed the necessary software. Also, do you have a power supply connected to your S88 in addition to your computer's USB-C connection?