Komplete Kontrol SC88 MK3 is powered but unresponsive. Why?

Options
conrad caldwell
conrad caldwell Member Posts: 10 Newcomer

I have yet to fully set up the Hardware Control software. All permissions have been granted for direct HD access, but the install consistently fails. My unit did not come with the host to keyboard USB-C cable, and the one I am using is 4' long.

The keyboard lights up, tells me the serial number, and awaits instructions ... and never changes. The keyboard is connected with my Thunderbolt out in my MacBook M1 2020 8GB Ram, 256K HD, running Big Sur 11.5.2

Moreover the keyboard somewhat interacts with the host software, serving as a piano keyboard for MASSIVE, but the buttons on the controller are not functioning. Strangely the audio comes only through my MacBook earphones. If I remove the earphones, the default is Mac Onboard Speakers, but they are silent. There is no other sound output I can hear.

So far NI customer support has been completely fictional!

Best Answer

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes if you load Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol or the other instruments (Reaktor etc...) they will all have their own sound settings. So the first time you open Kontakt, you'll need to go into the Settings/Options and change the audio settings to use your desired hardware.

If you want to using a different audio device instead of your Mac's built-in sound device, then click on the Device drop down and choose your desired audio device.

Reaktor is a bit different, once open go to File -> Audio and Midi Settings and then you can select your audio device.

Also when you say Reaktor is not "fully" operating, what exactly do you mean? Where at in the process of it working does it no longer work?

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,797 mod
    Options

@conrad caldwell Have you installed the Komplete Kontrol software as well? If you open Komplete Kontrol in standalone, is the keyboard recognised?

Regarding our fictional support, I see that you only submitted your request yesterday evening, my colleagues will get back to you soon.

• conrad caldwell
    Options

Thank you for responding, Jeremy.

The keyboard does receive power from the host USB-C, but seems not to receive any data. Strangely, the 88 keys interact with Massive when I open in in the computer, but none of the function keys are activated, and the sound is routed exclusively to the MacBook headphone out (onboard speakers will not activate!).

Failure ti install Hardware software is the repeated message I get from attempting to get the keyboard to respond to data. It does not.

• conrad caldwell
    Options

For anyone with a similar problem, I was able to troubleshoot it with an Apple Tech. Big Sur 11.5.2 seems not to read the USB-C port configurations properly. The Hardware Control software would fail to install in the host computer (with all peripherals disconnected). On my MacBook 2020 M1, it just won't work. The solution was clearing HD space on the host mac, updating the MacOS to Sonoma, and voilá, the ports work.

Now if I could only figure out why the S88 Mk3 defaults to MIDI mode and won't react to computer commands ... What a joy to navigate this without tech support from NI !

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@conrad caldwell Do you mean that the keyboard goes to MIDI mode even if you open the Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt standalone applications? Have you checked these steps? My Komplete Kontrol Keyboard Does Not Start

• conrad caldwell
    Options

Hi Jeremy,

The interaction between controller and MacBook M1 host is still doing weird stuff. Some functions are supported normally, and then the audio goes out for every App!

For some reason, the downloads and data routing is weird. At one point it bypassed and replaced my System Sound settings, and started routing all audio thru my Mac onboard speakers. The mute and volume controls were inactivated. I resolved by starting up the computer a couple of times, having it re-initialize objects, and also rand Disk Utility on the Mac HD to correct any corrupted commands.

So far Reaktor is not fully operating on the host computer, and that might be impeding the audio and functions of Reaktor dependent synths.

In all, it seems to be slowly coalescing into a workable nucleus, but I was lucky that Mac support was around to help me troubleshoot.

• reffahcs
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes if you load Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol or the other instruments (Reaktor etc...) they will all have their own sound settings. So the first time you open Kontakt, you'll need to go into the Settings/Options and change the audio settings to use your desired hardware.

If you want to using a different audio device instead of your Mac's built-in sound device, then click on the Device drop down and choose your desired audio device.

Reaktor is a bit different, once open go to File -> Audio and Midi Settings and then you can select your audio device.

Also when you say Reaktor is not "fully" operating, what exactly do you mean? Where at in the process of it working does it no longer work?

• conrad caldwell
    Options

I was getting no audio from the Reaktor based software. Other function keys seemed to operate normally. Actually, by re-scanning the system has found and integrated new VST's and libraries, previously downloaded but not yet installed. It seems to be coming together, with lots of hair pulling and info digging.

• reffahcs
    Options

The forum is here to help, no need to resort to hair pulling. I myself had to stop cause I have not much left to pull.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited February 29
    Options

@conrad caldwell Let us know if you have any more questions or issues.