Can NI Kontrol M32 be mapped to Arturia Analog Lab

Options
gustavjung
gustavjung Member Posts: 5 Member

Hey

I just ordered NI M32 and wonder if I will he able to map it to Arturia Analog Lab to both browse presets and control them using generic midi control setting (9 knobs + 9 faders)?

I know there is a paid NKS version of Analog Lab presets, but I just want to understand if I can map it directly to Analog Lab

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,779 mod
    edited February 25 Answer ✓
    Options

It does work for all presets if you are changing them in Analog Lab itself - same as would be the case with your generic MIDI controller - for that just map the knobs you want and save that as a template (or if you don't even want to do that just use the automapping if you are happy with the default layout, but 9 times out of 10 I find I prefer to make my own)

However, if you want to actually browse presets with your M32 then they need to be in the format the M32 reads - NKS

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,217 mod
    Options

It's very unlikely you can browse presets, but you can certainly map the knobs. You only have eight knobs though, so you can't map volume. To be honest, I'd suggest you look at the NKS presets. Assuming you mean the ones from Freelance Sound Labs, the full version is only $20 (Australian) and it'll be a lot easier than trying to map everything yourself. Maybe try the demo?

• gustavjung
    Options

Thanks! I will try the demo.

You say 8 knobs. But can't I assign the 2nd page of these knobs in m32 to the 2nd row row of smart controls in Arturia Analog Lab which are faders if choose generic 9 knobs + 9 faders.

I saw there is a free NKS converter mentioned on the forum, thought it is psoobile to convert arturia presents using that. I will look into it deeply in a while.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,217 mod
    Options

You could do that, I was thinking you'd want them all on the one page to save switching. But yes, two pages would work for sure

• Kymeia
    Options

You’d be better off just buying the pack from Freelance

There isn’t really a NKS converter, there are various scripts to make it automatable to an extent but those are actually pretty hard to use for most people.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,613 Expert
    Options

You can map anything any which way you like, just depends if you want to invest the time or go the rout of someone who has done that for you. Once you start trying you soon realise it's a hell of a job and no 2 plugins work the same in getting presets out of them.

Easy option:

• gustavjung
    Options

I just dont get it why I need this NKS mapping. In Analog lab I can select a generic midi controller and 1 time assign 9 buttons of quick controls to buttons of my midi controller. After that it should work for all presets in Analog lab. Quick control buttons are constant in AL interface. Isnt it?

• Kymeia
    edited February 25 Answer ✓
    Options

It does work for all presets if you are changing them in Analog Lab itself - same as would be the case with your generic MIDI controller - for that just map the knobs you want and save that as a template (or if you don't even want to do that just use the automapping if you are happy with the default layout, but 9 times out of 10 I find I prefer to make my own)

However, if you want to actually browse presets with your M32 then they need to be in the format the M32 reads - NKS

• gustavjung
    Options

Oh, thank, I think I got it. The only reason I need to convert it to NKS, is to browse it using M32 built in screen on the keyboard. However if I am OK to browsing prseats, and seeing visual feedback of changing knobs on a computer screen, it will work just fine.

I don't think I absolutely need to see names of presets and names of controls on the keyboard, because I will put it just behind the computer screen.

• Kymeia
    edited February 25
    Options

Actually there is one other reason which is having at least one mapped template saved as NKS means you will then see and be able to load Analog Lab from your KK browser rather than having to load it from the plugin menu - so even if you don't change the default layout of controls at least save it once just so you have that

(or if you download the free demo from Freelance Soundlabs you get a premapped version and can also install the graphics thumbnails)

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,303 Expert
    Options

In any case, browsing with the tiny M32 screen isn’t a good experience. NKS or not. Believe me.

Seeing the presets or the categories one by one without seeing what’s next or which other options you have (without pushing the encoder left and right 20 times to go back to the other menus) 0is almost useless.

Specially if you’ll have the keyboard close to the computer screen (as you said), you will watch at it anyway, since the infos you get all together are so much superior

• gustavjung
    Options

Thank you! I definitely can live with the fact that I wont be able to see categories or names on M32 screen.

However, can you please confirm that it will map correctly with quick control buttons of generic midi (9 knobs + 9 faders) if assigned manually?

I tried to map my DJ controllers to the quick controls of AL, but they just jump randomly when I turn that knobs. Perhaps this is something with my DJ controllers, though.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

I programmed the faders and knobs on my Roland Fantom to the pre-set CC values for controls in Analog Lab and they worked fine, so yes it's very possible.

You can use something like MIDI Monitor on Mac or the PC equivalent to monitor MIDI to help troubleshoot the issue with your DJ controller.

• Kymeia
    edited February 25
    Options

You are better off using the Komplete Kontrol mapping editor which doesn't rely on MIDI (it uses higher resolution host automation) - it's built into KK - open it using the plugin view button and make the controls editable using the unlock button and then learn button to map controls (or as you can see the main ones are there already by default but it also has a lot of extra clutter you may want to rearrange or delete) - once done save it and you have a NKS template

But then the Freelance labs ones have already done that