How to install just std. version of KOMPLETE from many licences in one account

Options
LukasL
LukasL Member Posts: 16 Member
Hello,
we have recently purchased NI KOMPLETE std. 14 for our classroom (18 lic total). But we also purchased NI KOMPLETE ultimate 14 some time ago, as well as KOMPLETE 12 Ultimate, KOMPLETE 7 and 8 and so on.
Is there any way I can select what version I want to install to our classroom computers if I do not want to click one plugin after another? Let's say I want to install just everything contained in the std. version of KOMPLETE 14. I wish to avoid installing anything from the ultimate as we did not buy it for these computers.
One idea though - can we split our account, or transfer the std. licence to a new account and install from this new account? There would not be any legal licence transfer - just spliting the existing account so we can manage our products better.

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,837 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@LukasL If you need more information on what is possible and not regarding installation you can contact my colleagues here: https://bit.ly/NI_support_NA

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,002 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Alas hen things like that in the end is a policy question I think. And may also to some extend be influenced by a supply and demand thing since development resources would have to be a allocated if there were going to be any changes like what you ask for !

Previously I have already 'called in' the developer of Native Access and the forum customer care person so I honestly do not see that there is anything more that there can be done about this via the forum !

If I were you then I would try to address both your concerns about not feeling confident about administrating number of licenses in use as well as the general use and installation with customer support or the department that handles the educational licenses in the first place. I am not saying that it would be worth while but you never know until you have tried. Also I do not know how account support works or what is their policies but if you have any need for configuration of licenses then they are the ones to ask. No one in the forum have any say anyway !

Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,800 Expert
    Options

There, probably, is not way, how to do it. Except one after one....

Maybe, that if those computers are fresh and you enter to Native Access only Licence Number for K14, it could work so that only K14 is shown in NA. But I am not very sure, it seems to me that NA shows all licences even without enterin them to NA. But sometimes one has to enter Licence Number, it is not loaded automatically from NI account....

If that does not work, splitting licences to several NI accounts would do the trick. It is easy to transfer licences between accounts.

• LukasL
    Options
    Hello Kubrak. That would be great - only if it does not say "Not transferable" (just checked) for almost all of our licences (including mentioned K14 std.)
  • PoorFellow
    edited February 20
    Options

For questions for an advanced issue like this then you have to contact support (don't know exactly the entry for you since you appear to be using an educational license , I mean if you need standard account support of if you need to communicate with the department for educational licenses - which you might have to).

But I would advice you to try to make a polity request and explain your predicament as concise as possible and then see if there is anything that support can do or is willing to get help to get to happen in anyway.

• LukasL
    Options
    2PoorFellow - thanks. First - we do not mind how the vendor gets our licences sorted as far we can prove to any inspection check (like BSA etc.) we - as the school - are the rightful holder of the licence. We can of course support it by paid invoices etc. But as it gets to installing the mentioned products - how I'm supposed to know if I'm not overusing the given number of licences? I think this have to change. Lately I've worked with many other DAW and DAW plugin vendors such as Steinberg, SpitfireAudio, Fabfilter etc. and each and every one has its specific way of licence handling. But none of them let you just install some software and click "install all" not checking if you are eliglible to use it. For example Steinberg - you have to go through online activation, you can install whatever product you want - but unless you have a licence - it does not work. But you can always specify which Cubase you want to install. Not at NI. Just run NI access and select what you want - we do not look. Why there is no selection for what you are going to install? Is there any limit which will hold you not to intall everything everywhere? We have strict legal software policies and trying to be responsible. But this does not help us at all :smile:
  • PoorFellow
    Options

Sorry to learn that you have that kind of problems with your NI software. This I however have to kick to @Hayo_NI , Hayo , the problem described here might be something that you should maybe put on your list to take a look at. Since it is a problem concerning 'only' educational licenses I have no idea if you can give this any priority at all. Even if the license issue in itself is not an issue that is your department then I think that you are a lot better qualified to give LukasL any meaningful answer since it also concerns license control through Native Access !.

@LukasL , Hayo_NI is the PM of Native Access 2 and the Daemon so he is the closest we can come to a resident expert on the Native Access. Jeremy_NI who is not here until , at earliest, the 26th of February, is the forum resident Customer Care and might have had some idea at least for some advice how to approach this but as mentioned then he is not here before next week. If you do not get any useful advice before then then try to politely call for Jeremy_NI to see if he have anything that he can add to assist.

I am just a user made Moderator and as such do not have any real system contact and do not have any deeper resources or knowledge to help me or you for that matter !

• Hayo_NI
    Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 278 mod
    Options

Hey all,

Thanks for the tag @PoorFellow , I'll do my best to answer here.

"Is there a way" - Not through Native Access no. Unfortunately the only solution is to install them to a drive, drag those to the new computer, and locate them one by one.

We're in the process of building a feature to do this automatically by scanning a directory for products and locating them all in one go. This will allow you to install Komplete Standard products on a hard drive, transfer that to other systems, drag to the system directories you wish to place them in, and locate them all in batch. Unfortunately at this time I cannot tell you when we'll ship this feature, but hopefully this sounds like a solution that might ease the pain here. The main use case is for systems migrations, but at least it should assist smaller software management.

Thanks for your patience!

• PoorFellow
    Options

Thank you very much Hayo for your time and for sharing your app insight !

• LukasL
    Options

OK this one could be for @Hayo_NI as well. I've ended with a large table (so far) writing down what is in the K14 standard (and not in the K14 ultimate). As I went down the table I queued every item on the list. Half of them installed fine. FYI - I have circa 96 items on the list - sorted alphatebically and everything to the "M" (like Massive, Massive X, Mechanix etc.) worked fine. But then almost everything spat out an error about mounting the disc. I went to the win device manager - and there was an exclamation mark on the virtual cd rom - saying it could not load the driver because there was another copy of it in memory. So I shutdown the NI access, uninstalled the virtual cdrom end ran NI access again - with no luck. So I restarted the computer itself and now I'm queuing the last items almost one by one - so far it works.

I've directed the download folder as well as the content folder to the same drive - 7200rpm hdd. (we do not have enough space on the ssds) While running installer via NI access it peaks at 200MB/s. I'm at 1Gbps download - and it holds around 700-750Mbps without any problems while NI access downloads.

As a result of this I had to check my list at least two times. Going through it again and again looking for not intalled items. It would be much nicer if I can select just the items from K14 std. as I suggested. And this was only a proof of concept run just on one of our computers...

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,837 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@LukasL If you need more information on what is possible and not regarding installation you can contact my colleagues here: https://bit.ly/NI_support_NA

• LukasL
    Options

Hello Jeremy, besides some occasional virtual cdrom driver hangups I do not have many issues with installing.

What I'm up to is I do not have full control over the used licenses. I have to admit I messed it up with the number of K14 std. licenses needed. So it happened that I'd already installed "K12 Ultimate" on the teacher's PC a long time ago - we had already a multipack license lying around. This means it makes it difficult to properly manage the licenses. Strangely NI seems not to have any limits for overusing the licenses. As I've already mentioned I think we are the more honest customer around there - so we are strictly using what we have paid for.

This just illustrates the difficulties of managing the NI product's licenses. I'd appreciate if I could see where are my licenses installed, how many I have left and I could select what volume I'm installing (eq. std ord ultimate).

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,800 Expert
    Options

@LukasL

Hello Kubrak. That would be great - only if it does not say "Not transferable" (just checked) for almost all of our licences (including mentioned K14 std.)

If you have normal licence, not NFT, it should be possible to transfer.

But, if you have registered it quite recently, it is marked as Non Transferable for two or three months since registration. But still, it is possible to transfer licence, but one has to open the support ticket and ask for licence transfer. In my experience NI in that case manually removes licences from an account and make licences free to be registered to a new account.

You may have educational and I do not know, if they are transferable. Maybe that one has to proof that target account has right for educational licence. Simply, I do not know.... You would have to ask NI.

• LukasL
    Options

Hello all - as the first (and frankly the last) resort - I clicked through about 1700 installations. I'm glad I have only 17 student's computers :-)

Artistic imagination:

It would really helped me if the NI access works like this - left side menu with the avaible products, with a list of installed instancies and/or number of used licenses. If clicked - it should evaluate installed/available (or all) items under the selected product. I bet there is a way for the NI access app itself to know (not checked what api or data - like json or xml - it downloads from NI) what we have bought and what it should allow to install.

I think there should be a way to specify how many items it should download at once (do you use aria2, don't you?) And there should be a way it detects unresponsive virtual CD driver as well.

Lukas

• PoorFellow
    Answer ✓
    Options

Alas hen things like that in the end is a policy question I think. And may also to some extend be influenced by a supply and demand thing since development resources would have to be a allocated if there were going to be any changes like what you ask for !

Previously I have already 'called in' the developer of Native Access and the forum customer care person so I honestly do not see that there is anything more that there can be done about this via the forum !

If I were you then I would try to address both your concerns about not feeling confident about administrating number of licenses in use as well as the general use and installation with customer support or the department that handles the educational licenses in the first place. I am not saying that it would be worth while but you never know until you have tried. Also I do not know how account support works or what is their policies but if you have any need for configuration of licenses then they are the ones to ask. No one in the forum have any say anyway !

• LukasL
    Options

Yes, PoorFellow - I've already described that in a message to Hayo_NI. I was just curious why it is not like that for a long time. I do not expect user phorum will solve my problems. But according to my experience developers often read such phorums.

What I want to say is I'm not used to install NI products on a daily basis. I was faced with this multi computer multi licence problem just recently. In the past I always installed everything (ie. all), because I was told so by the teacher who uses it. I confirmed this practise with my local seller. But as the problem with license mgmt emerged more - I was hoping to start a discussion, a slight push towards a more user friendly app. As I've already said we are just trying to be honest customer...

• PoorFellow
    edited March 4
    Options

I am very sorry if I have given any reason to any kind of misunderstanding here. None of what I wrote or have written earlier should be construed as any kind of criticism of you wanting to discuss things here.

Also , quote : "As I've already said we are just trying to be honest customer." ,

Yes , I immediately understood the first time that you brought up your concerns that actually one of your major concerns were that you would be perceived as having been trying to cheat licenses when you in fact cares a lot about not doing so ! I also think that in some of the responses that you have received then it might have been overlooked or not have been seen as a major issue that needed dealing with.

All I am trying to do is to advice you as best I can based on my life experiences and point of views.

Having no real say anywhere here other than being a forum Moderator then I am never in a position to give anyone any promises but I think that we as persons should always make an assessment of our own and then act on that. My suggestion for you to contact whatever department of N.I. that you find appropriate (support or could even be N.I. corporate) to raise your questions and concerns are made out of the assumptions that if you explain yourself properly and your request appear as reasonable then N.I. most likely will act in a friendly manner. They might not be able to give you what you want now but perhaps they could help you get a better configuration of your licenses if you need that ! ? I mean who knows ? If you do not try you will never find out !