Suspicious new posts made by bots?

Options
PK The DJ
PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,308 Expert
edited February 19 in Social Club

Some of the posts appearing on the forum recently seem to be made by bots.

The clue is in the way they're written, which is very bland, generic and emotionless. I spotted one yesterday and Googled the username. I discovered that the same "user" had posted messages on random forums all over the internet, which followed the same bland style.

Often the messages also contain a link to a web site.

I've seen a couple of posts today too, from KarenCornish [edit: this is older] and KittyTobias here:

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/6541/cant-play-spotify-while-using-traktor-s3-internal-sound-card

Comments

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,663 Expert
    Options

I even flagged it as spam a couple of weeks ago. And I think it's gone now.

And yes, there are AI spam bots around :/

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru
    Options

They're getting good now. I've seen full on spambot conversations on YouTube between two accounts where one user claims to have an issue that the second person "solves" usually by going to some website or contacting someone on Instagram.

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,995 Guru
    Options

Yeah...

Now if AI can use synonyms for the same word if it wants to use it again, then it will be harder to make a difference between AI and a human typing...

• Milos
    Options

...except that AI always has to say something like this:

Person1 said: a question?

Person2 said: a response.

...you know, something like that.

Funny tho, because I encountered one of them and I even asked them why they are typing like that, and the person said what do I mean by that.

I even asked if they are AI, and it said that it isn't AI.

Who knows, maybe they are actual people, but they don't know how to express themselves or something...so they use AI to type it for them.

Idk...just my guess...

• PK The DJ
    Options

@Milos I think that some people do use AI to help them explain a technical issue in a non native language . I've seen posts elsewhere that looked as if they might have been AI assisted.

• Milos
    Options

Yeah, that is kinda true.

As an artist, I don't really have issue with AI as long as it is used as a tool, not as a substitute for an actual human creativity and product, whether it is music, animation, voice acting etc.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,719 mod
    Options

It's only going to get worse I think.

• PK The DJ
    edited February 19
    Options

Oh definitely there are some amazing uses for AI.

What Adobe is doing with it is pretty cool, and I've been finding it really helpful editing, enhancing and upscaling images and video.

Also I discovered a program that could generate drum & percussion sounds (Emergent Drums) which impressed me enough to buy it straight away!

• reffahcs
    Options

Have you tried XLN's Life? It's pretty cool, though the workflow could use some improvement.

• PoorFellow
    Options

A bit peculiar , at the product company product page it says that you can buy Emergent Drums 2 for $79 then I go to the N.I. site then suddenly price is €249 ! I mean what the #!%&!

Anyway , maybe that discussion about what people like about AI is a bit off-topic in this Spam Bot discussions ! (I myself used an AI driven photo program just the other day of another make than mentioned by PK The DJ above and bought yet another cheap the other day but it's sort of besides the point here !)

• PK The DJ
    edited February 19
    Options

Have you tried XLN's Life?

No, I've seen what it does, and it didn't appeal to me. I do have their XO software, but that's not AI.

@PoorFellow Ouch! That's a big price difference. It's worth $79 any day of the week though.

• reffahcs
    edited February 19
    Options

@PoorFellow Here use this link instead, straight from the source and it is actually $79 like you said

https://audialab.com/features/

• PoorFellow
    Options

Thank you , yes ! , I know , I just didn't want to provide the external link myself in this particular case 😉 🙂

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,576 mod
    Options

I can't see any reason to make posts for such matters...

Just click the "Spam" Flag (as i do very often, in fact i reported earlier a second comment by KittyTobias, with a questionable -to say the least- link in it).

Then the comment disappeared (becomes hidden) and goes to a "vault" where the admins & mods see it and take the necessary actions.

• Milos
    Options

I mean, you kinda have a point as well, Sunborn.

They could just type the thing that AI typed for them, then they could just manually delete the AI part and that is mission accomplished.