KompleteKontrol MK3 S49 will not display plugins in browser on Keyboard

Options
Ralik
Ralik Member Posts: 12 Member
This is my second keyboard. The display screen went dark on the first one and today I got a replacement from NI. This one had issues with updating the firmware, but once I got that sorted, the display screen only shows Default Midi Template or Hardware screens.

When I load up Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt in my DAW OR in standalone, the keyboard display does not show plugin info or the browser.

Specs:
Running Mac OS Sonoma
Mac Studio M2

Updated firmware and it is up top date
Re-installed KK
Re-Installed Native Access
Re-Installed Hardware Connection App
Re-built databases
Full Disk Access enabled
Changed cables
Checked the forum

Not sure what to do at this point.

Although the older unit had a bad display...it allowed me to browse from the keyboard display.

Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

Sounds like it could be a USB-C issue. Honestly surprised you were able to update the firmware.

I can't find the link right now but if you search the forums for MK3 USB issue you'll find relevant posts.

But the basic gist is that certain computers have USB issues that cause problems with the new MK3 keyboard. The official NI advice is to use a USB hub to connect the keyboard to instead of directly connecting to your Mac. I have a Mac Studio M2 as well and had loads of issues, but currently using a powered USB-C/A hub. Using the factory cable connected to the USB-C port on the hub it works fine now, no extra power brick needed.

If you opt for a non-powered USB hub, you may need to use a USB power brick to supply additional power to the extra USB-C power port.

I personally went with this one https://www.amazon.com/Rosonway-Individual-Switches-Aluminum-RSH-A107C/dp/B0BXRY4QZ5 from Amazon because it supports the USB-A 3.2 connectors in the back of my Studio, so I still get fast speeds but don't use up one of the Thunderbolt 4 ports.

• Ralik
    Options
    @reffahcs thank you for your response. I previously had a S49 MK3 that was working fine except the display was dark. It showed the Library/Plugins in the keyboard browser. With the factory USB connected to my Mac Studio. It never needed an additional power supply, etc. in order to show me the plugins in the keyboard display area. Not to mention, the new S49 that was just sent to me came with it's own cable as well. I swapped out USB cables and it still only switches between Default Midi Template and Hardware screens. It doesn't show my plugins when connected to Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt through my DAW OR Standalone.

So it's been proven that I shouldn't need a USB hub to see plugins in the keyboard display. I really don't think that this is a cable issue. The display works fine. It just doesn't show the plugins.
  • Ralik
    Options
    @Kaiwan_NI or @Matt_NI are either of you able to help with this please?
  • Ralik
    Options
    @"Kaiwan_NI " @Matt_NI
  • Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 151 Advisor
    Options

It would be very unlucky to have received another faulty keyboard but it's difficult to see another possible cause given everything you've tried.

• reffahcs
    Options

I have a Mac Studio as well and originally thought my issues were cable related. But since you insist that you shouldn't need a hub, I went and found the official NI response to get a hub. best of luck to you.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/14270580069661-Kontrol-S-Series-MK3-Avoiding-Connection-Issues-by-Using-the-Right-USB-C-Hubs-and-Cables

• Ralik
    Options
    @reffahcs thank you. But the keyboard plays fine. The cable is doing it's job. I can play midi from the DAW and Standalone. It's the keyboard DISPLAY that isn't showing the library or plugins.
  • Ralik
    Options
    @"Mark Oxley" I was hoping that isn't the case. But I'm starting to believe that I got a "refurbished" keyboard. Which could have been sent back for any number of reasons. The inconsistency and issues with these keyboards is pretty ridiculous. I am hoping it's not the keyboard and someone from NI can help me with this. They take a minimum of 3 to 4 days to get back after every email exchange. Which is ridiculous in itself. I'm a new NI customer and I'm starting to really not like them based on the level of support and faulty designs/equipment. We spend hard earned money on it and this is crazy.
  • PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,943 mod
    edited February 20
    Options

first and foremost then make sure that everything N.I. have full disk access in security center of your Mac : How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS . (yes I read the "Full Disk Access enabled" in description however please make sure that that goes for everything NI)

If there are anything in Native Access called something with Hardware then try uninstalling and re-installing that (I vaguely remember there being something with hardware in Native Access for the MK3 so please check) !

Also , I remember reading something about there being some place inside the Mac OS where the information about the S Series MK3 is stored and that someone deleted some information there to make some firmware update work but it's so long time ago that I read it that I am not really sure anymore. But if you are savvy enough with respect to the Mac OS then try deleting that or at least re.install hardware driver - if Mac has such inside the OS for MK3 (I obviously do not have a Mac myself and I am trying to assist relaying only on a rather poor memory)(sorry about that !) (Information might be stored in places like : "System Preferences", Preferences, "Library" folders, System Settings, defaults database whatever these places are !)

Else if issue persist then we may have to ask Jeremy (who is not here until 26th at earliest) or Matthew who might be too busy to notice or not have the time !

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 876 mod
    Options

Hi All,

The notorious USB-C issue sounds like it could be happening here. On affected machines, it can be random, never showing for weeks, or showing every day, and so on. The symptom is typically exactly this - an inability to connect to some of the deeper integrations as the communication protocols are lost.

I would certainly try using a USB-C hub, as a workaround to rule out this being the problem. Until you've tried that and seen no success, there's nothing to suggest the issue has any other cause but this. Additionally, please ensure everything has full disk access, and the permissions are granted during install.

---

Reposted from another thread:

• This issue is specific to the USB-C implementation on certain computer models.
    • This issue is not specific to the peripherals themselves.
    • This issue causes the communication in the protocol to essentially break, thus data is dropped.
    • This manifests as various symptoms, depending on the peripheral. For Kontrol S MK3, the dropped data can interrupt a firmware update, or controller -> DAW and/or controller -> Plug-in sync.
    • The issue can appear at random, frequently or infrequently.
    • Using a USB-C hub interrupts and bypasses the problematic communication specific to the chips used in the USB-C implementation of affected machines.

• Ralik
    Options
    Okay, so previously I switched the cable into different ports in the back of my Mac Studio and the problem persisted. I used the same good cable but this time tried a port on the front of my Mac Studio and its working all of a sudden. The Mac Studio is brand new. So @reffahcs perhaps it is a USB issue afterall. I'm going to buy the USB Hub that you recommended so I can continue to use the rear ports...this is super strange.
  • PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,943 mod
    Options

Thank you for intervening Matthew. User just confirmed that switching USB port solved the issue !

I did suspect something 'hardware' driver or something but had no idea that the notorious USB-C issue could manifest itself that way !

• reffahcs
    Options

The fact that MIDI makes it out but the browser/plugin control doesn't work is the telltale sign of USB-C. It's been reported dozens of times in this forum. I'm honestly shocked the op was able to update their firmware as lot's of users have been unable to because of the same issue.

• Ralik
    edited February 20
    Options

@reffahcs It took multiple attempts to update the firmware and it eventually worked. Thanks again for your input. @PoorFellow thank you as well.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited February 20
    Options

Interesting... For me it's the opposite, it works fine connected directly with the included cable to any Thunderbolt/USB-C port on my Mac Mini but doesn't with any of my hubs, my hubs aren't powered tho as I never needed extra power for anything since USB3 other than external old 3.5" rust HD's.