M32 replacement knob caps

Wilmar Boer
Wilmar Boer Member Posts: 62 Helper
edited January 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I'm looking for replacement caps for the knobs on my M32. One knob broke, And I like to use colours to distinguish between the first set if 4 and second set of 4 knobs.

Does anyone know of any knob replacement that won't break the touch sensitivity of the knobs?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Electrically conductive colored caps aren't very common, the best might be buying some solid aluminum caps (the ones with no plastic inside that require grub screws) like this:

You can find those at ebay, aliexpress, etc... However, I think the process used to color them is anodization which creates a layer that breaks the electrical conductivity but I am not 100% sure.

MPCstuff sells this: https://www.mpcstuff.com/billet-silver-anodized-red-gold-chrome-knob-for-akai-mpc-mpd-mpk-force-maschine/ - they claim it's "compatible with Maschine" but I have my doubts about the capacitative touch functionality due to the issue mentioned earlier, also they don't seem to be the D shaft type so I would definitively email first and clarify those things. (I guess the D shaft problem is solved by the screw assuming its long enough)

If going with a DIY approach is OK with you then order a cap set from NI and spray paint them with electrically conductive paint, it should work but no guarantees, this might be a pricy solution tho.

I guess you could also consider a sticker that only cover part of the cap, I have these dot stickers laying around that fit perfectly but obviously will look a bit guetto.

Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Electrically conductive colored caps aren't very common, the best might be buying some solid aluminum caps (the ones with no plastic inside that require grub screws) like this:

You can find those at ebay, aliexpress, etc... However, I think the process used to color them is anodization which creates a layer that breaks the electrical conductivity but I am not 100% sure.

MPCstuff sells this: https://www.mpcstuff.com/billet-silver-anodized-red-gold-chrome-knob-for-akai-mpc-mpd-mpk-force-maschine/ - they claim it's "compatible with Maschine" but I have my doubts about the capacitative touch functionality due to the issue mentioned earlier, also they don't seem to be the D shaft type so I would definitively email first and clarify those things. (I guess the D shaft problem is solved by the screw assuming its long enough)

If going with a DIY approach is OK with you then order a cap set from NI and spray paint them with electrically conductive paint, it should work but no guarantees, this might be a pricy solution tho.

I guess you could also consider a sticker that only cover part of the cap, I have these dot stickers laying around that fit perfectly but obviously will look a bit guetto.