About to buy an S88 Mk2 for use with a new M1 Max - Feedback / Thoughts Appreciated!

benenglish
benenglish Member Posts: 9 Member

Hello, I'm just about to buy an S88 Mk2 but need to run it connected to my M1 Max for use with Logic on Monterey. On the product page it says the S88 is not supported with M1 Max.

How much of the functionality of the keyboard will I be losing running this with my M1 Max? I have Kontact already running fine with M1 Max and use various paid-for 3rd party and native libraries .. I am now wondering will the keyboard just not work?

Anyone with experience using an S88 Mk2 with an M1 Max or Pro your thoughts would be most appreciated! Many thanks

Best Answer

• MagicPossum
    MagicPossum Member Posts: 1 Member
    Answer ✓

Hi,

I'm the same, have been running the S88 Mk2 with Komplete Kontrol + Komplete instruments and have had no issues so far. Bought my laptop back in October 2021, M1 Pro 14"

NI are slow with development for native M1 compatibility, however they produce very rocksolid software, so no issues running in Rosetta mode.

Thanks!

Answers

• Naghmo
    Naghmo Member Posts: 1 Member

Great combination works well MIDI 2.0 future proofing

• Wonner
    Wonner Member Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2022

I have not run into any problems at all running M1 mini, Monterey, Komplete Control, S88 MK2, and Logic.

There is no functionality lost, and yes, it just works. In fact, unlike with other DAWs, there is zero setup. Just have Komplete Kontrol running and Logic will automatically ask if you want to allow control by Komplete. Done. Complete DAW control from the S88.

Hope that helps!

• MagicPossum
    MagicPossum Member Posts: 1 Member
    Answer ✓

Hi,

I'm the same, have been running the S88 Mk2 with Komplete Kontrol + Komplete instruments and have had no issues so far. Bought my laptop back in October 2021, M1 Pro 14"

NI are slow with development for native M1 compatibility, however they produce very rocksolid software, so no issues running in Rosetta mode.

Thanks!

• benenglish
    benenglish Member Posts: 9 Member

Thank-you all so much for your replies - I ended up getting it and it works GREAT :)

Just a question - what version firmware is everyone on 0.6.0?

• chkomposer
    chkomposer Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2022

I'm about to get new M1 machine next week. And have a KK S88. Does Logic need to be running in Rosetta mode to use the S88? I've heard that Logic can run natively in Apple Silicon and most 3rd party non-native plug-ins/apps can run within logic using Rosetta through something called "AUHostingCompatibility". (Even though Logic is running native.) NI's support document for Apple Silicon compatibility says Logic needs to be running in Rosetta mode.