Komplete Kontrol, NKS compatibility, mapped parameters and errors

Options
StoicSentry
StoicSentry Member Posts: 10 Member

Hello,

When I can I avoid posting but I am at a loss and I have tried to read as many posts as I can and there is so much finger pointing or run around or miscommunication about the topic that my brain just stopped working and I cannot read anymore. So here it is.

The vast majority of plugins I use are NKS compatible. I have an S88 Mk2 keyboard and I try to load most of my instruments through Komplete Kontrol. I want to use the knobs to fiddle around and have as much tactile fun as I can. It’s my hobby and that’s what makes me smile.

I have an M2 MacBook Pro, I had to update to Sonoma since I also use this machine for work. I have the latest version of Native Access, Komplete Kontrol etc. I have zero updates left to do on any of the software.

I purchased the UVI bundle - which is advertised as NKS compatible and I bought it through Native Instruments to use on my Native Instruments keyboard.  UVI support has a statement that these NKS plugins are fully compatible with Apple Silicon and even Sonoma. Hooray.  Heck I even watched a YouTube channel who does some of my favorite NI product reviews and he was able to use these in Komplete Kontrol on his Mk3 keyboard. I don’t have one yet but my Mk2 should work just fine.

Plugins are installed, NKS installer run through UVI Portal, Komplete Kontrol opened up in standalone so it can complete its scan. I preview the sounds, choose the one I want and click to load. Nope. None of them will load. “Plugin name could not be loaded, as it may not yet support Apple Silicon or VST2 to VST3 migration.”  

I am at a loss. Mr. YouTube guy (I am not sure if I can say who) can do it why can’t I? I am pretty sure it’s not the keyboard, or there would have been a notice when I purchased the bundle.  

Let me be clear, most plugins work great. (All NI and many other manufactures work fine) I basically see these two problems with certain software manufacturers and loading the plugin in Komplete Kontrol.  

1. Migration Error as listed above (Arturia, UVI)
  2. Plugin loads but none of the mapped parameters work with the encoders. They are either blank (Spitfire, Audio Modeling SWAM) or show up in literal Chinese characters (Pianoteq 8) You can use the plugin but any attempt to touch the encoders will cause the DAW (any DAW) and Komplete Kontrol standalone to crash. As a workaround, yes they can be loaded as you would load a non-NKS compatible plugin but we all know that is not ideal. The functionality of NKS compatible is what I want and why I am invested in the NI ecosystem.

So, as I understand it Arturia needs to update their NKS support because it is broken and won’t work until they do. I have read enough posts to know that’s the situation.  But UVI? They literally say on their website that it’s compatible and NI and UVI engages in a cross promotion deal. It can’t just be an “oh well” shrug, kind of issue. I installed the NKS installers from UVI Portal today so I have the current version.

At what point do we get to figure out exactly what it is that is the problem, who needs to fix it and provide some kind of requirement to fix and stay compatible.  Let’s assume for just one minute that this is not an NI issue at all and the 3rd party must fix the NKS files or which VST version it’s pointing to, or remap the parameters or fix some broken association. When? They still continue to advertise they are NKS compatible. They make a sale from a user like myself because I think I will be able to use it with my NI keyboard, but I can’t. Is there some communication that is happening? Or do we simply not care and it’ll get fixed in a year, two or never but that NKS branded logo stays on their website as a badge of lies.

I respectfully thank you for reading this far, I understand I can be long winded, I just don’t know where else to turn. 

Best Answer

• StoicSentry
    Answer ✓
    Options

Update: Ok I have the UVI products working now and I can see why this specific issue isn't seen by many people. I use Falcon, so I don't use UVI Workstation. I don't have older UVI plugins that would need it and Falcon can load everything I would normally need and then some.

Turns out, in order to open up any of these NKS compatible UVI plugins using Komplete Kontrol you need to have UVI Workstation installed as well, they defiantly don't open with Falcon inside Komplete Kontrol. I went back to YouTube and I happened to notice that when someone successfully loaded a plugin from the keyboard Browser - Komplete Kontrol did not list the name of the plugin chain and it said UVI Workstation instead. I quickly installed that and it's working now.

A silly and simple end to that annoyance.

Answers

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,767 mod
    edited January 12
    Options

Arturia NKS3 support is not broken and works fine, you just need to make sure you installed the latest NKS files (if you have silent installs checked in ASC turn that off and select third party resources in the installers) then run a complete plugin scan

UVI NKS are also working for me, maybe they also need a plugin scan, it’s good practice anyway. UVI plugins have supported migration from the start, well before they even supported NKS

• Kymeia
    edited January 12
    Options

Pianoteq NKS are broken in the VST3 and they are aware of that but I posted a fix in the NKS user library (link in my sig)

Spitfire seem to be tardy about fixing their issues and I didn’t even know SWAM had NKS support but don’t have them so no idea what’s up but it’s on them to fix it. NI have provided the means to support migration and support to developers but they have no control over their update schedules. Some developers such as Softube seem to have stopped bothering to update their NKS versions completely

• StoicSentry
    Options

Yes, I actually saw your post on the Pianoteq forums and I am going to try your fix. Thank you for that.

I have actually retested my Arturia plugins and most are working again, I do believe there was an update around the time that they introduced their new V collection so that might be my own fault in not rechecking before finally posting about this.

Audio Modeling does say it supports NKS for their v3 solo products, which I have but all the parameter mappings are blank.

Spitfire will be Spitfire, I have an open bug report with them and we'll see if they dismiss it or not. (I have sent them screenshots and photos of the Japanese characters that I see on all the encoder variables (I think its Japanese characters, I am sorry if I am misidentifying them)

Truly a big concern is UVI and mostly because of the way it was sold to me. I can be patient for 3rd party devs to fix things but I purchased the bundle from NI that was promoted to me and I purposely downloaded the NKS installer from UVI and their support site has listed everything as compatible but it just plain doesn't work. Can't open in Komplete Kontrol at all. That's why I am hoping there is something I did wrong. I mean, NI couldn't have posted a deal they knew their customers couldn't use with their hardware or software? There is one comment on the Native Instruments YouTube about this deal where someone says they are having a problem and is pointed back to UVI but nobody else says there is a problem.

• Kymeia
    Options

It should work for UVI and does for me, they have only recently started supporting NKS but their plugins have migrated from day one so I am not sure what the problem is your end but probably best to ask their support. No one else is having this problem as far as I am aware, maybe you need to try installing the NKS again and running a plugins scan?

Arturia VCollection NKS was fixed in VColl 9 ages ago (a year or so)

• StoicSentry
    Options

I have tried a rescan in Komplete Kontrol and it does not solve the problem. I am using Komplete Kontrol 3.1 which the post says is a requirement. I never installed any UVI related NKS files until this morning so it can't be pointing to something out of date

• StoicSentry
    Answer ✓
    Options

Update: Ok I have the UVI products working now and I can see why this specific issue isn't seen by many people. I use Falcon, so I don't use UVI Workstation. I don't have older UVI plugins that would need it and Falcon can load everything I would normally need and then some.

Turns out, in order to open up any of these NKS compatible UVI plugins using Komplete Kontrol you need to have UVI Workstation installed as well, they defiantly don't open with Falcon inside Komplete Kontrol. I went back to YouTube and I happened to notice that when someone successfully loaded a plugin from the keyboard Browser - Komplete Kontrol did not list the name of the plugin chain and it said UVI Workstation instead. I quickly installed that and it's working now.

A silly and simple end to that annoyance.

• Kymeia
    Options

Yes they are meant for Workstation, would be great if UVI released a version that worked in Falcon too

• Sekrit
    Sekrit Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

Any solution to the Audiomodeling SWAM mapping via NKS to MK2 "S-Series" keyboards would be GREAT!!! I have a MK2 S-61 and SWAM isn't showing/performing ANYTHING regarding the knob encoders. I am frustrated and befuddled.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,603 Expert
    Options

I have some of these available for both Falcon/Workstation with much better mapping available than the official bare bones offerings if you prefer (like most) to use Falcon:

I've supported UVI products for years and many prefer these libraries over the new ones anyway but up to you.

• Kymeia
    edited January 25
    Options

As I said I didn't even know these had NKS support but if nothing is mapped then you can always do the mapping yourself. Often I remap NKS plugins how I want them anyway because companies don't always do a good job of it or to make it fit better what I want to be mapped (eg I just uploaded a remap of Pigments 5 and will probably do the same for AAS Chromaphone soon too as the NKS mapping for that is very limited).

Other than that there's no point complaining to NI if a company do a poor job of their NKS implementation, they just provide them the tools but what they do, or don't do, with them is down to them, so if SWAM have not done NKS properly complain to them (also this may be a migration issue which is also on them to implement properly).

• StoicSentry
    Options

I have been in touch with Audio Modeling on this issue. They said they attempted integration once NKS 2.0 was released so they can support the VST3 version of their plugin. They encountered problems with their framework and the SDK from NI. They have been in touch with NI on this issue but they can't attempt again until a new SDK is released. (that comment is from Audio Modeling on Jan 16, 2024).

I spent about an hour on a call with Spitfire Audio yesterday and spent the entire time screen sharing and showing them the complications of using their products with Komplete Kontrol. After much trial and error it was determined that they indeed have some compatibility issues with Komplete Kontrol and said they will work with NI to fix it for all of their plugins. I am on a Mac, so this really only pertains to that, but in the meantime the only way to use Spitfire plugins with Komplete Kontrol is by running in Rosetta or by loading the plugin directly (as if it were an unsupported VST3) so without any of the added functionality you would get by having using the proper presets. (well ordered and thought out parameter mapping, light guides, etc)