Kontakt for iPad or alternatives

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

So, 30-80 EUR for program that costs 400 EUR on Win/Mac platform. And lots of work to port it to iPad.

• Sedat Senguel
    Sedat Senguel Member Posts: 19 Member

It doesn't have to be switching. You can see it in many different ways. It could be an entry for new users to enter the music market. It could be switching your setup and catching new vibes on the go. There are a lot of iPads and iPhones on this planet and if NI would for example make iMaschine 3 like Beatmaker3 or even "buy" INTUA/Beatmaker3 or make a collab than this could be huge. Beatmaker 3 for example is in my opinion the next best thing to a maschine workflow. On the other hand a service like komplete now or iKontakt for iPad OS could also be great if made compatible with the desktop version. You could start jammin and building ideas in the DAW on your iPad/iPhone and if you want to go work later on that track on desktop/laptop it could work great with iCloud where you could save your projects and open them on the desktop/laptop and finalize or further enrich it with desktop/laptop plugins and what not. So I would definitely love if NI would be more on the mobile music production side of things and would be very open to beta test as well ;-)

Have a nice weekend y'all!

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru

As has been stated, NI could use a subscription approach for this music production environment, of which the iPad would be integral to.

Also, NI would have an income stream from a new line of controllers optimized for this environment.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

A 20 years old codebase does not become iPad compatible very quickly. That is a ridiculous amount of work there. I doubt it will happen.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

That’s not what I said but if you are happy thinking that….

It’s happening since making NI software (and old codebases) compatibles with M1 chips makes it compatible with iPad. NI will need to adapt even UI and sooner or later these ports will be straightforward. I linked days ago how iPad apps can run on M1 with UI adaptation but probably you missed it. Anyways we will see if yes or not. It doesn’t depends on your opinion AFAIK but probably tools are beimg in place meanwhile we are discussing how feasible is or not the process.

Example: https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-on-apple-silicon

I can imagine some amount of work invest into M+ and I’m not so sure about its profitability but I can understand the business model behind it or Komplete suite. The point is where it will be the biggest profitability in the next 5 years so any “amount of work” becomes “profitable”?

Said that I still believe an standalone “NI Kore app receptor” (2 or 3 screens, audio interface and hub…) where plug everything and load NI apps/plugs will be a great product… M+ is that to a certain point but price wise an old mac mini maxxed (ssd+ram) + actual NI hardware can do more for less. Also I can run DjPlayer Pro with DVS support and full midi implementation on cheap iPhone (SE first gen, 100€ at second hand market).

I will end here my contribution. @Kaiwan_NI if you want more on these talk to @Matt_Marshall and let’s talk over discord. I’m bored about the forum and discussing the same topics each time another user ask for iPad or Linux support.

Blessings for everyone!

• nightjar
    edited April 2022

How about a clean sheet approach, with mostly a carry-over of branding?

And only having an initial set of instrument in a growing new catalogue.

Only "recycled asset" perhaps raw audio samples.

• Kubrak

Have you programmed something more complex than Hello World? Making iKontakt as whole new thing would cost fortune. And it would be targeted to closed platform at which one never knows what Apple makes next....

And beside that limited interface, small screen, no keyboard, .....

• Sedat Senguel
    edited April 2022

Well it depends. If they let's say focus on iPad OS you have, keyboard, mouse, midi devices, usb-hubs but I think thats not the point. The point is for example an iPad is a great creative tool for music production on its own. You are directly connected on the touch surface and using the pen to draw in notes in a piano roll or something is a dope experience too. Please watch some videos of Henny Tha Bizness or Haq Attaq. There already is a great community of mobile music producers out there.

They (NI) could even think about a DAW/software in the cloud for the future like Microsoft and Nvidia are doing this with Xbox/Geforce Now (yes I know they both have a bigger budget). Let's collect some cool ideas for the NI people who could take our input and do some deep brainstormings and considerations how a mobile setup could look like. The discussion is not about replacing a system which is working fine (laptop/desktop/daws/plugins). For me it is another way of creating, exploring and having fun with equipment (iPad) many of us already has.

Oh and for the iKontakt and the cost of software development etc....the software I mentioned...Beatmaker3 was built by 2 core developers and maybe some freelancers here and there as far as I know so there are possibilities to build stuff in a smaller setup. Nano Studio 2 was built by one iOS developer. So yes it is not effortless but it is possible to built great software with small teams too.

• Kubrak

If you do SW it must generally work on minimum HW spec. So, in case of iPad, no keyboard, mouse, midi device, USB hub.

2 developers and few freelancers may equal investment of 500 000 USD. Maybe even more. And Kontakt is way more complex than Beatmaker.

Might be feasible if NI provides Kontakt plugin for iPad. But full Kontakt? It would be much more profitable to make Traktor or Maschine for iPad.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

It's possible to build great software with small teams, yes, but it requires lots of risk and upfront funding, for insecure return on investment. I don't think this is something NI would bet on succeeding, and they already have tested the waters with iMaschine... So they already know if such a venture is feasible or not. Spoiler: it isn't, not at the scale NI operates.

• Kubrak
    edited April 2022

I rewrite my last sentence in more straightforward way. :-)

It would be smaller loss to make Traktor or Maschine for iPad than Kontakt....

• Sedat Senguel
    edited April 2022

Yep agreed. I would rather want to see iMaschine3 on iPad or let's say even a sounds.com/komplete now app which is compatible as an AuV3 that could be used within other iPad OS DAWs. That would be superdope and maybe it could bump up the komplete now/sounds.com subscribers as well.

Well iMaschine2 is very limited and it didn't have the features like Beatmaker3 or Cubasis3. These two apps evolved massively and so could the next iPad OS thing from NI evolve. The longer I think the more I love the idea of NI making a sounds.com/komplete now app with the packs that I bought available on iOS to use in other DAWs.

• nightjar
    edited April 2022

Anything gleaned by testing the waters with iMaschine is obsolete. The device capabilities and opportunities in the market are very different now.

• Kubrak

If you think it is the hit, no problem. Write it yourself or hire programmers. You will become rich. Or broke. ;-)

It is better to do things on your own than tell others what they should do.....