Why did installing the new 3.1.0 Komplete Kontrol upgrade remove my old Komplete Kontrol ?

Options
vgmrmojo
vgmrmojo Member Posts: 14 Member

Native access tells me it was installed but it was not. The install button is still visible under KK. I have tried this three times with no success. I will try again later.

Best Answer

Answers

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 921 mod
    Options

To make sure I understand your question:

Which version of KK did you have before?

After completing the KK 3.1 install:

...are you saying KK does not exist on your system?

...are you saying you don't like that it's overwritten in place (e.g. a preference for old UI)?

...are you describing VST2 no longer being available?

• earwig83
    earwig83 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

I'd also like to know what the plan is moving forward with the dropping of vst2. Right now I am staying on 2.9.6 because I want to always be able to open old songs. I feel this push to vst3 is highly problematic and for no good reason for the end user.

Will I be able to install Komplete 2.96. in perpetuity as long as I save a copy of the installer that you guys previously provided? Or will you stop allowing it to be activated on new systems like other legacy products? Does the current version (3.1.0) still allow side installing of the VST2 version? When will that no longer be possible? I think it is very upsetting that this is happening.

I'd love to update to the 3.1.0 version but if it doesn't let me keep 2.9.6 installed for compatibility with old songs, I will simply discontinue use of all Native Instrument products moving forward, included maschine, since that will inevitably get effected sooner than later too. Plus, can NI even be trusted when VST3 goes to VST4? Or will they break all our song files yet again?

While I understand VST3 is totally rebuilt from the ground up, the fact that DAWs can't open a VST2 version in VST3 version is insane. Why they wouldn't use the same plug-in IDs blows my mind. It's essentially the same instrument, same parameters. I realize this is likely on Steinberg and not NI. Saving the pre-set of every instance in which it appears in song files is not exactly viable either.

That said, I had a feeling I would regret using komplete as my synth wrapper. I pushed the thought out of my mind because I loved taking advantage of the NKS standard for plugins while using the M32 controller... I should have just continued loading synths directly in my DAW instead of letting NI become the middle man in my work flow. The company can't be trusted for archival reasons.

Kindly let me know what my course of action is to be able to access songs that used VST2 version of Komplete Kontrol in the future. Is there a link where this is explained in more detail? Thank you.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 640 Pro
    Options

Hi! Not to be too critical about this, but you're asking a lot of questions that may have nothing to do with the OP's question to NI. This could confuse matters, and prevent the OP from getting answers to his difficulty.

• Rikk Show
    Rikk Show Member Posts: 100 Helper
    Options

Steinberg's SDK for VST3 includes a function for migration from VST2 to VST3 even if the product id's are different. It is just a matter of the software developer to have the knowledge and bother to implement it properly.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,863 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

And NI have implemented that in Komplete Kontrol, it's just taken longer for all developers to, but that is out of their hands to a large extent (except for 'NKS Partners') - see list here

• vgmrmojo
    vgmrmojo Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options

After completing the KK 3.1 install:

...are you saying KK does not exist on your system? Yes

...are you saying you don't like that it's overwritten in place (e.g. a preference for old UI)? No

...are you describing VST2 no longer being available? No

• Matthew_NI
    Options

In saying "Yes" to does not exist on your system:

... do you see a standalone application called Komplete Kontrol that you can open?

... in your DAW, do you see a plug-in in the instrument list called Komplete Kontrol? If not, have you rescanned your DAW plug-ins post-install?

• earwig83
    Options

Thank you for this information. How is this achieved? Is there s specific way for me to do it on my end? I'm on a windows PC so most of these VST2 run no problem still. The fear is that I won't be able to authorize vst2 version of Komplete eventually. Which means I need to go into every song and manual convert all vst2 instances of komplete to the vst3 version. Was hoping migration means there is an automated way of doing that. I'm assuming that is unlikely?

• Matthew_NI
    Options

The migration is automatic for all software that supports it.

KK supports it alread.

Hosted plug-ins need to also support it. Some do, some don't (per the list above).

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,102 Guru
    edited December 2023
    Options

@earwig83

As others have mentioned - your questions are outside the scope of the OPs original question, but I will be brief:

Will I be able to install Komplete 2.96. in perpetuity as long as I save a copy of the installer that you guys previously provided?

Yes

Will you stop allowing it to be activated on new systems like other legacy products?

Not that I know of. I am about to build a new DAW this week and KK 2.9.6 will be front and center.

"Does the current version (3.1.0) still allow side installing of the VST2 version?

Never did and never will - there is no VST2 within KK3. And you cannot install KK3 beside KK2. But yes - you can "manually" hack the old VST2 into place with some instructions provided by NI on this board. Why you would want to - does not make a lot of sense to me...anyhoo...

Your best (and really only) course of action is to disregard KK3 for now and stay put on KK v2.9.6

To be even more blunt - unless you own new Komplete S-Series MKIII keyboard - there is NO reason to worry about KK 3.x right now at all.

It is shaky in the bug department and is lacking feature parity with several key functions of KK v2.x

Hope this helps.

VP

• earwig83
    Options

Thank you for your reply and apologies if it was outside of the OPs scope.

"Your best (and really only) course of action is to disregard KK3 for now and stay put on KK v2.9.6"

This is basically what I figured unfortunately.

"Never did and never will - there is no VST2 within KK3. And you cannot install KK3 beside KK2. But yes - you can "manually" hack the old VST2 into place with some instructions provided by NI on this board. Why you would want to - does not make a lot of sense to me...anyhoo..."

It's a bummer because I would like to be able to move forward with 3.1.0 and have 2.9.6 installed alongside so i can work on new songs with 3.1.0 and continue to be a NI Komplete user while still being able to quickly open old songs that need 2.9.6 if I should so choose. That would be the most consumer friendly approach. I'll try the hack again but it was less than consistent each time I followed those instructions. I think NI could get a lot of good will if they simply allowed the installation of both via native access. But I digress.

Appreciate the clarifications!

• Kymeia
    edited December 2023
    Options

And you cannot install KK3 beside KK2

Yes you can, NI actually changed the name of the scanapp for KK3 (to scanapp3) to make this possible after I pointed out the new KK3 installer was overwriting the KK2 version of scanapp with a version that was not compatible with it. They also thoughtfully kept the databases for KK2 and KK3 separate. This is for Mac, no idea if it works on Windows.

1) Install KK2.9.6, copy the standalone application to a new folder in 'Applications" (rename it something like Komplete Kontrol 2)

2) If you want to keep the VST2 plugin of KK2 back this up next (I just zipped it and saved a copy to a backup drive)

3) Install KK3 - it will overwrite the original KK2 but not the copy, it will overwrite the VST3 and AU, but not the VST2 of KK2 (some people have reported it getting deleted in the install - didn't happen to me but that's why I suggested to back it up just in case - then just restore it from the ZIP)

So now you have a standalone of KK2 and KK3 (each with their own separate scanapp and database), plugins of KK3 in AU and VST3 form (best for Apple Silicon) and a legacy VST2 of KK2 (which I run exclusively in Reaper which I have in Rosetta mode).

I also keep KK2 standalone in Rosetta mode so I can load legacy VST2 plugins in that and use KK3 just for Apple Silicon VST3's. I do all my NKS building still in KK2 (and a bit in Maschine) so I needed this on my system as some editing features for NKS were removed (temporarily) from KK3 so it was essential for me to find a way to make them work side by side.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,102 Guru
    Options

" They also thoughtfully kept the databases for KK2 and KK3 separate. This is for Mac, no idea if it works on Windows"

Cool. Thanks for the detailed steps.

Have you seen any anomalies when you go to "update" v3? Does it completely leave v2 alone?

VP

• Kymeia
    Options

Like I said it will overwrite the VST3 and AU versions, I have not tried renaming the plugins although I guess it's a possibility, but I suspect that might cause conflicts. However since the VST2 is locked on KK2 anyway it leaves that alone and I do more work in KK2.9.6 than 3 because that's where get most of my NKS editing done, not had any real problems with that since they fixed the scanapp clash.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,965 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options